Front Fender Brace

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Front Fender Brace

My fender with wolfman fender bag with tube inside was rubbing my tire often. So I've been mounting it above my headlight. Works ok, but I need to check the headlight plastic bolts often. One loosened and fell out. So I'm thinking a fender brace would solve the problem.

I've been searching for a front fender brace and I'm not coming up with much. The few on eBay that will ship to Taiwan have pricey shipping. (There's really very few listed anyway. Are these things not popular?)

Anyone have one they're not using, know of some small place selling them who's not at the top of a Google search, or have some tips on a DIY brace?

Old 05-11-2016, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

DIY - All you need is a jigsaw, drill, vice and a aluminium sheet.
If you don't have the tools, get it done from a chop shop.
something simple like this

Old 05-24-2016, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default DIY Fender Brace

After reading the thread on front fender braces, I searched the web for something that would fit my 09 KLX and found nothing so I decided to make my own. I wanted something that would keep the front fender from bouncing crazy over washboard desert roads with a fender bag attached. I also wanted something that could not be seen.

I had a new spare fender that I used to make a pattern with on a piece of card board. I transferred it to a piece of .080 aluminum plate and cut it out. I bent the metal to follow the contours of the under side of the fender. It is necessary to use 4 spacers and 4 new M6 x 35mm Japanese motorcycle bolts to replace the stock short ones. I used a piece of double back tape on the front part to hold the brace tightly against the fender but a small bolt would work. I drilled a small hole should I want to bolt it later. Although this might not be necessary at all. The center larger hole is a relief for a raised spot in the plastic. When installing the brace I found that a little JB Wield helped hold the spacers in place while bolting everything together.

The fender now is a whole lot firmer and better supports the weight of the tool/tube bag.

Below are a few photos that I took of the project.

Name:  DSC00793_zps2nyvyjnx.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  157.5 KB

Name:  DSC00797_zpsmpwpivzv.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  384.2 KB

Name:  DSC00799_zpsivbd0fzf.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  404.7 KB

Name:  DSC00806_zpsw2arodbe.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  271.0 KB

Name:  DSC00802_zpswqphcjl4.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  391.6 KB

Name:  DSC00809_zpsnfzde0pv.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  249.3 KB

Name:  DSC00812_zpshoiiq95i.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  244.9 KB

Old 05-25-2016, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dunerdr
After reading the thread on front fender braces, I searched the web for something that would fit my 09 KLX and found nothing so I decided to make my own. I wanted something that would keep the front fender from bouncing crazy over washboard desert roads with a fender bag attached. I also wanted something that could not be seen.

I had a new spare fender that I used to make a pattern with on a piece of card board. I transferred it to a piece of .080 aluminum plate and cut it out. I bent the metal to follow the contours of the under side of the fender. It is necessary to use 4 spacers and 4 new M6 x 35mm Japanese motorcycle bolts to replace the stock short ones. I used a piece of double back tape on the front part to hold the brace tightly against the fender but a small bolt would work. I drilled a small hole should I want to bolt it later. Although this might not be necessary at all. The center larger hole is a relief for a raised spot in the plastic. When installing the brace I found that a little JB Wield helped hold the spacers in place while bolting everything together.

The fender now is a whole lot firmer and better supports the weight of the tool/tube bag.

Below are a few photos that I took of the project.

Thats better. Good job!

Old 07-03-2016, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Cross posted...

Roll the bends if possible, then sand edges round with fine sand paper. That will hopefully stop any stress risers that could cause cracking. I made a similar bracket for the rear license plate on my KLX650, the aluminum one cracked and almost lost the plate, a second one made of stainless failed as well. Vibration and the constant up down flex caused cracking and breakage at the bends. All it takes is a nick or scratch from cutting to start a crack. Fine finishing of the edges and rolling the bends rather than bending in a sharper radius will reduce the stress riser possibilities.

Another interesting possibility would be to get a scrap fender and double up the inside, but may not be bend resistant enough.

Last edited by klx678; 07-03-2016 at 09:23 PM.