drill slide vent to 7/64

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default drill slide vent to 7/64

Just want to make sure I drill this 7/64 vent hole right. Tried looking at past threads but I have the patience of a jack rabbit in heat. Some help on which hole this is? Ive been down a bad hole before and don't want to happen again.
Thanks,

Old 07-31-2015, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahh, exactly why are you wanting to drill your slide lift hole..? If you do that, you'll never be able to run the DJ2152 kit.. You will only be able to run the KLX300R DJ2208 kit as well as pieced together stock parts..(N1TC, K jets, K pilot jets etc..)

That is a permanent mod - replacement slides are very expensive - It is usually done in concert with a well thought out carb setup. If you don't have needles and jets and pilot jets and airbox mods and a known working setup to put in the carb, you should not get drill bits anywhere near the carb..

Old 07-31-2015, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

klxster,
Doing FMF Q, FMF power bomb, #40 pilot, 132 main, smog removed, KDX snorkel, Dyno #2152...leave 7/64 out of it?
Oh, I'm sea Level

Old 07-31-2015, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep.. You drill that slide and you can't use that DJ kit..

Old 07-31-2015, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Well thank God I asked!
Thanks,

Old 07-31-2015, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh BTW. with those mods - order a DJ144 and DJ140 (total of $4.00 + shipping) and at some point down the line, after you've got some miles on the 132/3N + KDX snorkel setup, ask me what to do with the 144..

Old 07-31-2015, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Not that you can't use the DJ kit if you drill the slide, but I haven't seen a single reason to use it over the OEM parts. Review the forum posts to see all the people with the DJ kit having fuelling problems.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Not that you can't use the DJ kit if you drill the slide, but I haven't seen a single reason to use it over the OEM parts. Review the forum posts to see all the people with the DJ kit having fuelling problems.
For what it's worth, I'm running the stock kawa parts with an N1TC as of today and having the same problems.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a link to what I accumulated about the KLX300 parts conversion below in my signature. We used them on an 06 and an 09 with very good experience. Not a lot of brass is needed, some main jets that are easily attainable from any shop that can get Kiehin parts or Jets-R-Us would have them. I will say I forget if we drilled the slide bleed hole to 7/64", I'll have to ask my brother since I worked in cahoots with him on this and since he'd already done his he kind of took command.

I did some quick research and believe the reason for drilling is for faster slide movement, but I believe Dyno Jet accomplishes that with the spring in their kit. So if using the Dyno Jet kit you don't drill the slide bleed. Referenced a thread in Thumper Talk.

Here is a search for the 7/64 hole drilling that will bring up a bunch of threads. #32 and 7/64 drills are near the same and used to open up the same hole, .1160" and .1093 respectively.

We run at 900 ft elevation and a bit above at the present, plus we installed Dial-A-Jet fuel adder kits to fill lean spots.

My own personal preference is to Kiehin parts over others and researching to find what worked first. It may not be a kit, but it seems there aren't many who've had issues after doing the KLX300 modifications, then worked the main jet and occasionally the needle for elevation changes. So if someone does the research the information is out there.

I will say Mikuni jets are a whole lot simpler to find, not to mention so much information about the carbs, should a pumper be in the works.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
For what it's worth, I'm running the stock kawa parts with an N1TC as of today and having the same problems.
I don't think you're having the same problem as people do with the DJ kit and I don't think it has anything to do with your jetting.

Quick Reply: drill slide vent to 7/64