Don't like your KLX without a snorkle or lid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Don't like your KLX without a snorkle or lid?

How about a dual snorkle? LOL. I got a bit bored and did this today. Its seems to pull air from both, i used the factory one since it was laying around and the kdx200 snorkle i already had on. kdx200 snorkle is cut off below the lid and the stock one was shortened up top. I imagine if you need tons of air you could use 2 kdx200 snorkles, which i may do if i decide to rejet yet again with a bigger jet.

Last edited by mtnman; 03-31-2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

So how does it pull with more air available?

I saw someone's post somewhere who'd doubled up perviously

Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 AM
1st Gear Member

This is the best alternative I've seen to taking the lid off. For all of those that feel the snorkel (now snorkels, thanks to mtnman.) keep mud and water out of the intake, this is surely a way to have your cake and eat it too.
Good work mtnman!

Old 03-31-2014, 11:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
This is the best alternative I've seen to taking the lid off. For all of those that feel the snorkel (now snorkels, thanks to mtnman.) keep mud and water out of the intake, this is surely a way to have your cake and eat it too.
Good work mtnman!
Hate to burst your bubble on this - the front snorkle was cut off and is directly over the air filter, which means any water in that snorkle will dump directly on top of the filter. That is why the back one sticks down so far, any water will dump behind the filter.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Hate to burst your bubble on this - the front snorkle was cut off and is directly over the air filter, which means any water in that snorkle will dump directly on top of the filter. That is why the back one sticks down so far, any water will dump behind the filter.
You not busting my bubble, that's pretty obvious. It does however protect to a MUCH better degree than no lid and the aesthetics of a gaping hole under your seat. It does however Protect against debris, especially riding offroad, i get tons of oak leaves in everything if there is an opening. And without a lid you have a dirt sump to trap debris. I don't go into deep water and probably never will.

Last edited by mtnman; 03-31-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
So how does it pull with more air available?

I saw someone's post somewhere who'd doubled up perviously
I don't know yet i haven't had a chance to take it for a spin. But that has been an issue for me which is why i originally cut off the bottom of the KDX snorkle, it wouldn't pull enough until i did that.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:16 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I'm not sure, Mark...I was concerned about this originally before I cut the larger hole in the OEM airbox top back when. After closely inspecting this area when the saddle is on, and after a few years of running it this way, I'm not seeing a water issue here. Splash and rain seems to have no good access to the opening...especially with the lid on and the OEM hole just enlarged. I think you'd have to submarine the bike in a pretty good water hole or have it fall over and submerge the airbox. And in those cases you're motor is probably running anyway to the point of it not being an issue of how big the hole is...snorkeled or not. I don't think the snorkel on the KLX has as much to do with water as much as it has to do with sound. While there might be a small advantage to water intake in a submerged situation, it will probably only be the small advantage of the smaller hole. A running engine suction is going to vacuum enough water into the box to potentially be a problem anyway IMO...unless you're really fast on the kill switch.

This is why I tend to prefer enlarging the OEM lid opening rather than just run the box without the lid. The bigger hole still gives the engine all the intake volume it needs without presenting a huge opening like the top of a large drinking glass to let potential water spill over the edge. With the lid and a bigger opening, the water will still have to go over a horizontal area to flow into the box. And I think the lid, even with a larger opening, has some sound damping effect on intake noise...like a trumpet with a mute rather than an open end...small, but I notice the difference when you take the top completely off.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I'm not sure, Mark...I was concerned about this originally before I cut the larger hole in the OEM airbox top back when. After closely inspecting this area when the saddle is on, and after a few years of running it this way, I'm not seeing a water issue here. Splash and rain seems to have no good access to the opening...especially with the lid on and the OEM hole just enlarged. I think you'd have to submarine the bike in a pretty good water hole or have it fall over and submerge the airbox. And in those cases you're motor is probably running anyway to the point of it not being an issue of how big the hole is...snorkeled or not. I don't think the snorkel on the KLX has as much to do with water as much as it has to do with sound. While there might be a small advantage to water intake in a submerged situation, it will probably only be the small advantage of the smaller hole. A running engine suction is going to vacuum enough water into the box to potentially be a problem anyway IMO...unless you're really fast on the kill switch.

This is why I tend to prefer enlarging the OEM lid opening rather than just run the box without the lid. The bigger hole still gives the engine all the intake volume it needs without presenting a huge opening like the top of a large drinking glass to let potential water spill over the edge. With the lid and a bigger opening, the water will still have to go over a horizontal area to flow into the box. And I think the lid, even with a larger opening, has some sound damping effect on intake noise...like a trumpet with a mute rather than an open end...small, but I notice the difference when you take the top completely off.
I agree, if you think your KLX is a submarine,lol, Water will pour into it anyway. The hole on the stock snorkle is far bigger than the hole on the drain tube.., I hated the sound of the lid off. But there is another idea i should have tried and still may. But I'll have to buy another lid and kdx snorkle, not to bad at partszilla for 40 bucks for both. Replace the klx snorkle with the kdx snorkle and then on the side under the lid facing the edge of the box only, drill large holes up and down the downpipe on the snorkle under the lid. This would still divert water down the box to the drain and deliver more air. Just a thought... The lower end of the kdx snorkle was restricting my airflow too much, which is why i cut it off, then my klx ran like a scalded dog.

Last edited by mtnman; 03-31-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you TNC.. I removed my lid after researching the forum for reasons not to. I figured that if removal was a danger to water intrusion that it would have shown up in the forums. I also figure a well oiled filter will "Ducks' back" certain amounts of water incursion.(Roll off like a Ducks' back..?)
In my universe, the lid has proven to serve no purpose other than to limit my power - after the MCM got rid of that crazy "growling" noise of course.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtnman
You not busting my bubble, that's pretty obvious. It does however protect to a MUCH better degree than no lid and the aesthetics of a gaping hole under your seat. It does however Protect against debris, especially riding offroad, i get tons of oak leaves in everything if there is an opening. And without a lid you have a dirt sump to trap debris. I don't go into deep water and probably never will.
A similar attitude to mine. I was considering running without the snorkel or lid, but this does change it up some. I won't be in water that will come over the snorkel so it makes sense to do the same deal since I will have both the OEM and the 220.

Quick Reply: Don't like your KLX without a snorkle or lid?