Group Buy - Radiator guards from "brian@unabiker.com"

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Group Buy - Radiator guards from "brian@unibiker.com"

Ahah! Someone else has this problem too. I'll post some pics later. But here's what I had to do:

There's a mounting flange and I trimmed off the top part of it so that the two unabiker pieces will mate. There's no problem with doing this since this part of the flange isn't used for anything.

I had to drill a new hole in the flange so that a bolt and nut could be used to join the unabiker side guard to the radiator.

I had to drill a new hole in the unabiker side guard so that it would line up with the existing mounting hole and nut on the radiator.

All in all it was a pretty tight fit but it worked out.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I put the left guard on this morning and now my motorcycle won't start. Will that ground wire stop the motor from firing? The bike turns over well, with the choke on I could smell gas after about 15 seconds of cranking so, I turned the choke off. The kick stand was up, it was in neutral, I had the clutch pulled it so, I don't think I missed any of the basics.

Any suggestions on what I should look for? I really wanted to ride today ...

Old 10-27-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Probably...I couldn't start my bike after loosening the vent hose bracket near the front of the swingarm..turns out there was a ground cable there..result bad ground, wires getting warm, bike would turn over, but was noticeably slower and would not start.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I still haven't got mine yet, very excited though. Just as well I guess, since I already got a bunch of stuff coming over the border (including that cyclops finally) , don't wanna pay duty

Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Derek,

I couldn't make it to the post office before they closed so, your guards won't ship until next week. If I can't ship them before I leave next week, I'll toss them in with my luggage so I can hit a post office somewhere along the way. Those long post office lines and long drives get old real fast on Saturday so I'd rather give up my lunch hour next week and have a little time to prepare for my travels and try to get in a quick ride.

Sid

Old 10-27-2007, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

Probably...I couldn't start my bike after loosening the vent hose bracket near the front of the swingarm..turns out there was a ground cable there..result bad ground, wires getting warm, bike would turn over, but was noticeably slower and would not start.
Turns out the wire from the temperature probe in the radiator was the problem. the bullet connector about 4 inches from the probe was connected optically but, it apparently was loose and didn't make contact.

I'm guessing that sensor "opens" at some temperature to kill the engine if the water gets too hot. Now, I just need to figure out a way to make a better connection so this doesn't happen again.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Derek,

I couldn't make it to the post office before they closed so, your guards won't ship until next week. If I can't ship them before I leave next week, I'll toss them in with my luggage so I can hit a post office somewhere along the way. Those long post office lines and long drives get old real fast on Saturday so I'd rather give up my lunch hour next week and have a little time to prepare for my travels and try to get in a quick ride.

Sid
No rush man, you got both checks? My season is all but done so its not mission critical at all. I dont even know when I'd be able to pick them up from MT anyway. I really appreciate it though.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Today I mounted the right radiator guard. The radiator shroud was a real PIA. The stiffining ribs hit the Unabiker brace so, the whole shroud is warped when you bolt it back on the motorcycle. Moordan mentioned drilling a new hole in the lower raditor shroud brace connection which makes sense now because of the warpage.

Has anyone trimmed the plastic stiffiner that hits the Unabiker brace?

Has anyone found the solution to the clutch cable rubbing the front fender?

Old 10-29-2007, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

ah ***** i was hoping for an easier install

Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

stellar_d...I'm hoping you and I will be OK. Sid's bike is an 07, and I think..I think the bike used for the originals was an 06 (like ours) but keep your fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Group Buy - Radiator guards from "brian@unabiker.com"