Former KLR250 owners: help w/ hard starting!!

Old 11-13-2006, 01:56 AM
Default Former KLR250 owners: help w/ hard starting!!

I've a 2002 KLR250 w/800 miles. 150 with me. It's been somewhat hard starting all summer. Now with 50 degrees, after a below freezing night in the garage, it won't start. I've been kicking at it all afternoon, reading all the forums I can for advice. Most posts say how easy the KLR250 is to start. I'm at 4000 feet and did start, and ride it, a week ago, after several kicks. I've tried adjusting the idle screw and it was serviced a month ago and the mechanic said the valves were fine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Former KLR250 owners: help w/ hard starting!!

I read in the manual that for the KLX 250, the normal plug is a NGK CR8E. They recommend that "for cold weather and /or low speed riding, a hotter spark plug may be used for quicker warm-ups and more efficent engin operation" (shout to Deej, thats page 92..)

They go on to recommend using a "hotter" plug, specifically the NGK CR 7E.

Assuming (man I hate to even type that word....) that all else is running fine... moving to a hotter plug may get you going again....

Dave

Old 11-13-2006, 02:14 AM

Check fuel level and petcock position. Check fuel and carb vent hoses sometimes insects make nest in it and clog it . take the hoses of and blow air thru them Please look away as it will shoot clear actoss the room.If all good Drain bowl of gas into a container to see if there is water in the fuel. Check plug for fouling and coil for spark. Do you have compression? Check for intake leaks at carb base, manifold and head if there is an airleak before the throttle plate it will not draw fuel. Also check rubber carb manifold for cracks.

Hope this helps...

Good luck

The fuel part is basic but i have seen fuel on borderline between normal and reserve and cause that kind of trouble, Also there is a small fuel filter at the fuel intake on the carb that can clog with debris, also how long has the gas been sitting.
Some gas goes bad in as little as three weeks>

Old 11-13-2006, 03:22 AM

lefty,

Any more information about your bike might be helpful is diagnosing the situation.

Stock jetting?

Not stock - what sizes main, pilot and what have you done with the needle.

Otherwise it's simply guessing.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:18 AM
1st Gear Member

My KLR250 was very sensitive to gas quality (not octane, but how "stable" the gas was). Judging from your low mileage, it sounds like your bike does a lot of sitting between rides.

I had drained my carb bowl of old gas and put fresh gas in the tank, but the old gas had already done its "dirty work". I had to spray starting ether into the air intake to get it going, then for the first couple minutes, keep blasting spurts of ether just to keep it going. After a bit, it would run, but very erratic. The fresh gas started dissolving and flushing some of the gum deposits, but it took a full carb tear-down & cleaning to get it to run smooth.

I don't know how your little below freezing cold snap would factor into this, but bad gas was the culprit in my case.

On the bright side, when I took the bike to the dealer to clean the carb and checkup on a few other things, that's when the Service Manager showed me the new KLX250. Fast forward to the end of story: I traded in my "R" for an "X" and never regretted it!

Mike

Old 11-13-2006, 09:50 PM

All stock.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:12 AM
1st Gear Member

LeftyS7,

My klx250s is hard starting after is sets a couple of days. My remedy is to loosen the first hose clamp at the air filer box, inject a small amout of gas. Should fire if al else is ok.

I'm thinking the fuel has evoperated a little to much for the fuel enrichment circuit to pick it up.

I haven't done the cheap mods as of yet. If that doesn't cure that problem I'll install an intertube
air valve in the tube before the carb. Unscrew the cap add alittle fuel get it started put the cap back on. get on ride off and stop crying. ( I HOPE ).

Old 11-14-2006, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member

My KLX is a bit hard to start after about a week, someone posted somewhere to pull the choke open and closed while engaging the starter so I tried it and it works [8D]

Old 11-14-2006, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: LeftyS7

I've a 2002 KLR250 w/800 miles. 150 with me. It's been somewhat hard starting all summer. Now with 50 degrees, after a below freezing night in the garage, it won't start. I've been kicking at it all afternoon, reading all the forums I can for advice. Most posts say how easy the KLR250 is to start. I'm at 4000 feet and did start, and ride it, a week ago, after several kicks. I've tried adjusting the idle screw and it was serviced a month ago and the mechanic said the valves were fine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Lefty57,

As I read your post, I have to think that you probably have some pretty stale gasoline in that particular bike. I mean if you bought it with 650 miles on it and you've put 150 miles on all summer, I would think that the gasoline is probably 3 to 6 months old! If there was not any stabilizer in the gas, there is your problem.

To begin with, I would do this:

1, Drain the gas tank and refill with fresh gasoline.

2. Drain the gas in the lines by removing the screw on the carb bowl.

3. Get the bike started.

4. Add 4 ounces of Seafoam to the gasoline tank.

5. Take the bike on a ride to use all of the fresh gasoline.

6. Fill the tank back up with fresh gasoline, once again treated with Seafoam - 1 ounce per gallon.

The bike should now start easier. If not, I would now do this following:

1. Loosen the carburator clamps so the carb can be rotated.

2. Remove the screw that holds the throttle cable bracket to the carb.

3. Remove the throttle cables.

4. Turn the carb so the bottom of the carb can be seen.

5. If the bottom of your carburator does not look like this . . . . .

Name:  Theresthepilot.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  55.6 KB

You will need to drill out the cover on the pilot jet adjustment screw and set it for 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 turns out. I have seen them completely closed. That will make your bike very hard to start.

Let me know how this works.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Since picking up my FJR in June, my KLX has been sadly neglected. I've still got less than 1,500 miles, I'm ashamed to say

In late October, I went to ride it and it wouldn't start. This was after sitting idle on the trickle charge for about 3 wks. It cranked fine but wouldn't catch. I ended up draining the float bowl and refilling and it started right up. I'm guessing the crappy EPA gas we have to use around here collects water faster than the old stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Former KLR250 owners: help w/ hard starting!!