Can't get my bike to run!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Default Can't get my bike to run!

Well about month ago i blew a headgasket from overheating. it's possible the cylinder warped, obviously i can't tell, but i don't think it did either.. but anyways the bike has been set back up with new gaskets & was cleaned up, valves, adjusted & the bike jetted, but upon trying to turn it on. it starts, but HARDLY runs. unstable revs that will shut off at any idle below 1700rpm & will shut off regardless shortly after riding.

Now the only thing changed was i drilled the crankcase vent with a 1/2 in. bit.. could the fuel screw need adjusted after this?? could it be the timing wasn't set up properly? or a warped head? if i'm lucky maybe all of them? -_-

Also does the klx300 shock fit our bikes.. mine is going bad & am considering my options.

06 klx351

Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Saw the post on adv. What carb is on the bike? How long did it sit? With fuel in it?

It starts, so that is at least a beginning. Does it smoke? Missfire, backfire, all the above?

So far as idling, I can make mine idle at 1500 I believe as lowest. I have it set at I think 1700 as I don't have to fiddle with the choke so much when getting going. I could just be off on idle adjustment.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:51 AM

Bill blue tm33/34 it's been sitting a solid month or so, but there shouldn't have been any gas in the carb. i can spray some carb cleaner, but i have huge doubts of it being dirty to be honest since it was jetted & cleaned beforehand.

it's not been on the bike after it was brought home from being jetted. so i shook out the remaining gas that was in it, but i didn't take out any parts from it.

I used to have no issue having it idle at around 1500 before, has been erratic now though. will fluctuate about 2 or 300rpms in range up & down from time to time

Last edited by jaken33; 03-10-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

If you re-jetted it, then you need to adj the air screw.
It is the finishing of the process!

Old 03-10-2014, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Crank case vent has no affect on the carb.
Recheck your cam timing.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 AM

it was professionally jetted. i'd assume he adjusted everything, but who knows because it had a blown headgasket.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Fluctuating idle sounds like a pilot ajustment is needed. Though I can't remember off the top of my head whether that's a sign of being lean or rich, I'm thinking lean. How does it run with choke? Without?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM

ehh it will start without a choke if the rpm is above 1700 i believe. but it needs more testing to be sure. started right up with the choke though. it appears my battery is dead and won't really hold a charge, but it's been bad for awhile.. i got jumper cables so i'll just hook it up & make adjustments if it's the fuel. i think i'll recheck the timing though because that is extremely important!

By the way. Thanks for the responses everybody!

Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't really think you can adj your carb on the bench or at the shop without starting the bike. Talk to the guy that jetted it.
Kinda like sending your new slacks to the seamstress to get them hemmed, if you don't take the whole person, how does she know where to hem them?

Last edited by durielk; 03-10-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Kinda like sending your new slacks to the seamstress to get them hemmed, if you don't take the whole person, how does she know where to hem them?
Plus not as fun...LOL

Quick Reply: Can't get my bike to run!