Foot Peg Relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Foot Peg Relocation?

I have seen a couple of threads about this and won't to see if there are any elegant ideas or solutions.

For me the pegs could be a bit farther back. Not a huge amount but some. Standing leaves me kind of crammed up and sitting makes me feel like I could use a little pressure forward on the pegs to keep me from leaning back in the wind. Maybe a tad hard to explain. I get to ride so many bikes I think I have a good feeling that peg relocation would do a ton for me.

It is enough to make me have to think a bit harder about how the bike will work for me.

It seems like ludicrous but my TW200 has better on road comfort and the ergos work better (I have risers).

Tonight I road home a 2014 BMW r1200gs adventure. I won't go on about that bike but it also has a much more natural foot placement.

As a reference I am just about 6' also and 33.75 inseam. The KLX is not too tall at all.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

You are to tall for the bike. The KLX250 was not made to fit the 6' tall person. To add to the problem you have longer legs than most 6' tall people or at least on the longer side.

How do I know this? Well I am like 6'1 but only have a 32 inseam and my KLX while riding around town just seems small. I want to slide my feet back more on the pegs. This could be due in part to mainly owning sport type bikes over the years which usually had custom rear-sets so I could fit the bike in comfort.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9.../rz0921051.jpg

Think about it??? Where is the KLX250 built? Where is it the most popular in the world?? Did you say Asia? How many 6' tall Asians are there?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tkm433
You are to tall for the bike. The KLX250 was not made to fit the 6' tall person. To add to the problem you have longer legs than most 6' tall people or at least on the longer side.

How do I know this? Well I am like 6'1 but only have a 32 inseam and my KLX while riding around town just seems small. I want to slide my feet back more on the pegs. This could be due in part to mainly owning sport type bikes over the years which usually had custom rear-sets so I could fit the bike in comfort.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9.../rz0921051.jpg

Think about it??? Where is the KLX250 built? Where is it the most popular in the world?? Did you say Asia? How many 6' tall Asians are there?
I think in the end you are right. Although some folks my size do ride the bike for general comfort is is a bit small. I rode it home today and I am better sitting a bit farther back on the seat but that is not ideal for weight distribution and puts more stress on the rear suspension.

EDIT: I am glad you said that is it got me thinking. It may not be so bad if I had a taller seat. That would take up some of my leg length making allowing more comfort closer forward and I bet even more comfortable foot placement.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-04-2014 at 02:56 AM. Reason: New thought
Old 04-04-2014, 03:27 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hmmm...6' is too tall for this bike?...I disagree. It may be too big for you, but if it is, it's because of some personal preference about your physical ergonomics. I'm 6' and I think the bike fits just right. I've owned, ridden, and even raced many types of bikes, most of them being dirt oriented. My bike is an '06, but I've also ridden the '09/later model too. On a dirt oriented bike, your knees should be up a bit and little forward...at least when seated in the normal position. You use your knees even more on a dirt bike to help handle and steer the bike. If you're sitting more upright and in a chair-like position, then you're trying to sit on the bike incorrectly...at least for optimum handling. Finer ergonomics should be tuned by handlebar position and/or handlebar shape/type. Now look...I'm not saying that this or that person might not indeed be uncomfortable, but I don't think it's some kind absolute as it pertains to the KLX. I would be curious to see how many who felt the bike's ergonomics were way off had ridden actual dirt bikes for any time. And for those who feel the pegs need to be further back, maybe you're not scooted forward enough, which is really the way you normally sit on a dirt bike. And of course I realize that everyone is not built exactly the same.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Hmmm...6' is too tall for this bike?...I disagree. It may be too big for you, but if it is, it's because of some personal preference about your physical ergonomics. I'm 6' and I think the bike fits just right. I've owned, ridden, and even raced many types of bikes, most of them being dirt oriented. My bike is an '06, but I've also ridden the '09/later model too. On a dirt oriented bike, your knees should be up a bit and little forward...at least when seated in the normal position. You use your knees even more on a dirt bike to help handle and steer the bike. If you're sitting more upright and in a chair-like position, then you're trying to sit on the bike incorrectly...at least for optimum handling. Finer ergonomics should be tuned by handlebar position and/or handlebar shape/type. Now look...I'm not saying that this or that person might not indeed be uncomfortable, but I don't think it's some kind absolute as it pertains to the KLX. I would be curious to see how many who felt the bike's ergonomics were way off had ridden actual dirt bikes for any time. And for those who feel the pegs need to be further back, maybe you're not scooted forward enough, which is really the way you normally sit on a dirt bike. And of course I realize that everyone is not built exactly the same.
And I think your right too I actually did not think the bike was too small per se as I have a tw200 for gods sake! Since its a dual sport I would want some dual sporty comfort though.

I think its just dialing in the ergos a bit more. Most real dirt bikes I have been on don't have the large slope from the tank. For instance take a look at the KTM bikes. The seats are pretty much flat front to rear. So sitting forward does not pitch you back. I feel this wold be a lot better for me combined with a riser and bars that have less sweep. I change the bar on the TW200 and that allowed me to sit closer and feel natural. So I know that will help.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I had same problem as Stephen, so I built my own pegs, a little over 1" further back and also lower.
It just takes a welder, chop saw and a grinder.
Name:  IMG_0096.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0093.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  43.7 KB

The right side is piece of 4" angle cut on 45 deg angle

The left side is 2 pieces of 2" angle welded together. I cut old peg off and ground it flat, drilled / tapped it. Drilled and tapped another hole just in front of kickstand with a tapered spacer to align peg mount.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by John65
I had same problem as Stephen, so I built my own pegs, a little over 1" further back and also lower.
It just takes a welder, chop saw and a grinder.

The right side is piece of 4" angle cut on 45 deg angle

The left side is 2 pieces of 2" angle welded together. I cut old peg off and ground it flat, drilled / tapped it. Drilled and tapped another hole just in front of kickstand with a tapered spacer to align peg mount.
You did a great job with that.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
You did a great job with that.
Thanks, the right side was really easy and it could have been done with flatbar as well, but I had the angle iron so.....
The left side took a good bit of head scratching, to figure out a way to make it strong enough..

I'm old and retired, so I have plenty of time and very little money......

Link to some of my other mods
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...21590/page119/

Last edited by John65; 04-04-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I did a little test today and rode the bike to work with a towel folded over several times. I bet it got me up a good 2 inches. Much better. If the bars were a taller and less sweep I would be in a good position. I think I can make it work. Too bad I have to go to a custom seat ($400 +-).

On another note my wife is pushing me to get a bigger bike. Could be worse I guess. I am pretty sure a nicely modded KLX would be tons of fun. I like simple light bikes.

Having said that the new Monster 1200 I rode home tonight was like a circus ride. Super fun.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
I did a little test today and rode the bike to work with a towel folded over several times. I bet it got me up a good 2 inches. Much better. If the bars were a taller and less sweep I would be in a good position. I think I can make it work. Too bad I have to go to a custom seat ($400 +-).

On another note my wife is pushing me to get a bigger bike. Could be worse I guess. I am pretty sure a nicely modded KLX would be tons of fun. I like simple light bikes.

Having said that the new Monster 1200 I rode home tonight was like a circus ride. Super fun.
I'm in agreement with you again. I have a KLR650 with all the same mods as the KLX, but since I got the KLX like I want it, I rarely ride the KLR.
I use a sheepskin cover on the seat, which raises it a little over an inch and I have ATV High bend bars with 7/8" risers under them.

Since I put the 330 big bore kit, this bike is perfect for me, and I still have much less money in it than a WR250 would have cost me.

Quick Reply: Foot Peg Relocation?