Clarke tank fit and finish??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Clarke tank fit and finish??

Is it just me or do some clarke tanks have a gap between the seat and the radiator shroud and some don't. On mustangs sound clip vid I don't see a gap, butthe install thread with pics of the green tank it does. What gives!! Just want to find out before I do it.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Clarke tank fit and finish??

There is a small gap where the tank bulges just a bit. It might have something to do with using the Mikuni or FCR carb though. With either carb, the tank must ride about 1/4" high in the rear. The gap isn't a problem for me, but then I have a black tank so it looks almost normal. It's well worth the small fitment issue to have more gas and it looks a lot better than a red jerry can on the luggage rack.Looks better than me pushing too.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 12-18-2007, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think that the Clarke tank fits all that great. Yes there is a gap between the radiator shroud and the seat. I just put some black electrical tape on the radiator shroud's lip so that it isn't as noticable.

After trimming the TM68's bell crank and bracket, I don't need to raise it up in the rear, however things are still close.

I'm ambivalent about the Clarke tank: On one hand, I love the extra capacity, simplicity and weight reduction that it offers over the stock tank. On the other hand, given the time it took to develop, I feel that they could have made it bigger and fit better.

I get the feeling that development wasn't really high on thier priority list and once they got to it, they designed something that was just good enough. This probably contributed to the quality issues that the early tanks had.

I have several fitment issues with the tank:

- The "****" where the seat is supposed to slip in is poorly designed -- I've never had the front of the seat "lock" into place as it seems it is supposed to
- The brass fittings for one of the fuel filters is right up against the frame.
- It never sits down right into place. I feel that it should rest down onto the frame bumpers and the bolt holes be aligned. I find that in order to the front bolt hole to be aligned, the tank is up off of the frame bumpers and really resting on the bolts themselves.

What's one to do? There are two other aftermarket tank options (Acerbis and IMS), both with their own set of reported issues. If given the choice between the Clarke and the stock tank, I'll take the Clarke tank, primarily due to the extra capacity. I'm not worried about its appearance too much.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Blast....just when I was set on getting the clarke.....well I need something so back to the research I guess

Old 12-18-2007, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

There's a gap on mine, too. Maybe because the tank is black, it doesn't show as much. I'm not thrilled with the fitment either - my seat doesn't slip over the screwhead on the tank very well either. But I will say,the Clarke tankis a hell of a lot easy to get on and off than the stock tank! Itwas a PITA getting those side bolts through the frame and threaded into the stock tank, but they fall right in with the Clarke tank.

I definitely neededa 100-mile or morerange, and a big-bore kit and a pumper carb didn't help the mpg's. Of the aftermarket tanks currently available, I'd still buy the Clarke even with it's issues.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

The thing keeping me from ordering up a Clarke is the fit issue with the gap but more importantly the comments that it is wider. One of the things I like most about the KLX is bow narrow it is at the seat-tank (relativley speaking compared to the othe rbikes in its class, not a new MX 125). I would need to see one in person first to know how big of a deal it would be to me.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are willing to get by without the extra capacity, I feel that the other advantages of the Clarke tank aren't compelling enough to get one. The extra capacity is a BIG factor for me, even though it's only 0.8 gallons. The extra 30 or so miles makes a big difference on a long ride.

If the Clarke had not come along, then I would have gotten the IMS. Today, I would still decide upon the Clarke over the IMS and Acerbis tanks.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mooredan

If the Clarke had not come along, then I would have gotten the IMS. Today, I would still decide upon the Clarke over the IMS and Acerbis tanks.
Just curious why is that? More issues with the others? I recall seeing the Acerbis one a long time ago and thinking it looked like crap.

I would definately love to get the extra capacity. I'm just extra concerned about the fitment issue with the unabiker guards. And I'm not sure if I go this right...but the seat doesnt hook into that tab (that was on the stock tank) anymore? So the only thing holding the seat are the 2 screws now?

Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

What is the issue with the rad guards? I have both the tank and the guards coming for Christmas from my wife, what kind of hell am I in for?

As a side note, after dumping my bike one too many times and putting a nice gash in the stock tank, I would welcome a plastic tank and its keyless gas cap.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stellar_d
I would definately love to get the extra capacity. I'm just extra concerned about the fitment issue with the unabiker guards. And I'm not sure if I go this right...but the seat doesnt hook into that tab (that was on the stock tank) anymore? So the only thing holding the seat are the 2 screws now?
No, the seat clips on just like the stock one, it's just a real pain to get the front slot of the seat underneath the "****" on the Clarke tank. The seat also has a big clip on the bottom that slides under a frame crossmember, so it's not going anywhere regardless.

Speaking only for myself, I'd buy the Clarke again because A) I don't like the looks of the Acerbis tank, and B) the IMS tank requires new radiator shrouds and the removal of the stock fan. The Clarke tank doesn't affect the stock shrouds, so your Unabiker guards will still fit. It's just the front of the seat that gets pushed up more, causing the gap.

Quick Reply: Clarke tank fit and finish??