Clutch Lever Kills Engine, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Clutch Lever Kills Engine, Why?

Rode my KLX around the farm, parked it. A few minutes later it started fine, but when I released the clutch lever it died. Scenario repeats several times before I figure out it only dies when the lever is fully released,and I figure out there is apparently a switch in the clutch lever itself.

I trace the wires (2) from the lever to a plug behind the headlight, unplug it and, viola, it runs!

From the plug the wires disappear into the wiring harness.

Does anyone know what might have happened and how to fix it? I'm a little apprehensive about leaving the clutch switch unplugged, though I cannot imagine what it's purpose is, so I'd like to get it fixed.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Could be the kickstand safety switch. Do a search and you'll find a few threads on the topic.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Your kickstand was down. There is a reason for all the safety interlocks, leave them there.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Recap, switch on the clutch won't let the engine start unless the lever is pulled in. The side stand switch will not let the bike run if in gear and the stand is down. Odds are your side stand switch is screwed up. Look up the thread on removing it if you want to get rid of it. I think the wires complete a circuit when the stand is up, but I forget. Otherwise clean it and see if it works or replace it. I took mine of both my KLXs. It is just another mechanical/electrical part that can and does get screwed up when exposed to mud and crud. I learned to ride without them and can survive without. It's a rider's choice/preference kind of thing.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Recap, switch on the clutch won't let the engine start unless the lever is pulled in. ...
Are you sure? Shouldn't it start with clutch lever out IF the bike is in neutral. If its not in neutral, then the lever needs to be in. A series of three safety switches: clutch, side stand, and neutral.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default how the switches interact

from the service manual, a bit blurry, shot hand held

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Lever Kills Engine, Why?-img_0551.jpg  
Old 02-08-2015, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Are you sure? Shouldn't it start with clutch lever out IF the bike is in neutral. If its not in neutral, then the lever needs to be in. A series of three safety switches: clutch, side stand, and neutral.
You're right, it does. Still, my money is on the side stand switch malfunctioning. The clutch switch doesn't affect running, it affects the starter, the side stand switch will shut the bike off if in gear and the clutch is released. I'm not sure, but it might shut the bike off entirely if put in gear side stand down. But my battery is near dead so I can't verify that.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default The Winner Is..........Side Stand Switch

Though side stand switch wasn't working correctly previously (It would stay running with stand down and in gear.), it apparently now malfunctioned in a way that acts like the stand is down all the time. I hope that explanation isn't too hard to follow, cause it's a little confusing to me.

Bottom line, I disconnected the kick stand switch and I'm back in business, running like a top.

Thanks to all for the tips.