GROUP BUY - Front Brake Guards

Old 03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Default GROUP BUY - Front Brake Guards

Alright folks, time to do the group buy thing like with the skid plates, but this time for the front brake guards ala YYY.guy. In case anyone didn't notice, one of our new members (Snal) let it slip that he has a metal fab shop. After YYY.guy posted his updated plans yesterday, I got to talking with Snal and YYY.guy, and it looks like all are on board for Snal to produce a load of the guards for us AT COST.

Of course, the per piece cost goes down with volume, so we want to get as many folks on board with this as possible. We want to keep it within the forum for now, though, since Snal is basically doing this out of the goodness of his heart. If this thing has legs and it shows commercial opportunity beyond us, then I would guess that Snal & YYY.guy will have to get serious about how to split up the millions of dollars of front brake guard money. Just remember the little people, you two.

Anyway, let's do it just like the skid plate thing. If folks will either reply to this post or PM me, I will keep a running list going of who is committed to buy a set (assuming a reasonable price, of course). Once we have an idea of the quantities, Snal can work up a price.

YYY.guy and Snal are going to work together to refine the design a little bit (mainly just clarifying some dimensions for the laser cutting). Snal is planning to produce the parts out of stainless steel.

That's about it for now.

Let me get the ball rolling buy being the first to commit to buy a set. Okay, that's one. Who wants to be #2?

Old 03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Default RE: GROUP BUY - Front Brake Guards

Count me in!! I hope that this will be fairly cheap. Wolfman ate my money.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

im in!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM

+1

Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Chris, I will need to know what thickness was used on the prototype. It looks like .125 in the pics, and maybe he had that info on the PDF...but my blind eyes couldn't find it. I had .078 (14 ga.) stainless in mind, but I can go up to .125.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Count me in............Thanks guys!!!!

Dave

Old 03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I,m in also, and was wondering what the recomendation is for the skid plate. Thanks Jeremy

Old 03-07-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

done

Old 03-07-2007, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Add one more

Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Snal

Chris, I will need to know what thickness was used on the prototype. It looks like .125 in the pics, and maybe he had that info on the PDF...but my blind eyes couldn't find it. I had .078 (14 ga.) stainless in mind, but I can go up to .125.
Larry, I am sure Mike (YYY.guy) will see this and answer the thickness question.

Cool Change, the members of this forum participated in a group design slash group buy project with Utah Sports Cycle last year. The plate can be obtained directly from Utah Sports Cycle or through several resellers. I think the resellers have a little bit better pricing now than USC, but we all got a decent little discount by participating in the group buy. It is a great plate at any reasonable price, though. Definitely a quality piece of work and a great outfit to work with.

I just realized in my opening post that I did not thank Larry (Snal) and Mike (YYY.guy) for their willingness to do this. Mike, as we all know, has already done a big chunk of the hard work in just coming up with a great design and working through a lot of the early labor pains. As I was talking to him to get his greenlight for this project, he ponied right up again and volunteered to collaborate with Larry to work out the fine details. In a similar way, I approached Larry with a request and he took the ball and ran with it, suggesting the volume approach to minimize individual cost and offering to do it for his cost.

I don't know whether it is coincidence or something inherent in the type of person that is drawn to dual-sporting, but these two guys, like so many others that enjoy our little ,passion here are quality dudes.

Thanks to both of you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GROUP BUY - Front Brake Guards