Clarke tank fit and finish??

Old 12-18-2007, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Clarke tank fit and finish??

The key cap is another good point---but since I commute on it I like it[8D]

I consider Clarke the only other tank option, the Acerbis is fugly & the IMS is a science project.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

ORIGINAL: mooredan

If the Clarke had not come along, then I would have gotten the IMS. Today, I would still decide upon the Clarke over the IMS and Acerbis tanks.
Just curious why is that? More issues with the others? I recall seeing the Acerbis one a long time ago and thinking it looked like crap.

I would definately love to get the extra capacity. I'm just extra concerned about the fitment issue with the unabiker guards. And I'm not sure if I go this right...but the seat doesnt hook into that tab (that was on the stock tank) anymore? So the only thing holding the seat are the 2 screws now?
I agree with mustang and KLXer on why to choose the Clarke over the others. I'll add another perceived issue with the Acerbis, although it can hold more fuel not all of that fuel is available as it gets "stranded" in the lower part of the right hand side of the tank.

I haven't experienced incompatability issues associated with having Clarke tank and Unabiker rad guards.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

My !st Clarke tank didn't fit as well as my natural colored one. As far as the shroud to tank gap mines not that bad and with this tank the seat fit alot better to the tank. I would still bye one don't over think it.

Kevin

Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

maybe i'll just give it a go and if its horrible i'll ask for me money back

Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info guys. hopefully i'll get to start doing some mods to my bike soon. christmas is coming my wallets very thin!!!!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Has anyone thought of taking a heatgun to the new tank(before filling)to soften it up when puting the seat on. maybe that would help! Just an idea.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I've had the Clarke tank for a while now. All things considered, I'm pretty happy with it. I figure the gap between the seat and the shrouds is the price paid for and expanded tank with extra capacity, so I'm okay with that. The problem with not being able to attach the seat to the tank screw bugged me at first, but I gave up, and realized that the seat is well secured by slotting under the the tongue of the fuel tank. So the last little gripe was the brass fitting being too close to the frame. I think this one might be solved by putting a washer or two under the tongue of the tank to raise it up a few millimeters.

So, I would recommend this tank to others, just keep in mind it's not perfect, but it does the job well enough.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 PM
1st Gear Member

With all the problems that seems to occur with aftermarket gas tanks. I'm glad now that I stuck and dealt with the stock 1.9gal tank. For the most part, I never hit RES, I can usually go 90miles before filling. And theres now issues with fitment.

Maybe down the road. IMS would be the way to go.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Drop your bike a few times while rock climbing and you may think about wanting a tank that does not dent or scratch Also, I have a commute which is 60 miles a day round trip, with the stock tank I would need to get gas every 1.5 trips, with the Clarke I can go 2.5 days. (assuming 50 MPG) that is a HUGE difference.

Also, some of the organized dual sport rides I take are over 100 miles in single track and fire road riding; not to mention I know kick *** riding spots that are 50 or so miles away, 1.9 gallons really doesn't cover it, unless I carry gas or make multiple stops.

So, if you add it up:

Plus:

Lighter Weight
Keyless gas cap
Dent resistant
Rust resistant (inside and out)
Scratch resistant
Additional 50 or so mile range
Color choice (I went greent)

Delta:

Minor reported gap issue

Hmmm, for me, the plusses far outweight the delta.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats why I added, "Maybe down the road. IMS would be the way to go". The stock tank does good tome for the time being. And theres no shame in carrying a 2gal gas can on the rack. I've done it for those extra long rides where gas is only found after eating a can of beans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clarke tank fit and finish??