Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S

2013 KLX250S with 2100 miles.

These are high res images that don't like being "shrunk" on the forum, but click on the images to get full screen "goodness". Print them off. All of us (certainly me included) can become experts (Well at least "armchair experts"..) at analyzing Dyno Charts. All I have is a little "head start" + Alzheimers (lol) with this stuff.. We should all ask questions, find answers, etc... With the raw run data, and as seen here, I can manipulate charts to any-which-way the software will allow..

Stock Configuration Chart: SAE Charts of the three pulls. SAE charts can be compared and analyzed with other SAE charts. This is the chart that will serve as the "baseline" for analyzing the results of our Forum Mods. I personally am surprised at such large peak numbers. But they are "in line" with published stats for the KLX250..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As can be seen above, the overly rich AFR's (12:1 and below) cause great concern as to the validity of the AFR chart. My Dyno owner/operator is certain the AFR module on that dyno is not working properly or not being operated properly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Uncorked" Chart - Bike is running a Slipon (Delkevic) with baffle removed, stock header, Airbox lid removed, DJ140 main jet, DN0352 Needle from the DJ2206 kit with clip on 1N, Stock slide spring, stock slide lift hole/port, #40 Pilot Jet with fuel screw at approx 1.75 turns out. Near sea level. I won't bother posting the AFR chart for this run - it has become obvious the AFR charts from his/that Dyno are unusable. It basically shows horrible overfueling that cannot possibly produce the increased power levels shown on the power curves..

="4"%Next up - The chart we've never had and always wondered about - Best run STOCK with the best run "UNCORKED"(slipon+lidless+proper carb setup). This is the picture that proves, for the cost of a good performance slipon and a few properly matched/installed carb components, you can have a whole "new" bike..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

="4"%And now, FYI, I've charted Houstons4's curves along with my latest from my bike..Another "order of magnitude" increase for those that don't mind the expense of the FMF exhaust components.. Once I re-install the stock slide spring, my power levels below 6.5k will increase - in fact, if my bike responds to the stock spring reinstall like Houstons', I may exceed his current power levels below 6.5k - thanks to the MCM..

Attached Thumbnails Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S-2016-09-09-2-.png   Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S-2016-09-09-3-.png   Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S-2016-09-10.png   Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S-2016-09-10-1-.png   Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S-2016-09-10-2-.png  

Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S-2016-10-10-9-.png   Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S-2016-10-10-10-.png   Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S-2016-10-10-11-.png  

Last edited by Klxster; 04-24-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

(((EDIT 1-22-2022:
With the above charts, this thread is completed.
The discussions/posts below were prior to my being able to finish the chart postings above - therefore, the postings below contain mostly irrelevant conversations that would serve only to confuse any "first time" reader of this thread. )))

Charts updated with Houstons4's latest "best run"..

Houston has just tried out standard stage II - Lid on, snorkel off, DJ128, DNO228 needle @3N, - exactly the way DJ wants the 2152 kit used - He intended to Dyno this setup but was quite put out by the loss of power over the lidless setup and may not waste a Dyno session on standard DJ stage II..

Last edited by Klxster; 01-23-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Houston has just tried out standard stage II - Lid on, snorkel off, DJ128, DNO228 needle @3N, - exactly the way DJ wants the 2152 kit used - He intended to Dyno this setup but was quite put out by the loss of power over the lidless setup and may not waste a Dyno session on standard DJ stage II..
After a week of running KLXster's initial recipe of the DJ 2206 kit at 2N with the softer spring from the 2152 kit and a DJ140 main jet, lidless (see Dyno Data above) I was very disappointed with DJ's standard 2152 stage II setup (lid on, snorkel off) I set up yesterday. Definitely more power than stock however the standard stage II 2152 won't be going back in this bike.

We are hard at work on Houstons' fueling curve. We are pretending to have a "little faith" in his AFR chart and proceeding.. If this is a proper paradigm, and we "fix" his fueling curve below 6.5k, his power levels should take another noticeable jump.
Today I pulled the DJ 2152 stage II set up out and put in KLXster's adjustment recipe of DJ's 2206 kit with the stock spring at 1N with the DJ140 main jet, lidless. Unbelievable! Even stronger through all low, mid, and high ranges than the first 2206 recipe. Not as significant of a surge at 6,700 rpm as before being the mid range is much stronger (as is high end range). Throttle response and low end is where the biggest jump in performance was felt as I was pulling assisted power wheelies (no clutching) at 2,200, 3,000 and 4,000 RPM's, which tells me the low range AFR's have been addressed. I would call it "fixed" going by feel, but the next Dyno test will confirm. Really looking forward to seeing the data from this set up.

Unfortunately I was only able to do a little sampling of this new setup for about 20 minutes or so. Tomorrow I will be spending some quality time with my steed to gain more insight on this latest recipe. More to come...

Old 09-11-2016, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Very interesting-- I always felt that top power was made on this bike around 7000-7500 RPM and these test provide further confirmation.

Any way you guys can hook up and dyno each of your bikes on the same day on the same dyno to really compare the MCM vs non MCM uncorked setup? That would be the KLX version of finding the lost Ark!!

Looking forward to the new dyno runs.

Last edited by Josh128; 09-11-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Josh, all I have to do is get the raw data from my runs off the Dyno I've been running on.. Once I have that, I can show the MCM effect by showing one of my best DGR SAE runs with Houstons' run 12 shown here .. While I do not have a final run with the final carb setup with the DGR, the DJ136/5N chart probably makes very close to the peak #'s and curves that my final setup does..

As long as both DynoJet dyno's are properly maintained and updated (both owners claim they are) his SAE charts and mine are able to be compared.. There could be minor differences concerning minutiae of the operation of the bikes and the equipment - not enough to cause issues with the usefulness of the curves for making determinations though..

You can look at my DGR DJ136/5N chart now - it made 16.29 peak TRQ..21.52 peak HP.. but was too lean pretty much everywhere..

BTW, Houston lives in Moldovia, or was it Ohio... anyway I'm in Texas..

Last edited by Klxster; 11-08-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Sthis gives the idea of what I have been talking about - full exhaust+MCM+lidless is another order of magnitude in performance increases - a class all it's own.
Wow, that is astonishing. Really, bravo.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Will be very interesting once I test this latest setup of running the 2206 needle on 1N with the stock spring with a DJ140 main jet, lidless. Without question an increase throughout all ranges over the setup shown in the above charted data.

Also intriguing to me that both the HP and TRQ curve follow each other closely below 5,400 RPMs in the above chart. My limited understanding of the MCM mod is a boosted TRQ at the lower end?

Old 09-15-2016, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting you both show a slight HP and TRQ peak then dip at 5.5K. Must be CVK related.

Houston, what are you running to get your 21HP chart?

Old 09-15-2016, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Josh128
Houston, what are you running to get your 21HP chart?
Josh - This setup was the DN0352 needle outta the 2206 kit at 2N with the softer spring from the 2152 DJ kit, the 140 main jet, mixture screw 2 turns out lidless, with a Delkevic slip on performance muffler (w/o baffle). This provided a huge performance jump from stock, which the data confirms.

Next up I went with DJ stage II setup from the 2152 kit with the intent of Dyno testing this setup to compare with the above recipe (data). There was such a drop in performance there was no point to run any testing pulls. The 2152 stage II setup does what it claims adding 8% HP over stock (no data just me going by feel) but my best estimate I dropped 8-10 percent from the previous recipe.

Currently running the DN0352 needle again at 1N with the stiffer stock spring, 140 main jet, lidless, mixture screw about 1 1/2 turns out. The stuffer spring has created performance gains across all ranges, most significantly at the lower TRQ range. This assessment is going by feel at this point, I plan to Dyno test next week to gather more data.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

So... Am I crazy or does it look like the stock header(Red and Blue lines) actually begins killing TRQ at 7500 RPM..?
Very unlikely its the header. Thats a HUGE difference in power/trq curves. Much more likely the stock vs. MCM valve timing ...

The lack of torque and power drop off on your bikes chart is very impressive. I had kind of ruled out the MCM, but this really is getting me to think about it again. I want to see the final run Houston comes up with.

Didnt you already compare your bikes stock header vs the powerbomb and saw almost no difference?

Last edited by Josh128; 09-16-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Dyno Charts and Tuning 2013 KLX250S