Dial a jet

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I certainly would like to know if you could get good "max performance" AFR's outta the Dial-a-Jet from sea level to 13.5k ( top of the Co. trail passes..) We really need this data but what a project that would be to produce it.. I suppose main jet it for 13.5k and test the thing at sea level..?

Old 12-08-2015, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh ! Check out the newest member of the Dial-a-Jet family - the IntelaJet ! Now that's a product I can get enthused about. What I don't know is at what RPM and loading does the thing start enrichment..?

Old 12-08-2015, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

The Intellijet is a trick Dial-A-Jet that allows adjustment at the handle bar or wherever you mount the **** set up. With the Dial-A-Jet you have to loosen a screw and turn the dial. I don't get up over about 5000 so I didn't spend the big bucks.

The Intellijet and Dial-A-Jet will start feeding when the slide starts to open if it is running lean. It operates over the whole range of the slide as needed. And you are right, you'd jet at highest elevation with the Intellijet or DAJ set to the lean setting to allow for it to go richer if needed as a rider goes down in elevation and starts running too lean. From what I gather it can function over a range of maybe 10,000 feet, but you'd need to call Phil to ask him about it. I have read some of the articles on the ATV stuff and the guys run around that range if I remember right.

The best information on the subject will be found in ATV and sled media. I do know Dick's Racing does work with the Thunder Products stuff, putting two DAJ in their race carbs. Motocross action tried out the Dick's Racing carb with good results.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, that's how anyone can get the reliability of a carb with the altitude forgiveness of an FI - best of both worlds.. I only "require" max power fueling at my normal riding altitudes of sea level to 1200 ft - I'd be happy with "close enough" at biggy elevations..

Old 12-09-2015, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

So, you set the carb for your highest elevation and then when you go lower it automatically adds fuel? No twiddling of screws needed or do I need to simply turn an easy to access screw to richen the mixture as I descend? Just trying to get a clear picture of what happens.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Clear picture - You jet for highest altitude, twist the dial (on the InteliJet) to go richer at lower altitudes. I'd certainly want to test AFR at lowest altitude to find the proper dial setting for it.. Now, I am assuming you can turn it off while riding at top altitudes - I don't actually know if it has an "OFF" setting..

Old 12-09-2015, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

The design is such that you can ride over a range of several thousand without any adjustment at all. I've done 5,000 feet without touching the dial.

Since it only draws when the engine is drawing lean (vacuum and acoustics make it draw) you don't shut anything off.

It is more about having lean enough for the max elevation, the reason to have it set to or close to the leanest setting when starting. That gives the most range before it needs to richen up by turning the dial or the **** and the most range over all.

That's why I like it. Of course I'm not running 10,000 feet or anything. Mostly from 0-5000 so I do nothing with it.

Last edited by klx678; 12-10-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I seem to have misplaced my notes, but when I talked to the Intelajet guy I believe he said it could richen the equivalent of about 3 main jet numbers. So probably won't handle Ophir Pass to Death Valley.

I have an IJ (IJ-210-AY) kit and plan to install it as part of my 2016 annual jetting, either spring or fall:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...54/#post521907

Will document the install and results.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks and sounds like you will find out. I hope it does the job for you covering the broad range of elevation. Always good to find something that works. It has for me in the range I ride.

The Thunder Products used to be easier to navigate for information, but not so good now. Articles were easy to read and the testimonials too. Not so much now, but the product is easier to figure out.

I also now realize it isn't Phil, it is Lon at Thunder Products. Never remember names to save myself.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Your results should make a sweet thread here.. You know, we oughtta put together an AFR meter and tailpipe mounted 02 sensor and let members borrow it ... Perhaps start getting better carb'd KLX's and a better database for setups at various altitudes..

Quick Reply: Dial a jet