The Finale: 2012 KLX250S after mods DYNO CHART and VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default The Finale: 2012 KLX250S after mods DYNO CHART and VIDEO

This thread is outdated and superseded - Continued research and dyno testing, producing truly amazing power levels, can be found in the links on my Signature line. The latest of which is here:https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...klx250s-44229/

Mods are completed. Installed #132 Dynojet main in place of the #128 because previous pull (in blue) indicated a lean AFR for max power. The run today is in red.

Please take the time to learn about dyno's and how charts are affected by the calibration, algorithms used, and the operator. I started here The Truth About Dynamometers and I can say that my operator makes "clean" runs with the machine set up and calibrated for SAE corrected rear wheel horsepower. "SAE smoothing 5" is readily apparent in the upper right corner of the chart but you wouldn't know it is rear wheel hp except by me telling you that is what the operator told me. I also learned that a AFR lean spike on my older run was due to the operators' handling of the throttle and that I should ignore it. I also learned why my operator told me that crank hp is calculated at an extra 20%.

So, if you want to compare my chart to others, be sure your comparing apples to apples.

Todays' results:
Horsepower Rwhl 19.75 est.@ crank 23.7
Torque Rwhl 14.8 est.@ crank 17.76

[Edit on 1/29/2013]
The Kustom Kraft Dynojet chart for a stock KLX is a complete Dynojet chart that looks valid. Kustom-Kraft.com - Big Bore Kits, Cylinder Repair, and Crankshaft Rebuilding
In that vein, I have nearly 20% increase in horsepower and a 27% increase in torque over their stock KLX.

Notes:
Pulls were in 4th gear. Very important to know as other gears will create different numbers.
The figures are SAE corrected to 77° F and 29.23 Hg at the rear wheel and
the smoothing factor of 5 was used.
It was hot - 99°F and I rode the bike to the Dyno, so it was hot as well.
The bike was run hot and ingesting ambient temp(hot) air. No "cold air to the airbox" tricks or any other tricks were used to inflate the numbers.
Elevation is 490ft ASL.

The #132 jet caused a noticeable increase in power to the seat-of-the-pant dyno. Notice the bike now makes up to (about) 1 horespower more in the upper range.

The Video shows how much fun the bike is now, after doing the mods I learned of in this Forum. Keep in mind that the bike was not making 19.75 rwhl hp in this video. It was making less - perhaps a lot less - as it was 99 degrees F outside. The 19.75 is a corrected number, remember?

So, to recap - 2012 KLX250S, Dynojet stage 2 using the #132 main jet, Airbox lid removed, Exhaust header port matched to exhaust port, DG slip-on, Marcelino's cam mod (both cams and ACR)

The total cost of these mods is $206.00 and it is my belief that the bike gained as much as 5 horsepower over stock.
MAH00088 - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails The Finale: 2012 KLX250S after mods DYNO CHART and VIDEO-final-dyno-pull-.jpg  

Last edited by Klxster; 09-15-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Final report:

Mods are completed. Installed #132 Dynojet main in place of the #128 because previous pull (in blue) indicated a lean AFR for max power.

Todays' results (in red):
Horsepower 19.75
Torque 14.8

Notes:
Pulls were in 4th gear.
The figures are SAE corrected to 77° F and 29.23 Hg at the rear wheel and
the smoothing factor of 5 was used - see upper right corner of chart.
Add %20 to estimate numbers at the crank.
It was hot - 99°F and I rode the bike to the Dyno so it was hot as well.
Elevation is 490ft ASL.

The #132 jet caused a noticeable increase in power to the seat-of-the-pant dyno. Notice the bike now makes up to (about) 1 horespower more in the upper range.

The Video shows how much fun the bike is now, after doing the mods I learned of in this Forum.

So, to recap - 2012 KLX250S, Dynojet stage 2 using the #132 main, Airbox lid removed, Exhaust header port matched to exhaust port, DG slip-on, Marcelino's cam mod (both cams and ACR)

The total cost of these mods is $206.00 and it is my belief that the bike gained 5 to 6 horsepower over stock.
So you are saying a stock KLX makes 13~14 HP? That is why a pull before and after the mods is important. I think the KLX would only gain one or two "Peak" HP with the mods. However the mods may have increased HP significantly in a certain RPM range that is below peak HP.
I also don’t think that there is a 20% loss through the gear box. Maybe more like 7 to 10%. I can see using 20% for a car due to having to go through the transmission and the differential. There is much more resistance in a car transmission then there is in a motorcycles transmission especially an automatic.

Last edited by cmott426; 08-01-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

"The Finale"...is that a promise?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Uh. I have seen dynocharts of stock KLX making 19 hp.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

If anyone has a stock KLX250S in North Texas ( DFW area ) , I WILL PAY FOR YOUR DYNO RUN AT TWISTED TECHNOLOGY.

They claim to be rated, by Dynojet, #1 in Texas. They will not use any of the numerous shady/underhanded methods to produce bigger numbers. I trust them and feel that we all can.

My constant research online for SAE corrected rear wheel charts on a stock bike has turned up nothing I feel I can trust. So I will provide this forum with one.

Last edited by Klxster; 08-01-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I think your dyno curves have a lot of credibility. I mentioned some doubts here (and got lightly roasted for it):
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...&postcount=448

At least your curve alters the shape of the power/torque curves, with a bit of boost in the 5-7K area, versus the standard curves. Marcelino's curves show much better high RPM power which seems at odds with what he says about the effects of the cam timings.

As other peeps have pointed out, it's not so useful to look at the actual value on these curves, but surely the shape provides useful info?

Old 08-01-2013, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

DT175MX, I agree with you completely. I use that sharp, cam mod, torque rise - starting at about 4000rpm - to pull those wheelies in the video. The better shape on the horsepower curve in the upper rpm range is the increase I felt on the bike after putting in the #132 jet and prompted me to re-dyno to see what a noticeable seat-of-the-pants increase really looks like. Now we all know.

The Marcelino cam mod is priceless. I'll bet he grew tired of having to defend it. I think his bike was a euro spec EFI. I think those bikes have different curves than my US spec bike. I'll keep my opinion about his chart to myself as doing otherwise is counterproductive on this forum. You should read #457 on the MCM thread.
The only missing piece of the puzzle is a trustworthy run on a stock bike. Which I will pay for at my local dyno shop if someone provides the bike.

Last edited by Klxster; 08-01-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Nikolaj Lykke, I have seen charts and read a ton of " I saw a chart once that....." they range from 24hp on down.... It's time someone provides this forum with a baseline chart taken without any agenda. I am going to try to do just that.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tnc
"the finale"...is that a promise?:d
This.

Last edited by Fuller_Malarkey; 08-01-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: edited to add hope.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

So what now....
A lightened flywheel won't add power but will change power delivery. The cost is probably under $100 but is it worth it? I'm not sure...

A megabomb header is over $200 and has no heat shield. There was once a supplier of carbon fiber heat shields for the megabomb but they cost another good chunk of money. Is it worth it ? I'm not sure...

Head porting ? I'd like information on the cost/benefit but haven't found any on a stock bore.

Of course the 351 kit.. Its' going in when my kid blows the top end on the bike..lol

Thoughts ?

Quick Reply: The Finale: 2012 KLX250S after mods DYNO CHART and VIDEO