A few ride videos

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A few ride videos

Links to a few youtube ride videos I've posted up recently.

one fairly steep trail with lots of loose rocks:

Some real bushwacking on the KLX:

Mostly bad video angles (gopro aiming down too much), but does give a different perspective:

My son riding my Goldwing, with his wife on the back, grinding the highway pegs around a corner:

Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Love the sparks! Nice to see someone really riding a Wing!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

On the first video, you need to be standing on the pegs and going 3 times faster, trust me its easier.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Love the sparks! Nice to see someone really riding a Wing!
He's used to riding his WR250X, which is capable of much more lean than the Goldwing - sometimes he forgets he's on the Goldwing and puts just a little too much lean in on a corner. I was following behind on my Ninja 300.

The only problem is that it was a bolt that holds the highway peg on, so it was a 'hard attached' part, rather than the footpegs, which fold up a little when you touch down, so once it's touched down, you can lift your foot a little, it's just going to scrape. He took a good 1/2" off the end of that bolt in that corner. There's a shorter bolt on there now, but not sure if the footpeg or the bolt is going to touch down first now.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
On the first video, you need to be standing on the pegs and going 3 times faster, trust me its easier.
That and relaxing a bit more on the bars/grips. I was a little hesitant to go much faster because of all the loose rocks, and it's hard to tell in the video, but it's actually fairly steep there. In the off-road videos, i'm following my friend on his WR250R - he's very much a sit-down type of rider - he learned that way and is comfortable that way, so not much changing that. I find that I tend to get more worn out when I'm standing than sitting, but will stand for certain sections.

Last time I was out, I was going faster, and ended up hitting about an 8-10" around rock that was completely loose - as soon as I hit it, I hit the gas to 'push' over the rock, but as soon as the front wheel touched the rock, it rolled to the side and the bike went over on its side and me and the bike went down on the side in the sharp rocks (unfortunately, the GoPro wasn't rolling for that section).

Luckily, I wear MX boots, knee/shin pads, elbow/forearm pads and a chest protector with shoulder protection (the shoulder armor had some big gouges in it after from the sharp rocks I landed on), so I had no injuries to myself, and the bike just had the handguard bent and scratched up and a gouge in the swingarm.

So, after that, I'd slowed down a little this trip, when I was in all the loose rock. Plus there's sections of loose rock (right around 2:50 in the first video), where it drops off about 100 ft to the side, so if you get off the trail, you might be spending some time trying to drag your bike back up a very steep slope or worse.