Dynojet Kit questions for 2009+ KLX250s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Default Dynojet Kit questions for 2009+ KLX250s

Hi Guys, this is my first post here though I've lurked and read tons of threads over the past couple of months. This is a great and informative forum!

First off, I've got a 2012 KLX250s. This is my woods trail bike.

Stock exhaust though I'm trying to find a quiet one that lets the bike breathe better, but I don't want to pay for the FMF stuff right now.

KDX snorkel waiting to be installed (I want to keep mud and water out of my intake).

13t front sprocket (this made a Huge difference allowing me to stay in second basically all the time on the trails).

My goal for the jet kit is to add some throttle response and give the bike a little more pep by getting the fueling right.

After searching, reading, researching, and rereading threads, I decided to buy a 2206 instead of a 2152. My reasoning was that both would work for my bike and that the 2206 has a more aggressive needle and would be better if/when I install a big bore somewhere down the road.

So I get my 2206 this week and figure I'll contact Dynojet to get a good baseline for the bike with the current mods. Then I can experiment and get it dialed in. I was thinking 120 main, needle on the fourth groove (per the instructions).

This is the response I got from DJ:

Jet kit 2206 will NOT work in your model. You must use jet kit 2152. They use the 2206 jet kit in the 2006-2007 KLX250. I do not recommend using he KDX intake snorkel.
So, I guess I'm not getting any help from DJ. Did I miss something here? I thought I've read several times that either kit will work, both the 06-07 and the newer bikes have the same carb.

I've been a street rider for a long time, this is my first dirt bike. I'm having a lot of fun with it though I can't seem to make it out of the trails without hurting myself. Hopefully that will improve with experience.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't listen to DJ. they are just covering there bases. The 2206 will work just fine.
I have different mods so my jetting will be different. looks like you are on the right track.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

What elevation range do you ride at?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 03-21-2014, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Tex
Welcome to KF.
No significant motor/carb/in/out differences between 06/07 and 09+. Both DJ 2206 and the newer will work. Ask DJ the difference, and why 2206 won't work. I'm interested to hear their response.
Many of us find that DJ recommends jets towards rich. Not a bad place to start.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks for all the input guys!

I live in Houston and ride near sea level.

Thanks for the spreadsheet, Brieninsac. I hadn't stumbled across that one yet. I had seen an older one and it had a lot of references to using the KLX300R needle. It looks like most people are running a 124 or 128 depending on the mods.

I asked DJ what they would recommend if I were to get the 2152 kit instead, this was their concise response:

Start with the base setting for Stage 2.
Here's what the 2152 instruction sheet says:

Install the Dynojet needle on groove #3 from the top. Install the small
Dynojet washers above the e-clip.

Remove the stock main jet and replace with the Dynojet main jet
provided. If you are running the stock exhaust install the DJ124 main jet
I'll try the 124 instead of the 120, I can always go leaner if I need to. Fuel range is not really an issue where I ride at the moment.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 AM
Default Re: Dyno jet

I'm not sure if this apples here. But I know from much experience on a KLR 650, that Dyno Jet uses a different sizing system then Keihan. Their jet size numbers do not match up to those from the stock carbs. For example a 128 main jet from Dyno Jet would be the equal of something like a 135 or more from Kawasaki. Thus Dyno jets are usually quite rich in comparison. Just thought I would pass this on.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are at sea level, just do the recommended settings and if you feeel like its too rich bump it down a main. I didnt find any power gains with the 38 pilot vs the 35 pilot, or the 132 main over the 128 main. I've got the FMF q4, no snorkel. Ive tried it with the lid off, lid on, richer mains, fatter pilots. Best most consistent power and operation comes from the recommended DJ settings for jet sizes. I ov course adjust my air/fuel screw as needed but aside from that I'm by the book.

DJ settings are probably the best place to start, and go up or down from there..

I cant say much about the needle taper, as I'm running the supplied DJ needle that came with the 2009-2010 klx250sf DJ kit (which came with teh bike, installed) It works fine, and when I went from the 14t with the jetting already done.... I found my better throttle response as you will as well I'm sure- just in a different order of operations.. Hope this helps

Old 03-24-2014, 12:45 AM

Thanks guys. Yes, I was aware that the Keihin and and Dynojet jets don't compare 1 to 1. Jetsrus has a nice chart HERE.

I went ahead and put in the DJ recommendation of a 124 main. I lowered the needle down one notch and I'll start there and see how it goes. It's easy to take the top off the carb and adjust the needle in bike.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

i tired that chart, didnt work :P

I purchased a keihin 140 thinking it would be the DJ equivalent of a 130 main. True to form and suggestion of other forum members, it was larger than the 132 DJ main (which I was trying to undershoot) That chart is not a sound comparison for all sizes.

I eventually went back to the 128 DJ main with no perceivable loss of power. Chances are the guys at Dynojet are damn near on the mark.(Engineers, who knew?)

Anything beyond that is a serious push in the direction of "I'm looking for a bigger bike/ more expensive upgrades"

Don't fight it

Quick Reply: Dynojet Kit questions for 2009+ KLX250s