A few pics of my Trailtech Vapor install and more mods!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yeah Mikey it would be perfect. You would just want to get 2 magnets and it would be as simple as switching out the wheel and entering in the corresponding number for the circumference of the tire.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not looking to shave weight for the purpose of making the bike seem or be faster. If that were the case I wouldn't have sold the KTM. The bike being faster does NOT make me better offroad.

I'm looking to lose some weight to make the bike handle better. 5 pounds off a 300 pound bike is noticeable. 15 feels like a dream. If you've never done it I suggest you try. The key is finding 15 pounds that doesn't cost a lot or is contained within something that should be replaced anyway.

I don't think I'll add a skidplate because I had both a KLX300 and a KDX220 with the same stock skidplate and found it to be plenty of protection. I've never had a HD tube and never blew a SD on the trail anyway.

So I'm left with headlight/speedo, rack/fender, exhaust and battery. Everything else is necessary. Although I kinda wonder about the e-start jazz cause my 300 was wicked easy to kick. E-start is, admittedly in my old age, a pleasant convenience and the weight of the starter is carried low so I'll tolerate it.

Losing weight is not an option cause I'm 6-1 195 and all muscle anyway. Plus the sensation we refer to as "flickable" is produced by minimizing the mass (and thus inertia) of the bike as a ratio of the total rider/bike mass. When the rider loses the weight it increases the ratio of bike/total mass and doesn't produce the same pleasing sensation.

Heavier springs are on the way. A revalve is likely.

So, I'm left with the old addage that "lighter is righter" when offroad. I'll report in with weight loss figures as they occur slowly over time.

Er, sorry to have hijacked the thread. Your changes look great.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you going to construct a bracket to hold the lower end of the headlight?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan
I'm not looking to shave weight for the purpose of making the bike seem or be faster. If that were the case I wouldn't have sold the KTM. The bike being faster does NOT make me better offroad.

I'm looking to lose some weight to make the bike handle better. 5 pounds off a 300 pound bike is noticeable. 15 feels like a dream. If you've never done it I suggest you try. The key is finding 15 pounds that doesn't cost a lot or is contained within something that should be replaced anyway.

I don't think I'll add a skidplate because I had both a KLX300 and a KDX220 with the same stock skidplate and found it to be plenty of protection. I've never had a HD tube and never blew a SD on the trail anyway.

So I'm left with headlight/speedo, rack/fender, exhaust and battery. Everything else is necessary. Although I kinda wonder about the e-start jazz cause my 300 was wicked easy to kick. E-start is, admittedly in my old age, a pleasant convenience and the weight of the starter is carried low so I'll tolerate it.

Losing weight is not an option cause I'm 6-1 195 and all muscle anyway. Plus the sensation we refer to as "flickable" is produced by minimizing the mass (and thus inertia) of the bike as a ratio of the total rider/bike mass. When the rider loses the weight it increases the ratio of bike/total mass and doesn't produce the same pleasing sensation.

So, I'm left with the old addage that "lighter is righter" when offroad. I'll report in with weight loss figures as they occur slowly over time.

dj, I pulled my skid plate off last week due to my recent Utah trip. In this pic, which does the dent no justice, you see a dent that was as big as a softball. That one spot is supposed to be straight. I had to hammer that thing out and restraighten the little frame loop that protects the water pump. Without a true wraparound skidplate like most of these aftermarket units, I don't think the frame loop or water pump would have survived. Still, if you ride where rocks, logs, and ledges are not an issue, then indeed you might get by with the stock stuff. My XR's, KDX's, Huskies, KLR's, and other dirt bikes that had full skid plates all had skid plates that looked like they blocked an IED when I got rid of those bikes.

Attached Thumbnails A few pics of my Trailtech Vapor install and more mods!-skidplate-1.jpg  

Last edited by TNC; 06-05-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 06-05-2012, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Figured I would post these up:

looks like a really clean setup, did you fab up that bracket yourself? whered you relocate your key to or did you replace it with that toggle switch? and one more question to pick your brain.. i have an 07 klx and since my gauges are all busted i was looking into the vapor kit but i can find it on their site. whered you get yours from? i found kits on ebay but im a little weary about getting ripped off

Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
dj, I pulled my skid plate off last week due to my recent Utah trip. In this pic, which does the dent no justice, you see a dent that was as big as a softball. That one spot is supposed to be straight. I had to hammer that thing out and restraighten the little frame loop that protects the water pump. Without a true wraparound skidplate like most of these aftermarket units, I don't think the frame loop or water pump would have survived. Still, if you ride where rocks, logs, and ledges are not an issue, then indeed you might get by with the stock stuff. My XR's, KDX's, Huskies, KLR's, and other dirt bikes that had full skid plates all had skid plates that looked like they blocked an IED when I got rid of those bikes.
Ya, rocks and ledge large and small are a part of my everyday rides. I've always had skidplates as well, except on the KLX and KDX. The odd thing is I hit the obstacles just as hard with the KLX and KDX as I did my KTMs, huskies, etc with skidplates and just never had the damage. My skidplates looked like hell as well. I think a lot of it may have been because the skidplate sticks out beyond everything else.

Course those are probably famous last words that I may eat as I contemplate the purchase of a new lower end following a big hit...

I'm hedging my bets with an offer to trade a nice skidplate for the Kolpin 1.5 gallon aux fuel tank/bracket that came with my bike. Seems I never ride more than about 50 miles offroad so the add'l fuel is worthless to me. Nice looking unit though.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan

I fully agree. I would take 15lb off before any hp gain if that was possible without loosing functionality and/or reliability. Those lightweight and powerful DS bikes from KTM and Husky are too fragile for my taste (maintenance wise). Thus I keep my KLX...

Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Are you going to construct a bracket to hold the lower end of the headlight?
I'm not sure, I kind of like having the bungie cord because it makes disconnecting things a snap. Plus, I'm not all that sure that a bracket would look any cleaner. If I can figure out something that looks clean I will definitely consider it. The top of my Acerbis Supermoto fender isn't exactly the flattest surface to mount something.

Originally Posted by teamgreenrider91
looks like a really clean setup, did you fab up that bracket yourself? whered you relocate your key to or did you replace it with that toggle switch? and one more question to pick your brain.. i have an 07 klx and since my gauges are all busted i was looking into the vapor kit but i can find it on their site. whered you get yours from? i found kits on ebay but im a little weary about getting ripped off
Yes, I fabbed the bracket myself. I hate custom fabrications too so it's not the best looking bracket but functionality wise it's sturdy as can be.

I replaced the key with the toggle switch. Very simple procedure. My gauges were busted as well and I replaced mine for the same reason. Coupled with the fact that it wasn't very accurate at all.

I bought mine from the Trailtech site.

Here is the link:
http://www.trailtech.net/75-200.html

It's a cool freaking set up, no doubt.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

well it will definitely be on its way to my house within the next week or so, i cant wait to order it. did you need those risers to clear the vapor computer by any chance or did you already have those?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teamgreenrider91
well it will definitely be on its way to my house within the next week or so, i cant wait to order it. did you need those risers to clear the vapor computer by any chance or did you already have those?
I already had the risers. What year is your bike?

Quick Reply: A few pics of my Trailtech Vapor install and more mods!