Carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:39 AM

Jetting would be nice but isn't a possibility right now, I did however manage to take it apart again and soak it in some carb cleaner overnight, unfortunately the parts store I went too didn't have the bucket of carb cleaner so the best I could do was pull the jets and set them in a clean empty bottle and spray some in there enough for it to cover them, and then took a pipe cleaner and ran it through every orifice on the carb followed by carb cleaner then compressed air. After soaking the jets for 24 hours I pulled them out and reassembled the carb and reinstalled it. After a few times of cranking it finally fired up and ran almost perfect. Only issue now is when I blip the throttle to maybe 6-7k RPM when I let off the RPM drop then raises on its own for a second and then finally goes back to idle, is this normal or is something still wrong? I took a video but am having trouble uploading it at the moment, will try my best to upload it later.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:15 AM

Also, just went out to start the bike after sitting all weekend, and it would not start just cranks no sputtering or nothing. But when I pulled the intake tube and put my hand over the carb I could feel it sucking and then it started sputtering and after covering my hand in gas it started but wouldn't stay running.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't stick your hand in gas.
Did you turn the adj screw 2-3 out?
You probably have an issue with the diaphram.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:20 PM

Sorry I worded that terribly, I didn't stick my hand in gas. When I covered the intake to the carbon and tried to crank it, the vacuum from my hand drew the fuel up from the bowl thus some of it got on my hand.

Originally Posted by durielk
Don't stick your hand in gas.
Did you turn the adj screw 2-3 out?
You probably have an issue with the diaphram.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:27 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by focus_racer19
Jetting would be nice but isn't a possibility right now, I did however manage to take it apart again and soak it in some carb cleaner overnight, unfortunately the parts store I went too didn't have the bucket of carb cleaner so the best I could do was pull the jets and set them in a clean empty bottle and spray some in there enough for it to cover them, and then took a pipe cleaner and ran it through every orifice on the carb followed by carb cleaner then compressed air. After soaking the jets for 24 hours I pulled them out and reassembled the carb and reinstalled it. After a few times of cranking it finally fired up and ran almost perfect. Only issue now is when I blip the throttle to maybe 6-7k RPM when I let off the RPM drop then raises on its own for a second and then finally goes back to idle, is this normal or is something still wrong? I took a video but am having trouble uploading it at the moment, will try my best to upload it later.
You mention a "pipe cleaner". While a pipe cleaner and/or q-tip can be helpful in cleaning certain areas of a carb, the pilot jet ofter requires use of a fine wire to be inserted through the pilot jet while immersed or soaked in some carb cleaner like Chemtool B12. I've not found a carb that I've encountered yet to require a full, complete disassembly for the body to soak in a container. This is great and it works, however, you must be absolutely sure you have every single rubber, plastic, and other non-metal parts out of that carb body. Even some metals are not up to surviving some carb cleaners out there.

I did not see you mention running a wire...one bristle from a steel wire brush will work...through your pilot jet. This is the consistent location of gummed fuel, and just blowing air through it won't always clear the passage. Some will warn you about sticking a steel wire in your brass pilot jet due to damage. True, but unless your poking the tip of that wire brush single bristle into the jet at angles with force, you won't hurt the jet. Stick the wire all the way through the jet and rotate it and the jet around with a little Chemtool B12...available at Walmart and most auto parts. I suggest some simple Harbor Freight nitrile gloves...something a home mechanic should always have on hand for a myriad of jobs...even though B12 isn't quite as nasty as some of the available carb cleaners. After some compressed air is blown through the jet, you should see a nice, clear, round hole of daylight. If you don't, repeat the process.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:09 PM

okay ran the wire through and saw some daylight but the jets so tiny its hard to see but i did see some light. But like I said when I reassembled the carb it fired up once and then just died off and would not crank again. So I once again took off the air inlet hose and placed my hand over the opening on the carb and after a few cranks it fired up but wont stay running if i move my hand, which I know is due to having too much air and not enough vacuum. So thats a problem that I have no idea why its doing that. The air filter is clean and is brand new. Also when I did get the bike started it does this weird rev thing when you let off the throttle. I took a video so hopefully that helps.

http://vid177.photobucket.com/albums...118_132448.mp4