Disabling the kickstand switch..

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Disabling the kickstand switch..

I have disabled both the kickstand switch... and the clutch switch... I have removed them both. The kickstand will not let you engage the clutch with the kickstand down. I have also replace the clutch and im using the a shorty one now.. which by the way I love.. I kept pinching the heck out of my fingers...

Old 03-01-2007, 09:19 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1iviper

ORIGINAL: konacoiler

How many of us(if any)have disabled the kickstand safety switch? I'm aware of one other person who had theirs short on them. That's a major concern too me because I often ride alone, and I'm often WAAYY out in the sticks..does Deliverance ring a bell?? [sm=helpout.gif] I'm electricity illiterate so, how do I go about removing/disabling the switch? I don't wanna break down and end up squealing like a [sm=smiley30.gif]..[sm=smiley19.gif][sm=noooo.gif] Man..I hope you guys have seen the movie..LOL
easy fix konacoiler.remove the seat and left side panel.then just follow the wires from the switch up to the right frame rail under the front of the seat.the 2 wires conviently have male and female bullet connectors.unplug the switch from them and then plug them into each other to complete the circuit.the switch looks pretty weatherproof but it's just one more thing that could go wrong at the wrong time so i removed mine a while ago.
and if you ever hear the phrase "you sure do have a pretty mouth" don't wait around to see what happens,just turn and run like forest gump.because that river don't go anywhwere near aintree.

motoguy128-you could do the same for your clutch safty switch.it prob also has bullet connectors at the harness so no spliceing required and gives a good weatherproof seal.
Im gonna have to do this. I sometimes cross a small creek and I have always worried about that switch.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

its a piece of cake...

Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Yes it was...took all of 5min

Old 03-02-2007, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: konacoiler

How many of us(if any)have disabled the kickstand safety switch? I'm aware of one other person who had theirs short on them. That's a major concern too me because I often ride alone, and I'm often WAAYY out in the sticks..does Deliverance ring a bell?? [sm=helpout.gif] I'm electricity illiterate so, how do I go about removing/disabling the switch? I don't wanna break down and end up squealing like a [sm=smiley30.gif]..[sm=smiley19.gif][sm=noooo.gif] Man..I hope you guys have seen the movie..LOL
after picking yourself up off the ground you will realize the error of your reasoning the very first time you motor off with it down.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

after picking yourself up off the ground you will realize the error of your reasoning the very first time you motor off with it down.
That's what I'm thinking. The switch is there for a reason. My vote is to find the wires and know how to bypass the switch should you need to some day, but I personally have not heard of any problems associated with the switch. The bulk of the problems with bikes stalling in the water have been associated with not doing the fuel vent mod.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i know i sure as hell woudnt want the bike to die in the middle of a stream crossing or in the middle of a big deep mud puddle... so i just did it to be safe... id rather worry about forgetting to put it up than worry about it cutting off at aworse time....

Old 03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

There wasn't much point in leaving it connected after upgrading to the ASV shorty clutch and perch which eliminates the clutch switch. Without the clutch switch, the kickstand switch serves no function and is just a liability. IMO, it's just a crutch anyway and can make you lax. Make checking the kickstand position just part of your mental checklist before taking off, like being in gear. Do we really need a safety interlock to keep us from taking off with the kickstand down? Sounds like an idea some lawyers dreamed up to me.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

There wasn't much point in leaving it connected after upgrading to the ASV shorty clutch and perch which eliminates the clutch switch. Without the clutch switch, the kickstand switch serves no function and is just a liability. IMO, it's just a crutch anyway and can make you lax. Make checking the kickstand position just part of your mental checklist before taking off, like being in gear. Do we really need a safety interlock to keep us from taking off with the kickstand down? Sounds like an idea some lawyers dreamed up to me.
I agree. Back in the day, we never had these switches and I have lived to the ripe old age of 49. I think that I'll be fine with mine disconnected.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:21 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

I too have been riding motorcycles forever, and I have never had a problem.

to each his own

Quick Reply: Disabling the kickstand switch..