Crappy 1st to 2nd Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Crappy 1st to 2nd Shifting

Ok.

So I've kind of had it with the "never know what you're going to get" type of shifting I get when going from 1st to 2nd.

My clutch cable is properly set up. I preload the shifter. I usually shift around 5-6k out of 1st. Half the time, it's a somewhat smooth transition. The other half, it seems to catch abruptly. I don't let the clutch lever out any differently than when shifting from other gears.

If I get it up to 6-7k when shifting, it seems to cooperate more often. BC shifting at higher RPM is always smoother. But 6+ in 1st seems to work it a bit harder. Almost all my riding is around town. 5-10 min rides. So, most of the time, the bike isn't really that warm, so I don't want to rev it too high in first, being that I understand it's not 'good' to push the engine when cold.

This problem, be it on my end, or the bike's, is present when cold and after warming up.

For reference, I try the keep the bike over 4k RPM at all times, save for being in 1st.

So, boys, how's your bike feel going from 1st to 2nd? Any notchiness, abrupt catching? Is it always smooth? Anything different to do when going from 1st to 2nd? Is it possible I have a bum gear? I bought the bike used. It's a 2009 SF.

Your insight and help is much appreciated.

-A

Old 05-14-2015, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

What model and year??????

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-14-2015, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Changed the oil and filter lately?

Old 05-14-2015, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

1-2 shift isn't the same on the drum, there is the neutral detent area making a bit more effort for the shift versus others - you hit neutral. from a design standpoint I also take it there may be just a shade more clearance between the engagement dogs from 1st to 2nd than there are from each gear there on up, since there definitely has to be a neutral position and all the others should not have that same need. Not quite enough effort results in a missed shift.

Some old Sachs two strokes had adjustable shifting mechanisms when, if not adjusted properly, would result in what was often called a gear box full of neutrals. Riders would be hittnig false neutrals between the gears. Most all bikes now to my knowledge are fixed position. Adequate clearance for neutral and just enough to seldom end up between gears above 2nd. I still would hit one all the time on my old MotoGuzzi going 4th to 5th.

I miss the 1-2 way too often on about any bike and usually when going a bit aggressive. It really is most likely me, not the bike. You decide for yourself - is it you or is it the bike.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Several possible variables here. On the year model, I think Brewster might be touching on the slightly different elements present in different year models that affect shifting.

Other variables can also be the shifter length as compared to different rider foot sizes and/or large boots. The OEM shifter is rather short for many foot sizes, and the longer compatible shifter like the Honda XR650L can help alleviate that jump across neutral like klx678 mentions. Then again, it could be as simple as the shifter angle on the shaft spline. And...have you had any hard falls on the left that resulted in you having re-bend the shifter back in place?

Another issue is oil condition and age/mileage like ol'klx mentions. Yes, oil "freshness" seems to make a notable difference in shifting quality on many wet clutch, engine oil designs.

Barring crash/impact issues of some magnitude, I doubt you're experiencing a "bum" gear scenario.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

When I bought it used, it had gone down on the left side and bent the stock shifter. It would scratch the engine case a bit when shifted up. Consequently, it was one of the first things I replaced.

The shifter I now have feels good. I've angled it downward to get more leverage while shifting. It's an MSR, or something.

It's like after the shift, 2nd gear will 'catch on.' Like when you're feathering the clutch in a gear, and it's ultimately a bit too low, and it suddenly and quickly locks in place. A small clunk. Same feeling.

I rarely accidentally hit Neutral anymore when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It used to plague me, but after adjusting the shift lever, it's no longer a thing for me. I will, however hit a false neutral evvvveryyyy once in a while. Totally threw me for a loop the first time it happened. And still does on the very rare occasion.

Last oil change, I changed the filter. I'm using Castrol 4-stroke moto oil 10W-40. Perhaps it's time for another 'spring' oil change. My battery recently was drained, so I've lost the mileage on my 'A' tach since last oil change. I guess I'll change it soon, for good measure.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 PM

Could it possibly be the shift star was damaged when it went down on the left side and bent the shift lever? That would be pretty easy to check and eliminate.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barebow
Could it possibly be the shift star was damaged when it went down on the left side and bent the shift lever? That would be pretty easy to check and eliminate.
Could damage to the shift star only affect a 1st to 2nd shift?

I might as well have a look.

I've read about my bike's year having a potential faulty shift star. (2009)

Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

My 2009 had an occasional problem with coming out of 2nd into neutral (on its own). I got the updated shift star, and did the mod to the return spring (slightly more tension on the spring, so it's slightly harder to shift, but less likely to pop out of 2nd into neutral), and it's improved the situation. Yours doesn't sound like exactly the same problem, but might be related.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know if Kawi made any changes to the shape of the shift star over the years. See what can be done:
Shift Star Fix

The shift star is easy to grind. Just make the peaks more pointed and don't mess with the neutral peaks.

Ride on
Brewster

Quick Reply: Crappy 1st to 2nd Shifting