Front Brake Reservoir Screws Stripped

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Front Brake Reservoir Screws Stripped

Ugh, went to change over my brake fluid this morning.. KLX250sf 2009 5.5k miles always garaged.

Rear went well.. But the front reservoir, not so good. Those screws must have fused or something, because using (only good screwdrivers) they would not loosen. They're both shot now.. I mean completely stripped.

I was hoping using the usual jam a flat head in there, just enough to loosen would do the trick, but it didn't. The metal on those screws seems really soft. They just stripped.. Both of them equally.

What are my options on getting them out? Has this been a problem for anyone else?

Maybe I can get away with just a new cap, and diaphragm and new screws.

Given this was the first time since factory, they've been loosened. I'm guessing others have probably had a similar issue ?

Old 06-22-2014, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I had same issue with my 86 vn750. Who knew screwa could be made of cheese right? I ended up using an easy out kit to get the screws out, and just replaced with hardware store stainless steel screws

Old 06-22-2014, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Although those screw heads look like Philips they are in fact JIS standard, just different enough that if they're stuck the head strips.
Try this: get a small SHARP cold chisel. Cut a small notch then tilt the chisel slightly and drive the screw in the out direction.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Then replace them with some countersunk socket head (allen) screws, like I did on my 550. I'll probably do the same sometime on the 650 and 250, but haven't had to mess with the reservoirs yet. I think I still have some of the fasteners laying around - 5mm thread and all. Make sure you use zinc coated or if you use stainless to coat the thread with anti-seize, don't use the black oxide they rust almost instantly. I use the bright zinc coated on the cam chain tensioner hardware. Stainless requires anti-seize to keep from seizing up with other steel or aluminum (I understand it will with aluminum too), the zinc coated seems to hold up fine for years.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

So ordered the genuine screws from my local Kwaka dealer. They'll be here on Thurs / Fri. I also ordered the 'As Seen On TV' !!!!! Speed out.... lol, never thought i'd see the day i fell for that sh!te ! Anyway, https://www.buyspeedout.com/iispout/...tm?mid=4455184

May as well give it a go..... But will wait til Thurs til I have the replacement screws before giving it a go. The front brake is working fine at the moment, so no need to open up the reservoir yet, with no way of screwing it back down.

So to avoid in the future, do all Jap bike mechanics own a set of JIS screwdrivers ? I'll be honest I didn't know there was a different standard for the Japs.

How different is JIS to PZ ? I have some PZ bits, but all my quality X head screwdrivers are Phillips.

It seemed a perfect fit for the rear reservoir. But the front it just chewed, right from the get-go.. Anyway I'll report back next weekend as to whether the speedouts done the trick. Failing that, i'll go to it with a dremel, to make a line... Failing that, I'll just drill the head out completely and go to it from there.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I did this too the first time I tried to open the Brake Reservoir. Its because of the JIS as someone else said. There are other screws on the bike that look like phillips but are JIS. Watch out for them. I dont recommend getting the genuine Kawasaki screws, since they will also be JIS! Just buy some phillips or allenhead replacements or whatever you want.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I just purchased these, for $25 delivered

Robot Check Robot Check

Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no idea why any of you would put another set of phillips type drive screws back in when you could buy a countersunk allen head fastener to replace it at Ace or another good hardware store. Just sayin' why put back in the part that gave you trouble in the first place, besides, if it is black it is black oxide. Can you say "rust"?

If it sounds a bit harsh, it is - I hope to goad you into putting in better quality fasteners when it comes to servicing in the future. Get some good 5mm countersunk allen head fasteners, I think the thread pitch is .8, but that can be checked. Probably under a buck a piece and using a 3mm allen wrench that most likely is laying in your tool box.

Last edited by klx678; 06-23-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I used phillip heads because Lowe's is a **** store and didnt have allen screws

Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
I used phillip heads because Lowe's is a **** store and didnt have allen screws
Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot aren't "good hardware stores". I find some Ace Hardware stores carry a good line of hardware, but the best source is to find a real "old school" hardware store. I have one near me along with an Ace that carries some good selection of metrics. Some industrial fastener supply stores carry metrics too. There was one where I used to live, that carried a good line.

You could see if you can buy some from a Fastenal, but they usually want to sell wholesale quantities.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Reservoir Screws Stripped