Exhaust gets extremely hot and heats the chassis too much. Help!.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Default Exhaust gets extremely hot and heats the chassis too much. Help!.

Hi Guys,

I recently bought my KLX250S 2014, I am in the break in period. The motorcycle works fine but the exhaust system is getting extremely hot and is heating the chassis too much (my wife got burned when she touched the passenger's footpeg) even when I ride the bike using shorts I can feel too much heat coming out from the exhaust system to my right leg.

At the beginning I was using high octane gasoline and I changed for the cheapest one and the temperature was reduced but it is still uncomfortable. I went to the dealer but unfortunately in my country (Colombia) this motorcycle is not common and the dealers has not too much experience dealing with it, this is frustrating because I have been asking for warranty the last two months but my dealer says he is researching because this is new and they have not seen this before.

Somebody had this problem before?.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

The exhaust is hot, period. Exit temps are probably around 800 deg F or more.

Dont ride in shorts.

I don't know about the foot peg temps, I am assuming it is getting radiated heat from the muffler.

If it is hot outside, the whole system is going to be hot.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

The hot exhaust temps are mitigated or even totally cured by the removal of the air injection system. Look in here for that mod and do it immediately.

Wear all the shorts you want after that mod.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

The stock exhaust has a catalytic converter in it which also causes some heat, most aftermarket options do not.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I would bet the cat convertor in the muffler body is the problem along with radiant heat.

The radiant heat from the pipe can be cut using exhaust wrap. Pull the muffler and wrap the pipe and muffler with some heat wrap. You could even wrap the frame and peg if needed. That should help tremendously.

I wouldn't bet on the air injection cutting the temp much, the regular exhaust temp is around 1500 dF or more. Not much reduction. My 650 has no air injection and with the unshielded exhaust in bare steel it was extremely hot on my leg - radiant heat. I got the pipe ceramic coated and the problem was cut a heck of a lot, wrap can do the same.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
The hot exhaust temps are mitigated or even totally cured by the removal of the air injection system. Look in here for that mod and do it immediately.

Wear all the shorts you want after that mod.
Can agree with this.

My exhaust was getting so hot it was melting the plastic. Removing the smog system fixed the problem immediately.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You could always add a heat shield like I did, this helped some, and added some bling too. LOL

If you want to add something different then you can always go the route I took. I was in the shop shortly after the Muzzy install and spotted a chrome job on the wall by the road bike section, and it just caught my eye. And yes its been on for over 12,000 miles and still looks that good!

Name:  Picture_0148.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  Picture_0146.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  103.1 KB

Old 05-07-2014, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

As said your Cat has all kinds of Metals in it..
I bet if you got rid of the stock pipe and put a Slip- on
You would see a big Difference

Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

My header would get hot enough to glow before I messed with the A/F screw and made the mix more rich. If the bike is stock, this would be the first place to start, IMO.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I would bet the cat convertor in the muffler body is the problem along with radiant heat.

The radiant heat from the pipe can be cut using exhaust wrap. Pull the muffler and wrap the pipe and muffler with some heat wrap. You could even wrap the frame and peg if needed. That should help tremendously.

I wouldn't bet on the air injection cutting the temp much, the regular exhaust temp is around 1500 dF or more. Not much reduction. My 650 has no air injection and with the unshielded exhaust in bare steel it was extremely hot on my leg - radiant heat. I got the pipe ceramic coated and the problem was cut a heck of a lot, wrap can do the same.
What?

The cat is behind the footpeg. And air injection has a huge impact on exhaust temp as it allows fuel to be burned off before it even hits the cat. This occurs in the header and mid pipe. Ditch the emissions plumbing for sure. And fatten up the lean stock jetting. That is if you have a carb. Is your bike efi?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust gets extremely hot and heats the chassis too much. Help!.