To good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default To good to be true?

I'm sure its to good to be true, plus I'd rather have a BB331. But I'd have to ask, any thoughts...?

Aliexpress.com : Buy Loncin water cooled yf300 set cylinder KAWASAKI klx300 engine block body refires from Reliable refires suppliers on Online Store 721399.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Look at the casting 'quality'. This may be one of those instances where you get what you pay for, and I am not fond of that saying.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Its funny, if you scroll down the first few pics look great but then the last few look like total crap. I guess being able to read the writing would help!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

The same part was posted in the ADVrider KLX250 thread. There was a comment that the company is the same one that made BMW 650 engines or one of them. The general consensus was that it would likely be a good part. Only concern was the need for a different middle tensioner set up and the question if the seller of the component is reliable.

Check the thread out in the last couple pages and read what was said.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh cool. I'll check it out.

Ahhh the BMW 650...damn I want one of those. Maybe one day I'll get a used Dakar or Sertao.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

It looks pretty good...it's about the same price as the core charge from Bill Blue...could be worth buying the 300, then when you get it, you can install and run it, while waiting for your 351 to show up.
Someone in the other thread on ADV mentioned putting in a Wiseco piston or the like.
It's certainly in my immediate price range, I just keep hearing a voice that says, "You get what you pay for."
I don't see why another tensioner would be needed, looks like the same mount to me.
What's the worst that can happen?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I completely agree with the "you get what you pay for" thoughts. My biggest fear would be having a major failure and sending debris through the rest of the engine. At the same time it makes you wonder how Bill charges 175 for a core? I haven't looked around but for 175 I'd almost keep my 250 components "just in case". I think when it comes down to it the 331 kit for 492 or what ever the price is ain't to shabby. Plus hes got a great reputation, hes a small operation and he seems to back his work.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Just remember that is the KTM rider knock against the KLX - you get what you pay for. Pretty soon KTMs will be coming out of India, what will they say then. As said, that company made BMW components. The Chinese can manufacture some good stuff if the QC is strong enough. Of course they can also make some real crap too. It's the company making the parts that counts and it sounds like this one could be a good one.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
I completely agree with the "you get what you pay for" thoughts. My biggest fear would be having a major failure and sending debris through the rest of the engine. At the same time it makes you wonder how Bill charges 175 for a core?.

I have no idea what you mean by that, but he charges that so he can actually have cores to work with. I know, being in a similar business, that one of my biggest problems is that people selfishly never send their cores back, meaning I don't have cores available to modify, and actually have finished product on the shelf.

Loncin is a major engine manufacturer that builds quality engines. I would have no concerns with that barrel or piston.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Makes me wonder how a guy like you deals with it if you ran out of cores. I'd have to guess you'd be doing the work on the customer's part after sent in, making them have to tear down and have the engine sit. I'd think, in most cases, the core charge is at least as much as the cost of a new part or close, to get the buyer to send in their old cylinder.

Heck, I'd make it more, to make sure the core comes in.

Bill probably would have a hard time doing the work if he had to use a new cylinder every time. That Chinese set up is that low due to volume and worker pay in China. i doubt Bill could survive on the labor paid for those cylinders, much less have a business thriving.

Last edited by klx678; 09-06-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: To good to be true?