Chain rubbing tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Default Chain rubbing tire

Hi guys, first timer here with my problem.

I bought the bike last year but only started riding it a few weeks ago.The previous owner converted the bike to this stage. Unfortunately he didn't do his homework, and I did not know better. I thought I am buying the SF version.
Now, after I figured out this is the 250S I would like to convert it back to the original setup. I have hundreds of miles dirt and gravel road around me and this would be my son's first big bike. But I don't think this is safe this way.

The chain is rubbing the tire and the rear axle is tweaked already to help with the clearance.I put a smaller 130/80/17 tire on with same result. I don't know what else to do.Suggestions are welcome.

Buying new is just really expensive, I can't afford that. Using your collective wisdom there might be a solution ...

I am willing to trade these wheels for the originals. I am not mechanically blessed to do my own work other than changing tires and the basic stuff.

Thank you,Laszlo

Attached Thumbnails Chain rubbing tire-image4.jpg   Chain rubbing tire-image3.jpg   Chain rubbing tire-image2.jpg   Chain rubbing tire-image1.jpg   Chain rubbing tire-image1-2-.jpg  

Old 05-24-2015, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Make sure that the axle spacers on the rear are in the correct location. The widths are different for L and R- the right side has a R stamped on the flange to help identify it so it's possible that the wheel isn't mounted properly. I believe that the 130 is the oe size for the rear- the 150 is really to wide for this bike.

Last edited by GBAUTO; 05-24-2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:54 AM

There are no spacers and this bike on the rear axle. I don't think there is enough room the have one.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

It looks like you are using the stock hubs so there should be spacers that fit into the bearing/seal on each side of the hub. Those are the spacers I'm referring to-if those are not there then you have bigger issues. p/n 92152A &92152B are the spacers I'm talking about.

Last edited by GBAUTO; 05-24-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:11 PM

Yes I have those spacers, I will check for the correct l location, thank you.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

You may want to look at the wheel offset - the tire should be centered in the swing arm when looking at the position up front. If they built the wheels they may have made a mistake when truing the rims. The off set may be off to the left.

Even if it isn't off, you can actually slightly tweak it to the right.

If you don't know how to do this, any mechanic can do it for you. It is simply a case of turning all the left side spokes 1/2 to 1 turn loose, then tighten the right side spokes that 1/2 to 1 turn tighter. That will move the rim to the right. We have a number of riders have done that in the Yahoo KLX650 group to put wider tires on them. This can actually be done on the bike. Tap the spokes to listen to the tone, then when you tighten spokes you will know how tight to tighten them - about the same "ping". You can also hold a pencil or the like on the rim while spinning the tire gently to verify the rim is trued straight - no side to side play. Shouldn't be a problem if all is done carefully.

I don't recommend you do the offset or re-truing if you've never done anything like that. I did bicycles before the motorcycles - much more sensitive to spoke tightness.

Last ditch - put the bike on a stand, run the bike in gear - CAREFULLY - and hold a sanding block against the edge of the tire. You can take of maybe 1/4" on that edge without affecting anything.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by klx678
You may want to look at the wheel offset - the tire should be centered in the swing arm when looking at the position up front. If they built the wheels they may have made a mistake when truing the rims. The off set may be off to the left.

Even if it isn't off, you can actually slightly tweak it to the right.

If you don't know how to do this, any mechanic can do it for you. It is simply a case of turning all the left side spokes 1/2 to 1 turn loose, then tighten the right side spokes that 1/2 to 1 turn tighter. That will move the rim to the right. We have a number of riders have done that in the Yahoo KLX650 group to put wider tires on them. This can actually be done on the bike. Tap the spokes to listen to the tone, then when you tighten spokes you will know how tight to tighten them - about the same "ping". You can also hold a pencil or the like on the rim while spinning the tire gently to verify the rim is trued straight - no side to side play. Shouldn't be a problem if all is done carefully.

I don't recommend you do the offset or re-truing if you've never done anything like that. I did bicycles before the motorcycles - much more sensitive to spoke tightness.

Last ditch - put the bike on a stand, run the bike in gear - CAREFULLY - and hold a sanding block against the edge of the tire. You can take of maybe 1/4" on that edge without affecting anything.

I did as you recommended and worked out great. It looks like the rim was offset towards the chain side. I am back from a test drive and I can live with this until I find the replacement. Thank you for your help.
Laszlo

Old 05-25-2015, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

What did you do? Sand the tire or reset the rim offset?
It's almost like the wheel was built backwards.
A call to Woody's might solve your problem if you want to pay to have it done professionally.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
What did you do? Sand the tire or reset the rim offset?
It's almost like the wheel was built backwards.
A call to Woody's might solve your problem if you want to pay to have it done professionally.
I reset the rim's offset. I think they were built backwards. My front tire also rubbing on the left.I will fix that tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice job on the fix!
What a way to dive in!
I need to get off my butt and fix my second rear wheel that has a few bad spokes, giving it a nice hop. I'm afraid it needs to be relaced completely, with a(t least) few new spokes and nipples.

Quick Reply: Chain rubbing tire