Can you help? Which is the horn power wire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Can you help? Which is the horn power wire?

Can you help? Is the brown wire the ground or power wire?

Thinking of changing the horn cause I don't like the stock one. Thanks!

Also, power consumption thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Can you help? Which is the horn power wire?-img_4867.jpg  
Old 08-19-2015, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I think its the brown one, but get a multitester and find out yourself.

If you're going for one of the louder horns, it may overpower the system blowing fuses and possibly worse. Do it right and get a relay and wire directly to the battery (fused) or install another fuse block.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd like to replace my horn one day too, interested to see what you're putting on.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default test light

Originally Posted by mightythree

whadoyaneed a airhorn?!

ok,

if you want to find the power wire to the horn,

hook the test light clip to your negative battery terminal (ground) or a good ground on your motorcycle.

then probe the two wires at the terminals that connect the wires to the horn, go slow , (one connector at a time)

in the photo you have of the horn I see the brown wire, but there is another wire right below it, looks like black with stripe? its hidden in that plastic covering. one of those two wires, is your power wire. the other the ground wire.

one will light up (that's your power wire for the horn)

one will not (that's the ground wire for the horn)

do this test with the key 'on'

your aftermarket horn will have different color coded wires, but hook them up accordingly to the directions supplied, to your existing horn wires.

I would imagine if you wanted to use a multitester, set the tester to DC voltage.

hook one lead to the negative terminal on the battery, or a good ground on the motorcycle. with the key on, probe one connector at time.

one wire will read battery voltage. 12.373 Volts lets just say for example

that's your power wire.

btw,

I bought one of these,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Waekon-Ma...7012/203153962

when I cant reach the battery, or find a good ground, I just use this. saves time, and it works.

and check out some of my youtube videos!

signal dynamics led license plate install, and signal dynamics headlight modulator install, and happy trails w.o.w led modulating brake light install!

Last edited by KLX25O; 08-20-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default did you find the wire

Originally Posted by mightythree

did you find the wire?

there is a KLX manual in the sticky, and a wiring diagram.

I'm not really good at wiring diagrams,

but I you can see from the horn button on the handlebars and how the wires go to the horn, and then split off into 'branches' on other circuits, I wasn't able to trace the two wires from the horn to a for certain ground, but one wire should be a common ground for different branches of the circuit. and one wire is the wire running back to the horn button for power.

just wondering.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLX25O
did you find the wire?

there is a KLX manual in the sticky, and a wiring diagram.

I'm not really good at wiring diagrams,

but I you can see from the horn button on the handlebars and how the wires go to the horn, and then split off into 'branches' on other circuits, I wasn't able to trace the two wires from the horn to a for certain ground, but one wire should be a common ground for different branches of the circuit. and one wire is the wire running back to the horn button for power.

just wondering.
I haven't started to look into yet. I ordered a few things, a cheap horn included, from bikerzbits (Thailand) and I'm awaiting shipment. I'll get the multitester in a few days and post what I discover.

I'll probably wind up purchasing the stebel air horn.

I found an interesting article by searching wiring diagrams for the stebel air horn.

Life on two wheels, the scoot commute: Project report: Installing a Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn

The author suggests (for scooters) that the stock horn gets all the power it needs straight from the horn button.

I wonder if thats true for the KLX too?

Attached Thumbnails Can you help? Which is the horn power wire?-circuit.jpg  
Old 08-23-2015, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

The Stebel includes a 30A horn replay. You should have everything you need out of the package. Do a before and after test of the horn.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default beep beep

[QUOTE=mightythree;523641]I haven't started to look into yet. I ordered a few things, a cheap horn included, from bikerzbits (Thailand) and I'm awaiting shipment. I'll get the multitester in a few days and post what I discover.

what did you find out? had you found the wires? just interested to see if you installed the air horn.

The stock horn does scare deer in my neck of the woods.

I bet the air horn would too...

I drive a big truck with a air horn, and you will get noticed when you honk the horn.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

So the package from Thailand still hasn't come but I did order the Denali dualtone Soundbomb and man that thing is a whole lot bigger than it looked in the videos. When the package (including the plug & play wiring harness) came in the mail the other day, I laid it all out and started to look at where and how to mount it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much room to mount it anywhere other than the stock horn's location. That wouldn't have been a problem if the horn had come with the mounting plate that it appears to have been missing. My guess is that someone opened the package and out it came (along with any instructions, which I found online as a PDF), never finding its way back into the package. A simple 90 degree bend would not have likely sufficed. Reason being that the horn needs to face left, not forward on the KLX. I looked at options for mounting on the right side of the bike as well. Each would need fabrication of a mount. As I want to get a skid plate mounted first, I've decided to hold off on mounting the horn for now.

I noticed on the back of the stock horn a few numbers 41 and 22. ?? Not sure what they are ..

As far as the horn wires, i still dont have an answer. Things at work have picked up lately and have kept me pretty busy not to mention the honey do lists.

Attached Thumbnails Can you help? Which is the horn power wire?-img_5005.jpg   Can you help? Which is the horn power wire?-img_5007.jpg   Can you help? Which is the horn power wire?-img_5012.jpg   Can you help? Which is the horn power wire?-img_5013.jpg   Can you help? Which is the horn power wire?-img_5011.jpg  

Old 09-06-2015, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

If you needed to fabricate a mount, a option would be something like a piece of flat iron that you can get from Lowes or Home Depot.

You could bend the angle you want in a vice,

then mark and drill your holes on your mount.

you could even go as far as getting a tap and dye set and drilling and threading your mount locations on the frame.

I like the idea of plug and play harness, very easy to install. My signal dynamics headlight modulator was plug and play also.