Good info for installing piston rings..?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Good info for installing piston rings..?

I stumbled onto this diagram from a Honda car website I guess it was.

Thought I'd post it and see if ya'll think it's accurate for most any engine or not..

Old 12-27-2014, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I would propose that the compression ring gaps be installed on the front side of the piston pin, assuming the engine is rotating towards the front. With the oil ring on the other side.
The main force of the ignition is forcing the piston into the rear of the cylinder.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

They rotate in operation anyway, so I don't worry about it.

http://kns.org/jknsfile/v31/A04803285773.pdf

Old 12-27-2014, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Well you might as well start out with them not lined up.
My bike hardly uses any oil, so guess it really does not impact the operation of a klx. But I started mine out right.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Is the Kaw KLX manual incorrect?

Old 12-27-2014, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

There's no reason NOT to start with them in the optimal position, might as well. I just don't lose sleep over it or break out the protractor... because I know they don't stay where I put them anyway.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Broussard
There's no reason NOT to start with them in the optimal position, might as well. I just don't lose sleep over it or break out the protractor... because I know they don't stay where I put them anyway.
This ^^^^

if the rings didnt move there would be no reason to pin them in place as is done on two strokes.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
This ^^^^

if the rings didnt move there would be no reason to pin them in place as is done on two strokes.

Pins in a two stroke serve a definite purpose. Rings may or may not rotate, but in a four stroke it won't make a huge difference. Rotate the end of a ring into a port on a two stroke and you WILL see a HUGE difference. It is a safety measure if nothing else. I have known of a few cases where piston clips came out and did the dirty deed and I think I remember hearing of a pin falling out and letting a ring end move into a port.. nothing good came from either.

As for the diagram, if Honda says it I'd find that hard to fault based on all of their four stroke racing experience.

The Korean research was also interesting. I sure as heck can't contradict either with any legitimacy.

I find the oil ring set up really interesting. Makes you wonder what research and testing brought it down to that 15 degree rotation... why?

I find the point of not having a ring gap on a thrust plane to make absolute sense. Doing so would set up for the end gap to possibly initially groove the cylinder - whether it does is kind of beside the point. Why take the chance.

Last edited by klx678; 12-28-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Pins in a two stroke serve a definite purpose. Rings may or may not rotate, but in a four stroke it won't make a huge difference. Rotate the end of a ring into a port on a two stroke and you WILL see a HUGE difference. It is a safety measure if nothing else. I have known of a few cases where piston clips came out and did the dirty deed and I think I remember hearing of a pin falling out and letting a ring end move into a port.. nothing good came from either.

As for the diagram, if Honda says it I'd find that hard to fault based on all of their four stroke racing experience.

The Korean research was also interesting. I sure as heck can't contradict either with any legitimacy.

I find the oil ring set up really interesting. Makes you wonder what research and testing brought it down to that 15 degree rotation... why?

I find the point of not having a ring gap on a thrust plane to make absolute sense. Doing so would set up for the end gap to possibly initially groove the cylinder - whether it does is kind of beside the point. Why take the chance.
yes, thats why they are pinned because they would move otherwise.

the point being, dont get wrapped around the axle about getting the ring gaps in the perfect spot as they will move anyway.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
yes, thats why they are pinned because they would move otherwise.

the point being, dont get wrapped around the axle about getting the ring gaps in the perfect spot as they will move anyway.

Only caveat would be to NOT align them with each other First it is a direct path for oil to the cylinder and ignited gasses to the crank case - not good. Then I'd kind of wonder if the pressure shooting through could stop the random movement. Of course I also wonder if they ever align in practical experience. But I sold off all my atomic/nuclear equipment and can't do the testing anymore.