Coolant Overflow tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Coolant Overflow tank

I killed a spider that was on my coolant overflow - and it broke my overflow. I'm debating the need to replace it or just route the hosing out the back...

Has anybody had any adverse effects from not running an overflow tank?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

you figure when it's hot it'll flow in to the overflow and get sucked back in when cooler....without the overflow, i'm guessing it'll just flow out..and, you'll constantly need to refill....and, coolant on the ground is very dangerous to other motorcycles...others have built smaller overflows with plastic bottles and containers on their klx...

Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been removing all the useless bits on my S and I just couldn't figure out what a coolant over flow tank was going to do on a bike that doesn't (can't?) overheat. I removed the tank and all the hoses and attached a short hose to the radiator cap neck and routed it up and a little forward. If my bike ever gets hot enough to push the cap spring open there will be this steamy geyser of coolant spraying forward and upward. If I don't have a heart attack from the surprise I'll probably figure out what's going. Much better than a dash light.

Last edited by duncanblake; 02-08-2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Really good tequila
Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope you aren't moving into that spray if/when that cap blows Duncan! Sounds like extra motivation to go ATGAT for risk of burn prevention haha

Anybody else remove the tank? I'm still inclined to buy a replacement unless there is any compelling reason not to.

(of note ahn, I use Water Wetter out here in the desert - no slippy sliding on the street. Already had some handy for my track days)

Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine is off(gas tank is in it's place), puked a tiny bit at first(probably what was in the hose) but none since. I just put a plastic coupler in between the incoming and outgoing lines from the bottle.
I rode all summer on some hot days with long 1st and 2nd gear climbs up mountains and it has been fine. I religiously checked the end of the hose for months for signs of fluid.
Might put it on if I were in the desert and riding sand, or sitting in lots of traffic...

Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

To mmmbeefy: If you read the "thermo bob" page you will understand why getting the coolant so hot it pushes open the radiator cap spring is not likely. But what the hell do I know? Don't trust anyone. Do your homework.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
To mmmbeefy: If you read the "thermo bob" page you will understand why getting the coolant so hot it pushes open the radiator cap spring is not likely. But what the hell do I know? Don't trust anyone. Do your homework.
Haha, yes I will indeed do my homework - part of that is asking if anyone else has had any problems by removing it

Being that I live in Arizona where it was 83 degrees last weekend (note, it is February) I ordered a new overflow bottle. It actually has spit out just a little bit, and each time I refill the radiator it spits up a bit more. I'm sure I'm still in safe parameters, but no sense pushing the limits (especially with a 351 kit).

Old 02-21-2014, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Mine is off(gas tank is in it's place), puked a tiny bit at first(probably what was in the hose) but none since. I just put a plastic coupler in between the incoming and outgoing lines from the bottle.
I rode all summer on some hot days with long 1st and 2nd gear climbs up mountains and it has been fine. I religiously checked the end of the hose for months for signs of fluid.
Might put it on if I were in the desert and riding sand, or sitting in lots of traffic...
HA!! I ONLY ride in the desert (AZ), sand (Glamis), or commute in Phoenix traffic! (Except for my once-a-year trip to Central Utah anyway) I'm going to play it safe and replace it. Thanks for your feedback though!

Old 02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmmbeefy
HA!! I ONLY ride in the desert (AZ), sand (Glamis), or commute in Phoenix traffic! (Except for my once-a-year trip to Central Utah anyway) I'm going to play it safe and replace it. Thanks for your feedback though!
I hear ya, I ride in vegas, and I wouldn't feel comfortable in 100+ degree weather without an overflow tank

Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Next time I'll leave the spider alone!

Quick Reply: Coolant Overflow tank