Is changing a flat hard on 2009 KLX250s??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Is changing a flat hard on 2009 KLX250s??

Hey guys, In the past I have always had someone fix my flats for me on my 2009 KLX250s. I have decided to fix it myself this time. I picked up a small nail yesterday so I am getting ready to order a heavy duty tube, tire tools and some rim protectors and I have already taken off my rear wheel (big feat for me)...lololol. Now my questions are.....is a flat hard to fix or should I just take the wheel to a shop and have it done? How expensive is it if you have already taken off the wheel and you let them fix just the flat?? In the past i would just trailer my bike down there and let them do the whole thing but I want to learn how to do it myself. Please help in the deep south

Old 07-10-2011, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Buy three irons, and it's easy.

Search Youtube for instruction vids.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the confidence booster Cousin Larry!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I highly recommend learning to do it yourself. It will save you some cash and some running around, and it may come in handy some day in the woods. It's also satisfying to not have to rely on someone else.
This is the video that I learned from when I first stated doing it.

YouTube - ‪Easy dirt bike tire change instructions‬‏
YouTube - ‪Easy dirt bike tire change instructions part 2‬‏
YouTube - ‪Easy dirt bike tire change instructions part 3‬‏

There are others on youtube too.

I have noticed that some tires are harder to mount than others. Stiffer sidewalls, or even beads make some of them harder to do. I just happened to pick up a tire changing stand in a package deal on craigslist, but before that I just used a 5 gal bucket to set the tire on. Harbor Freight sells the tire changing stands, and they do make it easier. You don't need long tire irons, if you can't get it done with some 8inch irons you're doing something wrong. Three irons is the way to go.
You may get frustrated , but take your time and use the right tools and supplies and you should get its. Patients, persistence,tire irons, windex, baby powder.
Dan

Old 07-10-2011, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

haha cuz larry kinda beat me to it with the short version.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Understand this ONE MAIN POINT: get the bead of the tire into the main channel of the rim. If you do that, it's not hard.

If you use lubricant of some sort (soapy water, Murphy's oil soap in water, or even just water), it's almost easy.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

three irons... I have two 8in that I carry on the trail and a 15 inch. It's easier than I though to change tires. Fronts seem easier than rear. I kinda struggled with unltra heavy duty tubes and rim locks. Take your time and think about what your doing.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone!!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Nails go right through the tuff tubes just as easy as the regular tubes. Tuff tubes are just harder to put on. Been there. Done that. I can be miles down some trail and I'll manage to pick up a friggin nail. I always carry a pair of spoons, one of those little tire inflation kits that take the CO2 cartridges, and between the bunch of us, we'll have the right size spare tubes. That is, if we're going somewhere and not just farting around locally.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Now what about mouting up a mousse bib......
or maybe tire *****..

Quick Reply: Is changing a flat hard on 2009 KLX250s??