Euro and US Horsepower Difference

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Euro and US Horsepower Difference

I'm going in today to start the paperwork on a 2014 KLX. I'm pretty excited to get it.

From the documentation, it looks like we have the Euro version here in Taiwan. All the specs match. One thing I've been wondering is about the difference in HP from the American version and the Euro version. From my understanding, the US version has 18 or 19 HP. And the Euro around 21.5

What's accounting for this difference? Is the Euro version simply less restricted and that's it?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2014, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

i dont know the exact difference but usally kawasaki makes the restrictions with lower advance spark timing, although the kawa service manual doesnt mention a difference between euro and us models

exception is the klx450r that lower power (from kx450f) comes from different ignition and cam timing

Last edited by turbomaniac; 10-28-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbomaniac
i dont know the exact difference but usally kawasaki makes the restrictions with lower advance spark timing, although the kawa service manual doesnt mention a difference between euro and us models

exception is the klx450r that lower power (from kx450f) comes from different ignition and cam timing
There is a member here who builds and sells a CDI with adjustable ignition timing curves, he found that with the 250 displacement, adding advance did not actually change the power output. The US has a plugged up carb and some other restrictions. Once these are removed the US model has about 21-22 HP.

The EFI models have some kind of gear restrictor which limits power in the first 3 gears I believe ? Some of our overseas members can clarify that one if needed

Best thing about the carbed models is the ease of moving to a big bore kit, something which can be a hassle with the EFI due to fuel delivery, but it is still certainly possible as members here have done big bore on EFI KLX's.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, yeah I would be interested in knowing about the gear restriction you mentioned. I read about a rpm limiter where you can short a certain connection to remove it. Maybe that's the one?

I emailed Bill Blue about his big bores with EFI. He said his 331 with a Doebeck juice box will work well. But nothing working well with 351. Will go with the 331 then.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 10-28-2014, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
Thanks, yeah I would be interested in knowing about the gear restriction you mentioned. I read about a rpm limiter where you can short a certain connection to remove it. Maybe that's the one?
This is what I recall also: rpm is limited in the higher gears.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

We have members with EU spec bikes that know the answers to all your questions. Also, with a little searching in here, you'll find your answers.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I'll wait for them to chime in. I haven't read enough in this forum. Just now getting over here after reading the advrider massive klx thread (took near a month!); didn't find any direct comparisons or reasonings behind the power difference. Makes sense though. Might be difficult to put them side by side to see how they're different.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

If the EU is rated using DIN horsepower, that would be it.. DIN hp is always more than SAE (US) on a given engine.. The US KLX actually dyno's around 16.5 hp/11.5 lb ft BTW..

Last edited by Klxster; 10-29-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
The US KLX actually dyno's around 16hp/13lb ft BTW..
Where do you get this number when everything I've seen for a stock US KLX250s is around 18 hp?

Last edited by IDRIDR; 10-28-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR, all you gotta do is read some of my Dyno test threads - It is common knowledge ,to those that really care for verifiable truth, that Kustom Kraft has a full and complete DynoJet chart on a stock KLX. While the specifics of the stock bike they tested are not known - I think 16.51 hp is a little high - there is no refuting a complete DynoJet chart. Especially from a business that would not inflate stock KLX numbers - Kustom Kraft offers Big Bore kits for KLX's....

BTW - they show their stock KLX at 16.51HP and 11.69 TRQ ... I know I've got 21hp and with the DJ#136 now in place, I think my next Dyno session will show 22+..

I edited my post above to more accurately reflect the Kustom Kraft chart - 16hp/13lbft was off the top of my head...

Last edited by Klxster; 10-29-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Euro and US Horsepower Difference