Driving, not riding, to work...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Driving, not riding, to work...

So I am finally able to let the faithful KLX have a much needed rest because....I bought a $350 Subaru Impreza parts car (AKA not inspectable) and spent 3 weekends making it legitimately road worthy. New tires, new rear wheel cylinders, one new ABS sensor, and a bunch of fluids.
It replaces my '91 Mercedes wagon, which had served me well and might again if time permits (it needs a tranny and engine rebuild, and I need to win the lottery for the parts bill).
So far, I have a car that has cost me just under $1200 for everything (including insurance and registration). Everything works, except the rear washer motor.
Now I have a good AWD car, that gets pretty good MPG and just requires upkeep and some body work thanks to New England winters.
So no more riding all winter. Only when it's above 25º, good weather, clear roads, and I feel like it.
I rode all of this past winter (until March 6 I had ridden everyday since November), my third in a row, and the toll it has taken on the bike has become apparent.
Aside from general salt corrosion of nuts and bolts, the wiring harness is the real victim of the crime. It's time to remove it, inspect it, and replace the now brittle covering and any wires, pins, or plugs that are damaged.
She's currently sitting in my front room (aka shop 'cause I'm single (wonder why)) awaiting new bearings for the steering stem and suspension, an oil and coolant change, new control cables, new plastics, and some frame restoration on the tail end.
Oh yeah, might as well check the valves while I'm in there.
I can't wait to get it all back to good form and rip around in the woods.
Luckily, I have the 200 XC-W to get my dirt fix around my house, which I can start doing because we got little snow this winter and it's mostly gone!
I'll try and remember to document the process, including the ugly bits about getting stuck bolts out and such.
BTW, I really missed drinking coffee on the way to work and my dog missed going to work.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Good post MaxP. That trusty KLX deserves some TLC. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Good going on the inexpensive ride MaximusP.
And hats off to you for riding all year. I had to do that once in my college days when I blew the car's motor. Not too much fun.
I hope you do a report on the KLX maintenance project.