Drilled wrong size hole in starter jet

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Drilled wrong size hole in starter jet

Hello everyone.I am new to your forum and have just purchased a new leftover 2009 KLX 250 SF.Of course the bike has the hard cold starting problem.I live in Rochester NY.I drilled the starter jet to a 0.8mm rather than .018.Did not notice until after the fact.Now the bike still starts hard cold and will no longer run with the choke on.The starter jet being pressed in does not seem to be sold without buying a whole new carburetor.Anyone have an idea of how to solve this problem I created?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

For reference the proper size 0f 0.018" is equal to .4572mm. So you went way way too big. Maybe fill the hole with braze or JB weld and redrill the proper jet size? I had nightmares about screwing up the jet drill because the choke jet is non-removeable and the orifice is way down in a hole.

JB weld, and then redrill is what I would do.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Sounds like it may just work.Thank you...

Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

You may get it to start and run by only using a little of the choke. Crank the bike, pull the choke out slowly until it starts. Keep the choke there till its warmed up.

My TM36-68 has plenty of fuel and Its kind of how I do it.

I'm from medina and I have an SF too.

David

Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
You may get it to start and run by only using a little of the choke. Crank the bike, pull the choke out slowly until it starts. Keep the choke there till its warmed up.

My TM36-68 has plenty of fuel and Its kind of how I do it.

I'm from medina and I have an SF too.

David
Tried that ,no luck

Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

You can also look for a carburator from a wrecked bike if the jbweld trick doesn't work.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

bad luck, sorry, some body was trying to sell a pumper carb on here a few days ago.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I am going to drill a new hole in a plastic plug and insert that into the starter jet..that way I can always pull the plug back out if need be..Just ordered a package of 10 drill bits in the proper size.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Maybe try solder, then redrill. Solder should stick to brass, clean with flux, just a tiny bit ought to do it. Then redrill to proper size.

If that doesn't do it you could drill extra large, then press fit or JB-Weld in a small bit of brass rod, then redrill that.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Maybe try solder, then redrill. Solder should stick to brass, clean with flux, just a tiny bit ought to do it. Then redrill to proper size.

If that doesn't do it you could drill extra large, then press fit or JB-Weld in a small bit of brass rod, then redrill that.
Nobrakes has it right. In the old days people didn't buy many jets anyway. They would just solder the jet closed and then drill out the jet to the size they wanted. The starter jet can be done the same way, but you'll have to be a bit more careful about not soldering the jet closed with the jet facing up. You can see you wouldn't be able to control the flow of solder into the jet and into the carb body. Tilt the carb body at a slight "down" angle and fill the brass starter jet with solder...then drill.

Quick Reply: Drilled wrong size hole in starter jet