Disassembling '09 KLX250s Speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Disassembling '09 KLX250s Speedometer?

The reset button my 09 speedo has been pressed in too far by the previous owner and no longer lets me reset my trip meter. How hard is it to pull apart the speedo? Im assuming the button has just been pinched underneath the plastic, and ill i need to do is reseat it. Has anyone ever ripped one open?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Try using a small punch and push deep and try to unlodge it

Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Shouldn't be hard at all. Just remove the unit from the mount and there are some screws on the backside that hold the two halves together. Remove those and you can gain access to the circuit board and the rubber caps in the face. Just use some care when lifting the halves apart so that you don't lose any pieces-it's not very intimidating once you get it apart. I've had to do the same thing on the head unit for my SV-the rubber caps dislodged.

Oh-and thanks for the pic. I always wondered what the two lens on either side of the key where for.(the carb'd bikes don't light up those spots)

Last edited by GBAUTO; 06-23-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
Shouldn't be hard at all. Just remove the unit from the mount and there are some screws on the backside that hold the two halves together. Remove those and you can gain access to the circuit board and the rubber caps in the face. Just use some care when lifting the halves apart so that you don't lose any pieces-it's not very intimidating once you get it apart. I've had to do the same thing on the head unit for my SV-the rubber caps dislodged.

Oh-and thanks for the pic. I always wondered what the two lens on either side of the key where for.(the carb'd bikes don't light up those spots)
Any idea if there are any little springs that are going to shoot off into oblivion? And no problem, those pictures came from a wallpaper website that i have rotating as my wallpaper, i too wondered when those lights would illuminate on my new to me 09.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I have never had mine apart, so I only say this from car/truck experience.

If they're anything like the new car stuff there are no real surprises like that. It is just being very careful disassembling. Do not force or pop anything apart unless you are positive it is supposed to pop apart. Most everything should come apart easily when all fasteners are removed. If something doesn't, look for another fastener hidden somewhere or even taped over.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I wonder if you can change the color of the backlight? That would be a cool mod

Old 06-23-2014, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I have never had mine apart, so I only say this from car/truck experience.

If they're anything like the new car stuff there are no real surprises like that. It is just being very careful disassembling. Do not force or pop anything apart unless you are positive it is supposed to pop apart. Most everything should come apart easily when all fasteners are removed. If something doesn't, look for another fastener hidden somewhere or even taped over.
I appreciate you giving me some encouragement, I have very limited experience working on bikes and you gave me the push i needed to just go for it. Fender, mini wind deflector, and the headlight all had to come off before you could release the speedo. One plug on the speedo, 6-7 screws and it comes apart clean with no moving pieces. There is a 4pol tact switch with a very tall stem that meets the rubber stem from the button.

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
Shouldn't be hard at all. Just remove the unit from the mount and there are some screws on the backside that hold the two halves together. Remove those and you can gain access to the circuit board and the rubber caps in the face. Just use some care when lifting the halves apart so that you don't lose any pieces-it's not very intimidating once you get it apart. I've had to do the same thing on the head unit for my SV-the rubber caps dislodged. Split the halves and lined up the stems again and all is well! Thanks everyone!

I noticed that even inside the speedo assembly, the spots where the other two lenses dont even have LEDs in them, gives me ideas for future projects like indication lights for other applications like fog lights or..... or..... NOS BOOST.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
I wonder if you can change the color of the backlight? That would be a cool mod
The LCD is all one panel, I don't believe you can change them.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I know the sf is blue and the s is orange, it would have been nice if it was just a bulb you can swap oh well