Carbzilla! 40mm Mikuni teaser post

Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
It's too bad that I can't get useable knowledge from his posts.. There is just too much chest thumping and posturing to parse out ... Oh well ... I am stoked on installing a bell or horn into the box under the air filter. Could be the next big thing for us Richard.
I don't know how big of a thing it'd be, but I'm sure it'd be a little bit of a plus.

Maybe one of the members in the US someday can make a mold of a 270 degree or so with a nice fat rounded lip to JB Weld in place around the edge of the air box's spigot hole edge that matches up nicely; offering it a reasonable price.

Btw, I'm not a fan of any divider put in the carb downstream that gets too close to the slide. I think it might interfere with the spray coming out of the pilot or needle jet..

Actually this narrow 1/2" wide (fr to back) divider seems to have been more than enough to effect performance. So I doubt I'd try anything that's longer.. It's removable too-just pull it out.

That 4 bladed thing just takes up too much space for me; unless you were putting it in a carb that was really really big.

I can see trying another vertical one in the 40mm someday. Unless comparo testing the 36mm w/wo it shows it's not working...but I really doubt that will happen. One thing I do know is the Kaw was not any slower as it crossed the end of my test straight.

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 07-24-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

This guy made a nice insert for his carb. I doubt the one I make for the 36/40 will be involve that much effort.

I'll just slice into the bell or throat a bit and add a piece here or there. If it doesn't work, I'll take it out and JB over the slice. No big deal.

When I get off my butt and get going on mods again I'll be looking at both ends of the carbs.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 AM
1st Gear Member

It seems to me the divider reshapes the airflow in an advantageous manner. I'm hoping to do the same with a properly designed insert for the airbox. Also interesting would be the effects of a divider in the throat of the airbox leading into the boot...?

I'm looking for airflow mods that allow more precise jetting - At this point, I'm lean up to 6.5 k and rich to 9k....

Last edited by Klxster; 08-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes they all have interesting possibilities. But you'd have to be able to do quick and easy before/after comparisons to even begin to know if something is working. Ideally by roll on racing a friend, which be fastest and cheapest.

And of course have a/f meter access to see if the jetting needs change. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

At part throttle the dividers create a mini venturi increasing airflow, am I on the right track? Seems to make sense, increasing response at idle to half throttle.