1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
Oh yeah... what does "MCM" stand for?
Marcelino Cam Mod

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...rcelino-35904/

Old 08-12-2016, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
Hey guys... just did a quick browse thru of this thread and my head hurts!

I think my beloved 2007 "KLX351KX" has some carb issues. I'm an American living in Malaysia where it's really hard to get parts OR quality service. I've got some friends from California coming out next week so I was going to buy some stuff on line, ship it to them so they could bring it with them. (Mail here is very slow, expensive, unreliable and IF it gets here import tax often doubles the price).

I was just going to buy a new carb off amazon with a DJ jet kit.

I found BOTH a TM 36-68 "Flatside" and a TM36-68 "smooth bore" and wasn't sure which one to get? Any thoughts? And if I order a jet kit to go with it which would be best?

My bike has the 351cc bored out once so probably 370 cc, with Bill Blue's Barker exhaust system, the KDX 200 snorkel and the front of the air box lid has a gap of about 1/2" on it. It currently has Bill Blue's Mikuni 33mm bored out to 34mm carb. Oh and the weather here is ALWAYS HOT & HUMID; riding between 200-1,000' ASL.

Background on the carb for anyone interested: I've got over 220,000 KM on the bike; about 160,000KM on Bill Blue's carb. I do lots of riding in 3rd world countries with crappy gas and have even put kerosene in the tank once due to my Thai language incompetence at a small town Thai gas station! Love my Acerbis tank, but the cap leaks and we have torrential down pours here and water commonly gets in the tank. It used to keep the engine from starting but I learned to just open the drain on the float bowl and it starts no problem.
Last year it had an issue in Myanamar where the bike stopped running. It would then start, but die as soon as I gave it any gas. I was in the middle of nowhere close to war zones. I found if I pulled the choke the rpm's went way up of course but I could twist the throttle and it wouldn't die. I did about 50 miles like that to get to a town where a mechanic I couldn't communicate with at all seemed to realize the problem, took the carb apart, cleaned the jets and it worked afterwards.
It's now doing the same thing again but a couple of places have just told me the shaft the needle slides in is broken and I need a new carb. I LOVE this bike and have no qualms spending $3-400 to make it run good again!
The TM36-68 are the same carb. The slide is a flat slide and the bore is somewhat a smooth uniform bore, although not as good as some of the early round slide versions. The key part is the direct cable control versus the CV slide and in the case of the 68 it has an accelerator pump in it too. All good things on a four stroke. A lot of riders have said most bang for the buck, I don't know yet.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:37 AM

Hi everyone, the thread title caught my eye because I just bought an '07 with a Dynojet kit, a FMF Q4 with stock header and the kdx 200 snorkle. One of my riding buds just bought an '06 with stock carb and exhaust. I like the increased performance of my '07 over the stock '06, but the '06 is definitely more quiet. What is the deal with the Quietcore tip? Any suggestions where best to get it? Am I correct that the Quietcore tip may not need any other system changes? I really like this bike and just put my '07 klr650 up for sale! Thanks much for any suggestions.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Ricky,
I'm really surprised that part of your carb is broken. You may check with mikuni and/or Bill and see if it's replaceable.

If you go TM36-68, GET THIS ONE:

DO NOT GET THIS ONE:

Last edited by IDRIDR; 08-14-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

So, six months after asking about the Dynojet kits I finally installed the 2206 kit. You can see a big difference in the Dynojet needle vs. stock. The slide hole however already seemed the size of the provided drill bit. I ran it in and out by hand and maybe took a teensy bit off. I "drilled" out the starter jet with a .018" bit. It went through very easily so I'm not sure how much bigger I made it. I went with the 128 main jet. I also took off the hoses from from the air box to the carb and engine and capped them.

The results are positive! Eliminated almost all pop on decel and seems to accelerate better. Started right up without even pulling the choke out - never did that before.

Thanks all for the help.

Last edited by CraigT; 09-19-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:12 AM
mvs
1st Gear Member
Default What does MCM stand for.

Originally Posted by Klxster
So, if a person wanted max power with a slipon or full exhaust but without MCM - 2206 could be the best option, combined with lidless, DJ140 (and up) main jets..
I'm a newbie trying to get educated about the carburetor mods. Can you tell me what MCM stands for?
I have purchased a 2007 klx250s that has a FMF muffler but not power bomb. I put the 200 snorkel and a 13T sprocket on it. I think the Carb has been modified but don't know to what.
I feel the need to quicken the throttle response and was reading this thread.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

MCM - Marcelino Cam Mod. It's in our stickies. It improves TRQ/HP below 6.5K rpm.

Since you have no idea how the carb is set up, you'll either disassemble it and identify the parts (with our help), leave it as-is, or buy the DJ2152 or DJ2206 kit and install a new setup. If it turns out your parts are stock, you'll be buying one of those kits.. If you are going to keep the KDX snorkel, you'll be installing standard stage 2 as per the instructions. The KDX snorkel is more restrictive than if you just removed it (as per stage 2 instructions), but IMO, Stage 2 settings would still be the most applicable..

Last edited by Klxster; 11-03-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:04 PM
mvs
1st Gear Member

thanks

Old 12-28-2016, 12:16 AM

Hey all. Good thread. Just got back on a bike.07 KLX250, Two Bothers pipe, no snorkel with 13T front sprocket. Looking to do the jetting. would the DJ2206 or the DJ2152 be better. Looking for better low down response to help get the front wheel up and over logs etc on tight single tracks,

Thanks
Matt

Old 12-28-2016, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default awesome info

I have a new to me 2010 KLX 250 SF with 825 miles on it , Bike starts fairly easily with choke ,Take choke off after 15, 20 seconds and have to let it warm up for a solid 5 minutes or it just dies , runs ok but it still dies on occasion and I'm struggling to get up to 65. So after reading until it hurts and getting a little confused .I'm planing to re jet next size up ,Dyno jet kit , up the pilot jet to 38 ,new needle according to DI instructions.Uni filter , Remove top off air box , Adj new pilot air thumb screw out 2 1/2 turns , Down the road complete FMF power 4 exhaust .. For now should I leave the stock can stock alone or is there any advantage to drilling out the end ? Does this sound reasonable ? I live At 2400 foot elevation and could on occasion be up in the 5-6k range thanks I really like this little bike ,Just need to get it running right any suggestions would be appreciated

Quick Reply: Dynojet Kit for 2007 KLX250