Is fully synthetic a no go on the klx250 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDoc46
At 1:45 of MrDuhfactors video, he seems pretty adamant not to use synthetic oil. He is a very competent mechanic. Built a KLX from the ground up pretty much in his series of videos.

This is what has me concerned.
Hm, I've been a MC mechanic since 1981 working in dealerships until a few years ago. I think your over thinking this. But if it's going to help you sleep better at night, then by all means, go back to dino oil. You should to break in that new 351 kit anyway. Unless they say otherwise.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've been running Amsiol full syntetic for 13,000 out of the almost 16,000 miles on my bike. Never slipped once.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

here is Honda's take on its three 4 stroke oils with my highlight on interesting points:

PRO HONDA HP4S
New Pro Honda HP4S is Honda’s first fully synthetic four-stroke motorcycle oil and was quite literally years in the making. HP4S offers lower friction than conventional oils, better oxidation resistance for better high-heat performance, higher film strength and quicker flow to vital engine parts at low temperatures, especially during startup. And best of all, HP4S provides maximum power due to less frictional drag. HP4S is approved for use in all 2006 or newer motorcycles, ATVs, Scooters and PWC (edit note: This might indicate different clutch plate friction material). It is, quite simply, our very finest four-stroke oil. HP4S is compatible with synthetic blends such as HP4, as well as regular petroleum oils like GN4. There is no need to flush the crankcases before switching to HP4S.

PRO HONDA HP4
Thanks to the establishment of JASO standards, HP4’s extraordinary additive package offers increased anti-foaming qualities, a higher viscosity index for stability over a broader range of temperatures, and even greater shear stability than most other oils. Naturally, HP4 blends the heat stability and shear resistance of synthetic oil with mineral oil’s natural lubricity, yielding premium-quality four-stroke engine oil. Best of all, HP4 is approved for use in all Honda Powersports products.

PRO HONDA HP4M
A synthetic/mineral-oil blend that combines the very best qualities of both types, HP4M also features a comprehensive additive package and friction-reducing molybdenum compound for maximum fuel economy and peak horsepower. HP4M—the Pro Honda oil good enough to win a multitude of AMA National championships, as well as the grueling Baja 500 and 1000

One good reason for motorcycle specific oil, made to suit the bike. I did run Mobil1 in my Wing back in 1988 though. Now I just do the bike oil because it isn't that hard to get JASO-MA rated oil for reasonable money.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Motorcycle specific oil exists primarily to extract more money from bike owners. There are equal or superior alternatives at a better price.

I'll say it again in case anybody missed it the first time. The only concern is oil that is labelled as energy conserving. Those additives are the ones that make the clutch slip. All other synthetics are fine in that concern.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Motorcycle specific oil exists primarily to extract more money from bike owners. There are equal or superior alternatives at a better price.

I'll say it again in case anybody missed it the first time. The only concern is oil that is labelled as energy conserving. Those additives are the ones that make the clutch slip. All other synthetics are fine in that concern.
Agreed..

Hey Zomby, what part of sw Ont you from?

Old 11-27-2015, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Between Brantford and Port Dover

Old 11-27-2015, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof

I find it funny when people say stuff like that.

Seems you can buy Shell Rotella diesel oil with the JASO-MA rating at WalMart for about the same money you pay for any car oil.
  • Shell Rotella T $12.97 vs Castrol GTX $15.27
  • Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic $21.36 vs Mobil1 Full Synthetic $25.44
Both Rotella oils have tested for the JASO-MA rating, probably while being tested for the other ratings they have achieved.

In the event you don't understand, Japanese Automotive Standards Organization actually has standards a manufacturer must meet to label their oil with the JASO labeling. There is a real standard that must be met too. Seems SAE is in on it too, participating in the board of the organization doing the ratings. It isn't a scam to score more money, which is quite clear considering Rotella can be bought for a price on par with any of the common popular automotive oils.

There is a difference in the blend package, having additives that will serve better both in a diesel or wet clutch motorcycle engine, otherwise I doubt Shell would bother having any separate branding. It must also have some merit since they actually did have it tested for the rating. Really, if it wasn't a true rating, wouldn't all companies simply have "JASO-MA" added to their labels since it is a selling point for a fair number of users? If it was there in testing, wouldn't they reflect it on the label like these?

Rotella Full Synthetic T6:

Rotella T petroleum:

So it is quite easy to simply make sure the oil bought is JASO-MA rated to easily avoid any conflicting additives in your oil. That's pretty much what I've done since it is quite easy and Rotella, my choice, is easily available as well.

Last edited by klx678; 11-27-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Ah yes...I love the smell of a good motor oil thread in the morning...LOL!

Old 11-27-2015, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Better than farts!

Old 11-27-2015, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

3 topics that are taboo and banned topics on some forums. Politics, religion and oil.

Mazola corn oil, cuz it smells like chicken.....

Quick Reply: Is fully synthetic a no go on the klx250 ?