Cam Bucket Wear Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Cam Bucket Wear Need Advice

Hello peeps, been on the forum for a quite some time... became a member a while back and for the most part have just read and exchanged posts. I believe this would be my first actual thread, I've never had to start one since everything I've ever questioned has been answered in previous threads... this place truly is one of the best sources out there for the KLX.

Getting ready to put in a 351 and a set of 101 Webcams before spring gets rolling on us.

Pulled the valve cover today and checked the clearances before I started pulling everything apart. Everything checked out pretty decent for 6000 miles.

EX-L: 0.007'' EX-R: 0.006'' IN-L: 0.005 IN-R:0.006''

Pulled the cam cage and cams... everything inspected fine (those left side journals are undersized and it shows in the natural wear over the life of the bike as very light brush streaks show on the aluminum journals, my opinion at least).

Anyways... the EX-R bucket had some pitting or watever you would call it in the very center of the bucket. The pitting is somewhat mild, catches the finger nail, I would approximate the the average surface deviation at thousandth or two maybe (just a guess obviously). Not sure why it is really there, the respective cam lobe is ever so slightly pointed in comparison to its partner, but it showed no scratching or anything else alarming as it was shiny smooth as would be expected.

Point is I will probably get new buckets ($25 a piece for oem from local powersports place... part number 12032-004) but before I do order them, I wanted to read the key board strokes of the experienced out here on this forum first.

Any comments?

Think it would be crazy to reuse the buckets with the new Webcams going in?

I'll be pulling the head apart later after I go pick up a 8mm allen socket... so maybe more to see inside there not sure at the moment. I've never had any real issues with the bike besides its hard to start... but we all know that already. I have jetted the carb via dyno jet kit and drilled the starter jet. Think I had the 124 in there originally, then swapped for the 128 late last summer just to see the difference... bike may be slightly rich at this point but it's hard to tell.

Also, does anyone have a good lead to were I could order some new buckets from. Perhaps cheaper or better source?

Bike is in the dining room at the moment... been tinkering with it all winter. Everything from a new HID head light, edge tail light, turn signals, diablo rosa 120 and 140 tires, to SS brake lines. Getting very excited.

Attached Thumbnails Cam Bucket Wear Need Advice-dscf0667.jpg   Cam Bucket Wear Need Advice-dscf0665.jpg   Cam Bucket Wear Need Advice-dscf0672.jpg  

Last edited by LikesToThump; 04-05-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd get a new bucket. That's the area that rides on the shim and gets the most stress. $25 is a good price compared to BikeBandit $33.00.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 04-06-2014, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

You think I'd be fine with just replacing the one bucket... ?

Pulled the head this afternoon and everything looked fine. The piston and valves had a nice coat of soot so it looks like I was a bit rich as I suspected.

Last edited by LikesToThump; 04-06-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

The rest look fine. Must have had an issue with heat-treating on the bad one.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

That's too bad. Good job catching it. Replace that one without question. I'm eager to hear your cam report.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Just as an update... I finally got some decent riding in (yea I know took all summer!).

By doing the 351 mod and the 101 webcam install at the same time its hard to say how much power the cam provided in addition to the 351 mod.

What I can say however is omg how much of a difference the cam made a difference in terms of response! In the past cracking the throttle at 55mph was like kicking a prius... now it actually breaths and picks right up. The power delivery is so much smoother across the board. Can't tell you if it was worth $350 but now that I forgot all about spending the money in the first place I don't regret it one bit! :-)

Besides that the bike gets on one wheel like nothing... can't wait to send the head out this fall and order a new header, the modding never stops! lol

Last edited by LikesToThump; 09-07-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Our resident cam guru - Zomby Woof - has pointed out that performance cams can benefit an engine more when they are timed correctly - and that the webcams are probably carrying stock lobe centers since they are re-welds of stock cams - just more duration and lift. He can correct me if I'm wrong but it may be that the 101 grind may offer even more if re-timed ala the Marecelino Cam Mod. Assuming there is enough clearance - valve to piston..

Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Not a cam guru by any means, in fact I didn't know there was more to be concerned with than duration, and lift... well besides overlap and such... like I said I know little.

I haven't heard of it yet, but I'm not interested in being a guinea pig by any means lol. I'll be pulling the head this winter for a quality port and polish (it's all there really is left to spend money on!)... then I'll be focusing on my 85 chevy 3/4 ton camper special withe the 454 big block. :-D Gosh I love being a single gearhead!