Dyno Charts: Lidless+Slipon VS Lidless+Full FMF+MCM

Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dyno Charts: Lidless+Slipon VS Lidless+Full FMF+MCM

Clik on the image to get the goodness.

Attached Thumbnails Dyno Charts: Lidless+Slipon VS Lidless+Full FMF+MCM-current-h-vs-k.png  
Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is what you should know:
I am still running the DJ spring - which is hurting my power curves below 6500 RPM. As it did with Houstons4's bike, reinstalling the stock spring will elevate my power curves and, no doubt, somewhat close the gap between the two bikes below 6500 RPM..

This is our most current data - as we continue tuning, we may find more performance.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, Houstons non-MCM bike out-torquing your MCM bike up to 6K??! Thats strange stuff, you thinking thats due to low RPM overfueling due to your spring setup?

Whats curious is, if you make the proper adjustments, I wonder if you will indeed best his low end torque or simply just match it-- the implications could change our understanding of the effects of the MCM throughout the RPM range.

Again, you have a nice flat torque curve from 6K on up. Question is, how much of that is due to the MCM and how much is due to the Powerbomb?

I still think your HP curve is a thing of beauty, but if you can improve your low end torque curve without causing problems to your nice high end HP and torque, you will likely be left with the ultimate setup.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, Houstons non-MCM bike out-torquing your MCM bike up to 6K??! Thats strange stuff, you thinking thats due to low RPM overfueling due to your spring setup?

It's due to two things: Firstly, you are correct that I'm loosing HP/TRQ below 6K due to overfueling. Secondly, my Megabomb header still "costs" power below 6K even though it is suppose to preserve low end power with that expensive "power bulge".. Please know that when riding the bike, I will never "see" that overfueling - You never accidentally "simulate" a dyno run while out riding your bike. When is the last time you were in 4th gear @ 3000 rpm and went WOT ..lol.. So, while this is not a "deal breaker" with the recipe, there COULD be "everyday" benefits to throttle response and power ramping with the stock spring in conjuction with the way I like to ride my KLX .. It certainly did with Houstons' experience with his bike, perhaps it will with me also - point is, you have to reinstall the spring and see if you personally like what you get..

I wonder if you will indeed best his low end torque or simply just match it-- the implications could change our understanding of the effects of the MCM throughout the RPM range.

I would expect to match his levels below 6K. This chart does not show MCM vs Non-MCM. I will do my best to post such a chart as time allows..

Question is, how much of that is due to the MCM and how much is due to the Powerbomb?

Well, that is impossible to know from this chart.

If you can improve your low end torque curve without causing problems to your nice high end HP and torque, you will likely be left with the ultimate setup.

Agreed, the only way, available to us currently, for me to do that, is with a reinstall of the stock spring. And rest assured, my setup is certainly the "ultimate" for a stock bore, stock carb, KLX..(IMO along with the few others running my exact setup..)

Last edited by Klxster; 10-10-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster

I wonder if you will indeed best his low end torque or simply just match it-- the implications could change our understanding of the effects of the MCM throughout the RPM range.

I would expect to match his levels below 6K. This chart does not show MCM vs Non-MCM. I will do my best to post such a chart as time allows..

Wait a sec, Houstons bike is non-MCM and yours is MCM - how does this not show MCM vs non-MCM?

From our current understanding of the MCM, you should have better torque at lower RPMs if you get the fueling right - not just match, no?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

No, Josh, this chart does not compare MCM to NON-MCM.
This chart compares what you can get with a proper performance slipon (loud) and "a proper use" of a DJ kit in a "max power" lidless application -VERSUS- A FMF Megabomb, with a FMF PowerCore 4, MCM, and proper use of a DJ kit in a "max power" lidless application.

The only significant differences between these bikes is the MCM, the spring and needle settings, and the Megabomb header. Those differences not withstanding, it is still comparing an MCM bike to a non-MCM bike. The way you put it, you are essentially saying Im crazy in saying that? No need to get testy.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Josh, I put together and posted the "MCM vs Stock Cam Timings" chart comparison..
Take a look.. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...timings-44296/

Last edited by Klxster; 10-11-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Well lets' see if I can explain why my bike would be a totally different experience from Houstons4's when ridden.

This is gonna turn into a chart analysis "lecture" - sorry..

"Area under the curve" vs "Peak numbers"

Yeah sounds good, WTF does it mean? It means that the area between my HP curve and Houstons , 6800rpm - (End of run), is consistently 1 to 2.5 more HP's worth. Instead of my engine briefly "peaking" at one extra HP with a little "power bump", I get to feel +1 up to +2.5 (@9700rpm) hp every millisecond I spend @WOT above 6800rpm.. Get it?

Perhaps you can now better determine if the cost of the FMF header and slipon is worth it - it certainly was for me..

Last edited by Klxster; 10-11-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is what you should know:
I am still running the DJ spring - which is hurting my power curves below 6500 RPM. As it did with Houstons4's bike, reinstalling the stock spring will elevate my power curves and, no doubt, somewhat close the gap between the two bikes below 6500 RPM..

This is our most current data - as we continue tuning, we may find more performance.
Is the spring and needle that come in the 2152 designed to work together to give the best fueling curve? By mixing the spring in the 2152 kit with the needle from the 2206 perhaps that gave Houston4 too aggressive of a fueling curve and over fueling hurting power.

If you go back to a stock spring with the 2152 needle will that give you too weak of a fueling curve?

Maybe I missed it but I don't see where you took into account the different profiles of the needles when comparing the springs....

Old 10-12-2016, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Clay, the problem lies with the fact that I/we are using DJ components in a way they were not designed for. So I am forced to make guesses as to the best possible application of springs, needles, and clip positions, for a particular set of mods on a KLX.

You asked specifically about the 2152 components - They ARE designed to work together on a KLX that has its' airbox lid on, and stock exhaust. We are far removed from that with lidless + Slipon modded KLX's - not to mention full exhaust systems + lidless + MCM.. The same situation applies to the 2206 kit - intended use vs our use..

I don't think you missed much concerning needle profile assessments, intended needle applications, etc.. I have posted thoughts about the subject but most discussions have been in private - mainly with Houstons4.. There is unique properties to the DN0352 needle that have to be carefully taken into account - and doing so has been hampered due to his AFR charts being practically unusable..

What we are learning is that the stock spring should be used on bikes with this specific mod list: NON-MCM + lidless + slipon + DN0352/DN0228 needles + DJ140 main jet. We do not yet know exactly what clip position is best - so far, 1N works with both needles and will likely be the best choice for the DN0352 needle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno Charts: Lidless+Slipon VS Lidless+Full FMF+MCM