Clutch Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Default Clutch Safety Switch

New to the forum.

Just bought a used 2009 klx250s with a few farkles on it.

It looks like its been well loved in the trails which is fine since thats what I'll be using it for mainly.

My big issue is electrical confuses me and it will only start in neutral.

This 'plug' is just hanging there and I can't see where it would plug into.

I don't mind completely disabling the switch so the bike will start with clutch out or in but is there a tutorial or something on here that can kinda walk me through that?

I also just ordered some shorty levers and will be ordering a skid plate cause somehow the bike didn't come with one.

Took it out on the weekend the first day I owned it.

woot!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

You'll need to find the wire that the plug goes into - might need to remove the side cover and try to see if the wire is tucked/fallen down into there. I shorted two of the wires (in the harness that that plug connects to) because my clutch switch is broken. I replaced the clutch switch and it broke soon after, so I just shorted the wires again, so it thinks the clutch is always pulled in (means it will try to start in gear - lurches forward if in gear and the clutch is out.)

Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

That wire connector in his hand hooks up to the clutch switch. Or in place of being plugged into the clutch switch just install a jumper wire there.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
That wire connector in his hand hooks up to the clutch switch. Or in place of being plugged into the clutch switch just install a jumper wire there.
Yes, you're right - that's jogged my memory. He just either needs to plug that plug into the clutch switch socket (underside of the clutch lever mount), or if his clutch switch is broken (like on both of my KLX's), then short 2 of the wires - I don't recall now if there's 3 and which two you short, or it's a 3-wire plug but there's only 2 wires, and you just short the two?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM

Thanks!

will jamming a paperclip into the thing in my hand in lieu of a jumper wire work? :wink:

Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Casper137
Thanks!

will jamming a paperclip into the thing in my hand in lieu of a jumper wire work? :wink:
Yes, but make sure you insulate the exposed paperclip so nothing shorts out on it. I used a short piece of wire, leaving the wire insulation on the area that isn't 'inside' the wire connector, so no bare wires were exposed, then put electrical tape over that.