Cam Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cam Chain Tensioner

Hey guys i just found out today what the metallic noise (like a metallic clapping/rattle) coming from my bike was. I did some research and it appears to be the chain tensioner. I will probably be ordering the Krieger tensioner soon but i was just wondering what the problems of riding with it worn out is? its been making that strange noise for a good while now (about 2 months) and ive been riding around hoping itd go away. It hasnt gone away obviously because it needs to be replaced, this is a rookie mistake i know. So what could have happened while riding it like this for so long? Do i need to get the timing right once i replace the tensioner? Could there be any damage to the transmission or motor? Id like to thank you guys in advance for taking your time to read/help! Gacias Amigos!

~Virus

Old 07-20-2015, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

It could jump a tooth, stretch the chain or cause excessive wear. Barring no obvious wear or damage to your chain, the rest of your bike will be fine. If it jumped a tooth you'd find out REALLY quick (kaboom).

You shouldn't need to change the timing at all. Just follow the instructions included with the tensioner and enjoy all the other sounds you'll now be able to hear (and worry about).

The stock tensioner has little teeth on it that wear out and cause the tensioner to back off. This lets the chain have a little too much slack and it'll bounce around and slap against the guard. Certainly not the end of the world.

Last edited by pwjm; 07-20-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

You should be good, it isn't a catastrophic instant failure, it is progressive. I've been in contact with a couple people who had the cam chain jump, one had it actually break, which will likely trash the valves or more. But that takes some time to reach that point. Just do something now and you should be good.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet! Just ordered the new tensioner today, cant wait to slap it on there! thank you fellas!

Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

You'll be another of many happy customers.

Mark - I'm curious. How many KLX250 tensioners have you produced?

Old 07-21-2015, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to butt in here, but I already have the manual tensioner on my bike. Only had it 2 months and haven't adjusted it yet and don't want to mess it up. Starting to get loud now. From what I've read, this is how I should do it. Get motor up to full running temp, back tensioner screw out a little until noisey. Then back in just until it gets quiet. Tighten lock nut, done. Just wondering if this is correct? I'm reading a few different methods on doung this. But since it's not from the instructions that came with tensioner itself, I'm unsure what is correct. Like I said, was on the bike when I bought it, and PO had no clue. Please don't reply if your not 100% sure. It will only make it more confusing.

Thanks guys....

Old 07-21-2015, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Social Virus, the box went in the mail today...

IDRIDR, I don't really know, probably about 300 or so. Seems I'm the only one making them. Those on ebay are apparently like the KLR250/650 KLX650. I've had a few who asked if mine fit. I told them I'd give money back if not.

Werloc, what cigar is that?

By the way here is the direction for full temp adjustment:
If you want to attempt fine tuning of the adjustment start the engine and warm it up to operating temperature and: with the engine running,
  • Loosen the locking nut and the tensioner bolt enough to hear and/or feel the cam chains tapping on the adjuster bolt.
  • Gently finger-tighten the tensioner bolt until there is no detectable rattle/vibration.
  • Back out the tensioner bolt slightly until there is detectable light rattle/vibration (listen/feel very carefully, this is extra-fine tuning to make sure you don't over tighten)
  • Tighten the tensioner bolt back in slightly (probably less than 1/8 turn) until tappng/rattle is gone again.
  • Tighten the locking nut, holding the tensioner allen nut with the 6mm allen wrench to keep the bolt from turning

I've emphasized important points to remember and it is slightly different than the original document, which I need to edit for clarity.

As for those other adjustment methods...

Under no circumstances do you ever tighten the bolt until the idle drops or you hear noise. You need to remember friction against something makes the idle drop or make noise... it could be your cams in the head!

Last edited by klx678; 07-21-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

That's an old pic, and should prolly update it since my hair is gray now....LOL I've been using that avatar pic on forums since 1998. That's most likely an Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 Maduro which is my go to cigar.

Hey, thanks for the adjustment info. So nothing different or special. It's just like any other manual tensioner. I figured so, but just wanted to be sure. Just don't have time or money for unnecessary repairs.

Thanks again.....

Old 07-23-2015, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been enjoying the Dolce Vita maduro figurados from Thompson Cigar. About $50/box of 20, but good. Last about an hour. Nothing like a stogie, a beer, and the great outdoors.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Social Virus, the box went in the mail today...
Sweet, thank you!

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Tensioner