Containers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Containers

I've been thinking.... (yes, very dangerous). I ride trails with my son and some friends. I want to carry two MSR fuel cans (one for 4T gas, one for 2T gas) and some basic tools. I've settled on using PVC pipe with threaded ends, and three seems to be the right number; one for each fuel can, one for tools. Question is: where to mount them! I have a 2012 KLX250S that's basically stock; no racks, etc, and no plans on getting racks; just trying to figure out the best place to mount these tubes, probably with stainless steel hose clamps, but I'm open to ideas... Thoughts?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I would just strap the MSR cans by themselves to the tail, where your tool bag used to be, then carry the tools in a camelbak or small backpack. If you use some contact cement on the bottles and cover them in thin layer of closed cell foam they will move less and scratch the plastics less(if that matters).
Or use Sweetcheeks to carry them.
PVC is heavy and tough and might hurt you in a get off.
I have some bear proof containers I made the same way that your thinking of...I use them on canoe trips where the weight I'm carrying doesn't matter.
Just my opinion...

Old 10-21-2014, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Michaelb2
I've been thinking.... (yes, very dangerous). I ride trails with my son and some friends. I want to carry two MSR fuel cans (one for 4T gas, one for 2T gas) and some basic tools. I've settled on using PVC pipe with threaded ends, and three seems to be the right number; one for each fuel can, one for tools. Question is: where to mount them! I have a 2012 KLX250S that's basically stock; no racks, etc, and no plans on getting racks; just trying to figure out the best place to mount these tubes, probably with stainless steel hose clamps, but I'm open to ideas... Thoughts?
Mileage in a Bottle - Dual Sport Alchemy

Old 10-21-2014, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Take a look at a couple of options on this web page
KLX250S Home Page
The wolfman bottle holster can be attached in many ways
I use the Tractor manual canister that has attaching brackets.
The MSR bottles fit inside nicely especially if you put the bottle inside an old sock before putting inside the canister.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Take a look at a couple of options on this web page. Scroll down the page to see the canister options

KLX250S Home Page

The wolfman bottle holster can be attached in many ways
I use the Tractor manual canisters that have attaching brackets.
The MSR bottles fit inside the canister nicely.
Put the bottle inside an old sock before putting inside the canister for a nice snug fit

D

Old 10-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I carry 2 of the 22 oz bottles in my pelican case and 2 of the 33 oz in my camelbak. I finally got to use the extra gas on my 100 mile ride the other day. FYI for me it was a great way to test just how far I could go on the two smaller bottles. I hit reserve at around 80, I then stopped and put in the two smaller bottler which total 44 oz and went another 17 miles and hit reserve again. So at least now I know how far the smaller ones will get me and now its just a matter of adding it up....... Dang it!!! I was told there would be no math. LOL

Old 10-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Or you could do this...I did it once on the Vancouver Island trip back in 2008.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...did-mod-22698/