FMF Q4 exhaust, tight to airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Well lets see the mod? I'm pretty sure the muff is for my 09. I bought it used from a member here with an 09+.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Well lets see the mod? I'm pretty sure the muff is for my 09. I bought it used from a member here with an 09+.
Did this very quick mod to the exhaust to lower it 8-10mm.

Will think of something a little more permanent in the future......

Just caught the melting in time but some damage was done! I now have a 1cm gap between pipe & airbox. Very annoying on a big name exhaust system!!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you do the same with the other muffler bolt? Seems that you would have to. And the header pipe allows that much flex without putting a load on it?

I sure don't want to have to rig something up like that but I also don't want to have to replace the air box or use header wrap. Ugh. The good news is that the hole would be on the dirty side of the filter.

I haven't been able to test the new muffler due to building a shed before the winter comes. It might not even melt it. I wonder if it would be wise to disconnect the air injection system in hopes of cooling the exhaust?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had my Two Bros M7 slip-on installed for ~7000km and it runs VERY tight to my air box. Initially the bottom corner of the box heat-deformed slightly but it has not since melted through or caused any functional problems with either the intake or exhaust systems…

Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Did you do the same with the other muffler bolt? Seems that you would have to. And the header pipe allows that much flex without putting a load on it?
Yer, did the the same with the other bolt. Tightened up the header bolts & there seems to be no extra noise or gas leaks! So I can relax for a while before working out a proper fix.....

Old 06-29-2015, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, just noticed smoke billowing up, smelled like plastic. For sure, big *** hole melted through my airbox. FMF Powerbomb header with Powercore 4 muffler on my new to me 2009 KLX250s. Like said earlier in this thread, ok cuz it's on the dirty side, but that's the lowest part of airbox, and I do some deep water crossings with the bike. So, now I "need" an airbox ASAP. Gotta try to lower this exhaust a little and try to patch mine somehow until I find a used one. Ain't paying $110 for a new one, that's for sure...... Don't know why it didn't melt eariler. Had the bike for a few weeks now, and didn't melt until yesterday. For no reason, all of the sudden it touches now....WTF...?? Why couldn't it have done this while was test riding at seller's house. Could'a offered less $$$ than I did. Oh well, just my luck.

Anyone have an airbox lying around ya wanna sell....??....

Last edited by Werloc; 06-29-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

When I did my exhaust, I spotted the clearance issue immediately.

Put on a thin layer of High Temp Peramtex under some aluminum heat tape and haven't had an issue so far (200+ miles)

Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I knew the issue from reading/researching in here before I installed the FMF stuff - You get it when you research "melted".. So, like PWJM, I also observed the close clearance - Unlike PWJM, I simply uttered a chant that protects my airbox.

Oh, and I used crowbars and other medieval stuff to increase the gap - and with the help of animal hides, I did it without even marring the finishes.. Now the passenger footpeg makes a little contact as it goes down to the ""But Honey, my butt won't fit back there, why cain't I drive" - I mean " You git on back" ...... position..

Last edited by Klxster; 06-29-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Werloc
... Anyone have an airbox lying around ya wanna sell....??....
contact this guy:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...nything-42998/

Old 06-29-2015, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, well, I bought the bike like this 2 weeks ago. If I would have installed the exhaust, I would have delt with it then and there.

Quick Reply: FMF Q4 exhaust, tight to airbox?