Disabling the kickstand switch..

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Default Disabling the kickstand switch..

How many of us(if any)have disabled the kickstand safety switch? I'm aware of one other person who had theirs short on them. That's a major concern too me because I often ride alone, and I'm often WAAYY out in the sticks..does Deliverance ring a bell?? [sm=helpout.gif] I'm electricity illiterate so, how do I go about removing/disabling the switch? I don't wanna break down and end up squealing like a [sm=smiley30.gif]..[sm=smiley19.gif][sm=noooo.gif] Man..I hope you guys have seen the movie..LOL

Old 05-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Default RE: Disabling the kickstand switch..

Why would you need to disable it? I've never had one fail on a bike I've owned.

However, my clutch switch is currently not working, so I can only start my bike in neutral, but that's not a big deal. I've dropped the biek a few times and managed to keep it running as I picked it back up. The bike will run on it's side for 10-15 seconds before it stalls.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

Why would you need to disable it?
Because sometimes water can get inside the switch and short it out. Not fun for people who ride alone offroad in remote area.

konacoiler - Deliverence was filmed in N. Georgia, so yeah ... I know what you mean..

Old 05-27-2006, 08:39 PM

If it shorts out when wet, then I would assume that it's a normally open switch when the stand is in the up position. You should only need to cut the wires to the switch, seperate them, isolate each one wit helectrical tape, then coil up the extra wire and zip tie it to the frame somewhere.

If the switch needs to be closed when the stand is up, simple cut and strip the wiers, twist them together, cover them with electrical tape and and secure them to the frame.

THere's only two options. IT's a switch, it's either open or closed (On/Off). If it has 3 wires, then you would need to figure out which twi to jumper together. But I don't think it's this way.

Anyone have an electrical diagram from the service manual ot verify the switch operation?

Old 05-27-2006, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: konacoiler

How many of us(if any)have disabled the kickstand safety switch? I'm aware of one other person who had theirs short on them. That's a major concern too me because I often ride alone, and I'm often WAAYY out in the sticks..does Deliverance ring a bell?? [sm=helpout.gif] I'm electricity illiterate so, how do I go about removing/disabling the switch? I don't wanna break down and end up squealing like a [sm=smiley30.gif]..[sm=smiley19.gif][sm=noooo.gif] Man..I hope you guys have seen the movie..LOL
easy fix konacoiler.remove the seat and left side panel.then just follow the wires from the switch up to the right frame rail under the front of the seat.the 2 wires conviently have male and female bullet connectors.unplug the switch from them and then plug them into each other to complete the circuit.the switch looks pretty weatherproof but it's just one more thing that could go wrong at the wrong time so i removed mine a while ago.
and if you ever hear the phrase "you sure do have a pretty mouth" don't wait around to see what happens,just turn and run like forest gump.because that river don't go anywhwere near aintree.

motoguy128-you could do the same for your clutch safty switch.it prob also has bullet connectors at the harness so no spliceing required and gives a good weatherproof seal.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:43 PM

[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=smiley32.gif] Thanks for the input guys. I thought it was as easy as unhooking the wires and completing the circuit, but I wasn't aware of the connectors. I thought I would have to cut the wires as Motoguy said. I'll be doing this today; as we have more than our share of the wet stuff up here in the great Pacific Northwet.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:09 PM

Damn... thought it would be a harder mod for Kona. I could already hear the banjos startin' up. haha [sm=joke.gif]

Old 05-31-2006, 03:40 AM

FYI I have been on several rides with deep creek sections and crossings. The switch was never a problem and I've had it submerged for minutes at a time.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I'm stupid....so I'll ask the question. What exactly does the kickstand switch do? My bike will start with the kickstand down, and also with the kickstand up. Am I missing something here? I haven't experienced its function at all. Please inform me.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

If you shift into first with the kickstand down, the bike will stall.

Quick Reply: Disabling the kickstand switch..