Colorado GPX/KML Data

Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Colorado GPX/KML Data

I compiled some GPX/KML files for Colorado 4WD roads and Trails that I have acquired and reorganized. This data is primarily a compilation from two data sources available online. The first is www.Traildamage.com which is primarily for 4 wheel drive vehicles. The second is from IntrepidXJ’s Adventure Weblog: http://www.myxj.net/blog/trails. Other sources used to create Google Earth Tracks are visual inspection of Google Earth, a book titled “Colorado Trails – Central Region”, and various National Forrest Service online data. The most complete data is compiled into a Google Earth KMZ file that includes 355 fire roads and trails in 36 of Colorado’s Counties. The data obtained from the website Trail Damage is also available in GPX format. To convert the other KML files not already in GPX format, just download and use GPS Babel to convert from KML to GPX format.

The Google Earth KMZ file includes 3 subfolders “Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads”, “Scenic Paved Roads”, and Colorado Counties”. The Trails in the “Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads” are segregated into the 36 Colorado counties. There are occasional overlaps with some of the roads and trails, but not too many. Unfortunately the “Scenic Paved Roads” is currently a little light, as it only contains the following 3 roads: “Peak to Peak Scenic Drive”, “Independence Pass Road”, and “Highway 285”. It may not be possible to convert the last three to GPX files as they were obtained from ESRI SHP files and probably contain too many points. The KML of the Colorado Counties was useful in compiling and segregating this information and may be useful to you.

The Excel Spreadsheet titled “Colorado Motorcycle Trails.xls” contains all of the roads and trails in the Google Earth KML file categorized alphabetically by Colorado County and alphabetically by Trail. It includes the rating system from the web site Trail Damage and up to eight nearby trails for each trail. This file could be easily modified by those Colorado ADVRIDER’S who are both experienced and interested in providing an actual difficulty rating as well recommended motorcycle size.

Lastly I have not ridden over most of the roads contained in this compiled data and as such cannot personally attest to the accuracy of the information. However, I would not have included the information if I did not have a degree of trust from the various information sources.

You may notice that I originally created this post for ADVRIDER’s regional Rockies thread, so that maybe some of the people in the area would rate the trail/road difficultly.

“Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads.kmz”
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2moyjyjalnm/Colorado Motorcycle & 4WD Roads.kmz

“Colorado Motorcycle Trails.xls”
http://www.mediafire.com/file/m2mwmmykydi/Colorado Motorcycle Trails.xls

“Trail Damage GPX.zip”
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mvjjwvhqcjh/Trail Damage GPX.zip

Dan

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Dan,
Great compilation of information there. I don't have GPS, but the excel file has a ton of great links to trails I may do some day. I just spent a half hour looking at pics in the XJ blog, very nice site! I see some familiar territory in there. Thanks for cross posting and sharing on here.
Dan

Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

No problem. Did you look at the Google Earth KML/KMZ, it is an excellent tool to scout areas you are riding for singletrack. I noticed on your Colorado trip that you were interested in some single track. I am only aware of a couple of single tracks. One is the 401 trail off of the Gothic/Schoefield Pass track in Gunnison County north of Crested Butte (there are some bicycle yourtube videos) and in my KML there is the Monarch Crest Single track in my Chafee County. You should be able to find the 401 trail using Google Earth. Of course there is the Rainbow Trail which is south east of the Monarch Crest and you should be able to find a GPX of that on ADVRider

Dan

Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fooswolf
No problem. Did you look at the Google Earth KML/KMZ, it is an excellent tool to scout areas you are riding for singletrack. I noticed on your Colorado trip that you were interested in some single track. I am only aware of a couple of single tracks. One is the 401 trail off of the Gothic/Schoefield Pass track in Gunnison County north of Crested Butte (there are some bicycle yourtube videos) and in my KML there is the Monarch Crest Single track in my Chafee County. You should be able to find the 401 trail using Google Earth. Of course there is the Rainbow Trail which is south east of the Monarch Crest and you should be able to find a GPX of that on ADVRider

Dan
Ahhhhh? ummmm. KML/KMZ? I'll have to google up on what those are. Does it lay a route over a google earth image? I'll look into it, and how to use it. (I couldn't open the downloaded file) It sounds like it would be very useful.
Give me a little time, I'll catch up.
Dan

Old 07-14-2010, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

First you need to download and install the free version of Google Earth. Google Maps has some of the functionality of Earth, such as satellite terrain images and 3D representation of the terrain with transportation overlays. The KML/KMZ file is just an XML/HTML file that Google Earth stores tracks/waypoints and routes that are easily converted to GPX files useful in GPS devices. After you install Google Earth just double click the KMZ file and it will open into Google Earth. A KMZ file is just a compressed (ie zipped) KML file. You can open a KML file in any text editor. The the thing that I really like about Google Earth is the ability to view the terrain or mountains in 3D almost like you were there. If you turn on the Panoramio Photographs you can view actual photos in the area (you can also do this in Google Maps, but I prefer Google Earth.) I recommend exploring Glacier National Park this way by following the Going to the Sun Road in 3D. The real advantage Google Earth has over Google Maps is in the KML/KMZ creation, editing, saving and viewing -- much easier.

Dan

Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the explanation. I thought Google Maps was Google Earth. I'll give Google Earth a try.
Dan