Can anyone kick start their KLX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Can anyone kick start their KLX?

I went to all the trouble to install a kick starter on my KLX but cannot start it with the lever.

Any tips, am I missing something?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Key and run switch on?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

On rare occasion I can get it started with a kick.

Mark and others suggested removing the KACR. Next time in I'm going to do that.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Since I don't ride alone I never worried about no kick starter... Bump start!

But that's no answer. I would guess that the compression release isn't in proper position for kick starting. Fact is according to Marcelino in his post, the stock position isn't really optimal for electric.

You could try one thing. Put the bike in gear, back it up against compression, then do the kick start. That is essentially what we, who have either Yamaha SR500s or some British single, do when we use the manual compression releases. We kick up to TDC compression, then use the release to just ease it past TDC, then give a hefty kick. Gives the engine a chance to spin up good before hitting compression again.

If you remove or disable the KACR you can do a similar thing if it is too hard to just kick through. Go up against TDC, then put enough pressure to just let it ease over, then kick with purpose.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, I have the key on!

The problem for me is that we ride in the woods a lot and it's New England. If I am stuck it's usually in the mud someplace, at the bottom of a long rocky hill or high centered on a root on a long wet, slippery incline.

Sometimes, it's almost impossible to move the bike, let along push it enough for bump starting. Even if you could there may not be traction. This is why I got the kick start.

I added an LED head and brake light, and the head light can be disconnected. I also went to a Trail Tech computer. On a 06-07 this eliminates a lot of little back lights on the dash. May main idea now is to eliminate draw on the battery in difficult situations.

I guess I will try the kick start again, but in about a year with it I have not gotten it to kick start. My bike is jetted great and runs with a touch of the button, but try and I may I cannot get it to kick hot or cold.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you twisting the throttle when you kick it?
With a stock carb this is a mistake IMO.
Option #2: Take it to someone who used to start bikes before elec starters and watch him start it. There is kinda a technique to it.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

is the trouble hot or cold or both? I've kicked the old 250r's and 300's and they usually start right up IF the valves are good. But you have to find a good compromise on the fuel screw/pilot/idle setting to get it to do it both hot AND cold. Tuning with the TM carb might require a different approach cold (pump squirts), vs. hot (don't touch that throttle)

Old 07-24-2016, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Are you twisting the throttle when you kick it?
With a stock carb this is a mistake IMO.
Option #2: Take it to someone who used to start bikes before elec starters and watch him start it. There is kinda a technique to it.
I ride with a guy with a kick only xr400. He cannot kick it, others have tried and nobody can.

My bike fires instantly on the electric start. It's a mystery.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you tune your carb? How many turns out is your air screw?
Your fuel has got to be messed up at idle.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I hate that you bought it and installed it and can't use it. I don't know nothin' 'bout nothin', but have you pulled the spark plug and laid it on the head to see if your getting spark when you kick it over? When you kick it hard, like stand on it, is the motor turning over three or four times? If not, is compression release set wrong? Still, I gotta wonder if it's electrical...

Quick Reply: Can anyone kick start their KLX?