Custom or go upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Custom or go upgrade

So recently my shoulder has been getting better from my little accident in march. So i have been slowly going off road on different surfaces to get my confidence back up to where it was prior to my over judgement. I am 6'3 and standing up on this bike im hunched over like crazy. The bars even with the cr highs are about 6 inches to low for me to comfortably stand up. My delema is that I love the bike suspension and engine wise but the ergonomics for me aren't there. Would it better better to look at a bigger bike like a drz or spend the money to get the ergos tofit me? On road the bike is perfect for me right now but just standing off road is a no go.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

How are you standing? You need an athletic stance so your knees have to be bent while standing, that should take up about 3" of your 6" too short. Then add some bar ricers

Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Ill have to measure when I get off work. Is their risers that big?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I think they make 2-4" risers? Not 100% sure

Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
So recently my shoulder has been getting better from my little accident in march. So i have been slowly going off road on different surfaces to get my confidence back up to where it was prior to my over judgement. I am 6'3 and standing up on this bike im hunched over like crazy. The bars even with the cr highs are about 6 inches to low for me to comfortably stand up. My delema is that I love the bike suspension and engine wise but the ergonomics for me aren't there. Would it better better to look at a bigger bike like a drz or spend the money to get the ergos tofit me? On road the bike is perfect for me right now but just standing off road is a no go.
The DRz isn't all that much bigger physically, if at all. My friend has one and I've ridden it.

You will likely need to modify whatever you buy to suit your height. You may need to go with a set of risers and a built up seat to get the necessary ergos. Likely some custom cables and brake line. One thing you can do to make it better is to rotate the bars forward, which will open the riding area and angle the ends up a bit to suit your height. It might look a bit odd, but it will help.

Good fortunes to you with whatever you decide.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Klx678 as I am 5"8' and while the DRZ is taller seat wise it's not really taller once your on the pegs, the changes you are considering would be necessary for that bike also. It won't hurt to try and find one to test but the only difference I noticed was it was hard for me to touch the ground but once under way they are much the same.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
I'm 6'3" as well with 34" inseam and long monkey arms. I also needed risers. I've got cr hi bars with rox pro offset block risers, they move the bars up and forward. One thing to be aware of when getting block style risers is that they move the bars back towards you as they move them up. The offset risers don't do that. The other option is the rox pivoting risers.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by beevel
...The other option is the rox pivoting risers.
I have these on the KLX and KLR.
Really helps to put the bars in a better place.
And/or look at ATV bars.
You'll need longer cables.
Guts Racing tall foam seat helps when sitting.
6'1" w/ 34" inseam.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I have these on the KLX and KLR.
Really helps to put the bars in a better place.
And/or look at ATV bars.
You'll need longer cables.
Guts Racing tall foam seat helps when sitting.
6'1" w/ 34" inseam.
How much longer did you order the cables for and where?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm using a clutch cable from a 2006 KLR650. It works, but is not optimum. I think its about 2" longer than stock.

I'm using a Rox 2" pivoting riser and bars that may be a little taller than stock.

Look to motion pro for a longer cables. I still need to order a longer throttle cable as my stock one is tighter than I'd like.

Poke around this thread https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...q-links-30733/

Quick Reply: Custom or go upgrade