GPS Mapping App's for Phone or iPad?

Old 07-01-2015, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. After a lot of research I have a setup that I think will work well: iPad Mini (Wifi only), Lifeproof waterproof case, ram mount for bike and another for my Jeep, Dual Bluetooth GPS receiver and Motion X HD software with custom maps add-on. I downloaded a very large, custom Google Hybrid map for offline use (stored locally on iPad) and it looks like it will work very well for my poking around off-road on the bike or in the jeep. Also looking forward to trying some NOAA charts for coastal navigation in the boat with the same setup!

Old 07-01-2015, 12:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lj-rubi
I downloaded a very large, custom Google Hybrid map for offline use (stored locally on iPad) and it looks like it will work very well for my poking around off-road on the bike or in the jeep.
how did you do that. I only get the options of MotionX Road, MotionX Terrain or NOAA Marine in my maps download menu........

Old 07-02-2015, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by griffo1962
how did you do that. I only get the options of MotionX Road, MotionX Terrain or NOAA Marine in my maps download menu........
Go to Purchases in MotionX setup and buy the $5 add-on for custom maps. Then use Google to find the URL for Google Hybrid Map server to paste into the MotionX map download tool. Takes a few minutes to figure out but well worth the effort. PM me if you have any trouble.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lj-rubi
Go to Purchases in MotionX setup and buy the $5 add-on for custom maps. Then use Google to find the URL for Google Hybrid Map server to paste into the MotionX map download tool. Takes a few minutes to figure out but well worth the effort. PM me if you have any trouble.
aha, cool. thanks, will give it a try.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, I'll bite...what's wrong with a gen-yoo-wine GPS fully dedicated for this use instead of a vastly more expensive and fragile phone or pad using a downloaded app? You can get a refurbished Garmin or Magellan for not much more than $50 and not have to worry about loss or damage since at that price it's basically disposable. And if you do backcountry work there are topo basemaps available for both, which may be hard to find in a phone app.

But I know...you youngsters think iPhones are the solution to all of life's needs.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by anciano
But I know...you youngsters think iPhones are the solution to all of life's needs.
thanks!! long time since anyone called me a youngster.......

I have sold both of my Zumos and now use an iPad mini. It's much more useful and actually cost less than the Zumo. I did have to "harden" it with a Lifeproof case & mount but I'm sold on it.

g

Old 07-04-2015, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by anciano
OK, I'll bite...what's wrong with a gen-yoo-wine GPS fully dedicated for this use instead of a vastly more expensive and fragile phone or pad using a downloaded app? You can get a refurbished Garmin or Magellan for not much more than $50 and not have to worry about loss or damage since at that price it's basically disposable. And if you do backcountry work there are topo basemaps available for both, which may be hard to find in a phone app.

Yep, at 52 I don't often get called a youngster, so thanks!

Having used every form of printed map and nautical chart, then various forms of dedicated GPS units and marine chart plotters, I will say that this technology is dramatically better...and a hell of a lot cheaper. I have ready access to 10-12 map sources for road, topo (or combined overlays) and NOAA marine charts that are all updated regularly. All are at no cost. I also have a decent quality built-in camera that records location info and links the photos to my waypoints. Oh, and I have weather radar, email, web access, etc all on the same device.

So I no longer carry a dedicated GPS...or a Polaroid camera.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL, I'm also 52, far from a youngster. Well, already have my iphone setup on my bike. 100% waterproof while pluged in and in use. Hell, yesterday I pressure washed the bike while phone was still on the bike. And using the phone right now posting. So, fragile? I think not. Anyway, don't need to spend money, and don't want extra crap on my bars. Iphone does much more stuff than a GPS unit, so prefer to continue using it, plus I like talking to riding group via bluetooth. Just looking for a Navigation app with more options, that's all. For everything it does, it's the way to go IMO. It's been on my bars for 4 years now, and I hardly ever ride street. Mostly tight, technical single track, so it get's beat up with no issues, ever.

Last edited by Werloc; 07-05-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Not to derail, but since we're on the topic...I use both my iphone and a dedicated GPS backup. I've broken my iphone twice. (Within a couple months) One was water for sure - despite being in a RAM waterproof case, th other was faulty 12V to USB converter. Luckily phone company gave me new ones no questions asked.

BUT...all my pictures from the trips and GPS tracks were gone. Felt really bad about it. Since then I carry a dedicated camera with gps tagging.

The technology is great and convenient--it's still my main navigational aid--but can screw you if it dies. Not to mention not as easy to see in direct sunlight like a dedicated GPS. And where I live, tends to overheat being mounted on the bars when stopped.

Just something to think about.

I'm 39.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:41 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

i use a dedicated gps with hard buttons and 2 aa batteries as my primary. my android works great as a backup and is better searching wide areas. however, battery life and operation with gloves, keeps it in the tank bag until stopped.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS Mapping App's for Phone or iPad?