Buying used bike tonight, what to look for....??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking Buying used bike tonight, what to look for....??

Hi, I just joined and this is my first post. Tonight I'm planning to buy a used 2009 KLX250S with 7,500 mls, full FMF Q4 system, jeted, worked suspension with heavier springs Frt & Rr, RaceTech Gold Valve up front, 3 gal tank, manual cam chain tensioner, with other extras. Bike looks real clean and done right, not ridden hard.

I was looking at WR's, but desided I prefer the KLX due to lower seat hight having a bad back and right leg. Anyway, don't know much about this bike, so any advice as what I should pay any special attention to looking at, or ask seller about. I've had bikes since I was 6 so I'm not new to bikes, just this one. My use will be 90% off road 10% on. I'm on the heavy side, so the suspension work and heavier springs are a major plus for me.

Thanks
Bob

Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd make sure the engine was plenty hot, then ride it like I would offroad - snaps to WOT from a low RPM, etc etc.. If you buy it with carb/jetting issues thinking your gonna fix it yourself, be prepared for a worst case scenario - buying a new carb ($350+) and new jet kit($60+)..

Old 06-11-2015, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Check chain and sprockets for excessive wear. If these parts are neglected, you can be sure most others are as well.

check the suspension for leaks or anything that stands out. Check the swing arm bushings for play.

Klxster is dead on. Currently working through some jetting issues of my own and it's not fun. Run a good couple WOT runs from 2k to 9k on that bike for sure.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Most commonly overlooked

Tires need replaced soon -$150

Chain and sprockets worn - $150 Look for hooking on the countershaft. Looks good, but it's not:

Obviously run the bike, but don't skip details. Sounds interesting.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I know all the basics guys. I was a motorcycle mechanic and wrenched in dealerships my whole life, 30+ years. I was just asking about any known issues or problem areas on "This model" bike. I don't know it at all. None of my riding buddies own one, or any Kawasaki's for that matter. I was looking for a WR250, but due to 2 failed back surgeries, and a bad right leg, they are just to high for me to throw my leg over, as well as the KTM's. Came across this totally worked/modded 09 KLXs for a price I just couldn't pass up. Not knowing "anything" about the KLX250s, I jumped in blind, and joined this forum to learn the querks and what not, coming off a Yamaha aircooled thumper as my last dual sport ride. I'd like look into getting a kick start kit, lowering link, and maybe different gearing, as everything else has already been done. I mean everything, and then some, just short of a big bore kit.

BTW, Is there an owners manual anywhere online? I have to figure out the dash. I did get a factory service manual with the bike, which is great.

Thanks guys.....

Last edited by Werloc; 06-11-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

You can download owner's manuals from Kawasaki's website:
Manual

Or choose another year/model here: Owner's & Service Manual | Kawasaki Vehicle Manuals
Link says 'servicemanuals', but it's just the owner's manuals that are free downloads.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool, Thanks man.....

Old 06-13-2015, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

then you should be good to go. Only 3 known issues, two are dealt with on the bike, the only other one is the shift star. I don't know how critical it is or if it is just that some have broken them and it is now an issue due to that. Can't say.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
then you should be good to go. Only 3 known issues, two are dealt with on the bike, the only other one is the shift star. I don't know how critical it is or if it is just that some have broken them and it is now an issue due to that. Can't say.
Two are dealt with on the bike? Not following ya. Can you explain? Maybe it's me, I don't know.....LOL

BTW, I called the PO and he said the shifter star was updated to the good one.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Wasn't there something about the wire harness on the 09 or was it later.

Quick Reply: Buying used bike tonight, what to look for....??