Choke won't stay pulled out

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Choke won't stay pulled out

So like it says, my choke lever doesn't stay out anymore.
I've been looking all morning for a good diagram but I can't get one that I can magnify and read(my internet connection at home sucks, it takes so long sometimes pages just stop loading and videos never play correctly, working off satellite here in the middle of nowhere, lucky to have any internet).
Once I get to work I can fix that issue.

My real question is:

Is this the time to upgrade to a TM or do I just fix it and keep the CVK?

Bike is mostly stock, re-jetted with a 300 muffler, and might get rebuilt and become a big bore this winter. She's showing the ravages of winter riding and needs a tear down and paint job (at least).

Last edited by MaximusPrime; 07-23-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: correcting the record
Old 07-23-2016, 04:31 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

MP, you know with your mileage it might be prime time...pun intended...for a displacement increase, valve job, and a TM36. Though none of that stuff is necessary, you sound a little like some of us who've kept their KLX and intend to continue doing so. I love the TM36, and just the throttle response alone is worth it to me, but again, people are different.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

If that is the rationale that it takes to go to the TM, I'd say yes, the fix to a choke that doesn't stay engaged is to buy a TM36-68!

What happens when your helmet gets dirty?

I've been seeing some of this stuff about the Lectron over in the ADVrider forum... kind of makes one wonder if that would be a consideration. A friend ran them on his record setting H2 triple. I don't remember what he ran on his later big bore Kaw 4 cylinder bike.

Last edited by klx678; 07-23-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
If that is the rationale that it takes to go to the TM, I'd say yes, the fix to a choke that doesn't stay engaged is to buy a TM36-68!

I've been seeing some of this stuff about the Lectron over in the ADVrider forum... kind of makes one wonder if that would be a consideration. A friend ran them on his record setting H2 triple. I don't remember what he ran on his later big bore Kaw 4 cylinder bike.
Mark, I tried Lectron, EI, and a couple of other carbs back in the day on off road 4-stroke singles, and I was not impressed. My take is that they tried to make them too simple...in other words not enough tuning fuel and air circuits...that they never achieve really great state of tune. For racing and such, probably not as critical because finite tuning may not be quite as critical in some cases...but not always the case obviously. Something used for the street and/or trail riding where very clean, crisp throttle control and idling are a must, I found them to be finicky.

That is not to say that these simple flat slide carbs can't be tuned into more than acceptable performance...just might take more finesse, knowledge, and time. One pattern I think I did notice on these carbs...it seemed like larger displacement engines, 600cc and above, seemed to have better success running them. To be honest I haven't studied any newer version of the Lectron model, so they may have made great strides there. The concept on these simple flat slide carbs is good, but I found them not to have enough tuning latitude for a 250-350cc 4-S single. The TM36 having multiple tuning elements...idle air jet, pilot jet, needle jet, needle, main jet, etc...and lots of them, gives one the ability to fine tune extremely well...maybe too much for some. You know, if still had a KLR650, I think I'd be tempted to try a 40mm version of the TM36-68.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm wondering if the powerjet helped out with some of the jetting, adding the needed variability in the jetting by the acoustic and vacuum wave patterns ala the Dial-A-Jet.

Of course when I finally get the TM on my bike I will also be installing the Dial-A-Jet too.

Finally going to have some space. We are getting a 12x20 "barn" for me to work on the tensioners and keep all the bike stuff...

Kinda like this, but with single side door, double doors on end, and painted to match the house.

Then she can have her car in the garage, maybe even the truck!

Last edited by klx678; 07-23-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:19 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yep, I knew you were making money hand-over-fist by bilking all of us poor motorcyclists. What's next?...gold plated fixtures in that shop building?

Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

25 bucks for new kawasaki choke plunger , probably cheaper in a china copy

Another low buck ($20) carb mod is a quick throttle, it'll increase the throttle tension but you can easily unwind the return spring a turn to make up for it. You'd be surprised how much it helps (percieved or actual) throttle response . Magura 314.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I am definitely stuck with this bike, it's worth more to me than what it would sell for.
I'm going to fix the carb one way or another...I'd use it to offset the TM cost, after I've successfully made the swap. Not unhappy with the CVK, but some more throttle response would be nice to have.

I'm very curious to see the valves. I'm still on 2.9 shims when it started at 3.0. I've adjusted them twice in 55,000 miles. The top end isn't coming off until winter, so I'll have to keep doing little maintenance jobs in the meantime.
I do have a list of little parts and small jobs that need to be done on the bike. I do a couple each week.

My biggest problem I just found when wiping the bike down. I have some serious corrosion on my fork tubes. It's around the clamps...I think my last trail crash and reset exposed it. I can't get the tubes out without some removal of corrosion...and I don't know how deep it goes...we'll see.

All of this would be easier with a nice shed like Mark posted.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Yep, I knew you were making money hand-over-fist by bilking all of us poor motorcyclists. What's next?...gold plated fixtures in that shop building?

I actually would have gotten the building in last week, but the builders let Trump and Pence use it for their interview last week.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually my wife pushed the building issue, she wants to be able to finally park her car in the garage. Can I help it if I took advantage? Besides, the bank still owns it on one of those 0%/24 months checks they sent me in the mail. Hoping to pay it out before paying interest.

Quick Reply: Choke won't stay pulled out