Fuel conditioners

Old 10-13-2015, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Fuel conditioners

What does everyone do for fuel conditioning? Only ethanol fuel here and season is coming to a close. Thanks

Last edited by s10gto; 10-13-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

If you're planning on putting the bike away for the winter, the best idea is to drain the carb and the tank. Or, Sta-Bil has a good reputation: STA-BIL® Brand Fuel Stabilizer for Gasoline-Powered Equipment

Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

We have one station here with non-ethanol high test.
I use it for my 2T mostly, but I do put it in my other bikes and equipment for storage. Everything fires right up after sitting for a long winter.
If I couldn't get real gas, I would add Sta-Bil or the like, as long as it's says it treats ethanol fuels.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Other option that is a bit expensive - get some race gas from either a gas station that sells it or a bike shop. Virtually all MX bikes are running race gas now.

Drain the tank and fill it to the top with good gas, maybe add some StaBil

I don't drain my carb or turn off the petcock, because the one year I did the float needle seized in the body, I had to tear it down to pull out the needle. Letting it open allows gas to fill if the gas in the bowl evaporates a bit. Then I drain the carb whenever I want to ride. Fires up no problems.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Best stuff on the market! Lucas Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers mixed with premium gas. I have not had a problem with my boat, cars, bikes, small engines since I started using it.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Stabil and/or Seafoam both work for me. Sometimes I use Cam2 or VP race fuel.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, the idea of race gas is that there is no ethanol in it.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Anti ethanol hysteria is just that. It not only makes no difference, but may actually help in a storage situation, where there's likely to be condensation.

Think about it. What do you put in your tank if you suspect you have water in the gas?

Old 10-17-2015, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Actually not sure we have ethanol in gas, not seen anything stating it.

I usually do some StaBil mixed into the last tank of gas. Run the bike until good and warmed up before parking. So tank is mostly full and StaBil mixed in well.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Anti ethanol hysteria is just that. It not only makes no difference, but may actually help in a storage situation, where there's likely to be condensation.

Think about it. What do you put in your tank if you suspect you have water in the gas?
Interesting opinion. Yesterday I started my bike after about 3 weeks parked and it refused to take any throttle for a long time. Tried to ride after a reasonable warm up period and every time I cracked open the throttle the engine died. Had to use the choke for a long time. Normally it starts right up no problem, but when it sits for more than a couple days it runs like crap for a while. At least the carb is much easier to deal with on my klx compared to my v4 magna, which I consider dumping because the fuel craps the carbs up frequently and I am sick of it. Need to get a new FI bike and get past the carb/fuel troubles. My car starts up fine comparatively after weeks of being parked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel conditioners