Buying a KLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 02:54 AM
Default Buying a KLX

Hey guys, new here, but not to motorcycles or forums. Wanted to drop by and say hey, as well as reach out for some advice.

I've decided I'm finally going to scratch the dual sport itch I've had for a while. I've been on street bikes ranging from SV650's to ZX10R's to Speed Triples for a little over a decade, but haven't actually been on a dirtbike since I broke my back on an RM80 when I was 14. Recently I've been looking for a bike that I won't be able to go crazy on the streets with, but will be capable around town and on the trails.

So anyways, I've been keeping my eye out and have found a 2012 KLX250 with ~8k miles on craigslist (klx250s). I am meeting the owner tomorrow night to look it over and go for a test ride. What do you guys think? Seems like a good deal to me and I got him down to $2500. Anything in particular I should look out for? Obviously the ad itself isn't the most informative I've ever seen, so I will definitely be on alert for any red flags. But then again the best mechanic I ever knew could barely form sentences, let alone write coherently, so I don't want to write it off. I promise I have done my best to do my due diligence searching this and other forums before I posted. Just wanted some informed opinions.

I've always been the kind to ride/mod a bike for 5k miles and then move on to the next project, so the ~8K miles scare that part of my brain, even though everything I've read show these bikes should go well beyond that. Anyways, I really appreciate any advice you guys may have and thanks for reading! If I wind up pulling the trigger on this tomorrow you will definitely be seeing a lot of me!

Old 05-21-2016, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

7500 is the valve check interval.
Ask if it's been done and if the shims were changed.
If it hasn't been done, use that to bargain with.
But the lack of a valve check should be fine if the bike looks in good order.
Listen for the cam chain rattle around 5K rpm. Another bargaining chip and an easy fix.
Good luck.
Oh yeah, I have 53,000mi on mine. Still going. Freakin' Timex.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Also know that for about $500 you can get significantly more engine performance. This is a full performance exhaust system, a DynoJet kit, and a call to DynoJet for one extra main jet.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
7500 is the valve check interval.
Ask if it's been done and if the shims were changed.
If it hasn't been done, use that to bargain with.
But the lack of a valve check should be fine if the bike looks in good order.
Listen for the cam chain rattle around 5K rpm. Another bargaining chip and an easy fix.
Good luck.
Oh yeah, I have 53,000mi on mine. Still going. Freakin' Timex.
Agreed, if there is cam drive rattle around 5000 rpm or so, get at least a $50 price cut, $100 if possible for labor- it is easy, takes about a half hour to do a manual unit. Look at chain and sprockets too.

I wouldn't make it a deal breaker with the price at $2500 if the bike is decent condition.

Ask about jetting and valve adjustment. If not done, make that first thing to do. Jetting can be done with Dyno Jet or by using Keihin carb brass easily sourced from a Kaw dealer or on-line. Makes the bike start easily. Also the Marcelino cam timing mod helps with torque over the full range. Links in signature.

8000 miles is barely broken in. I'm at 15,000 on mine, not much of it done by me, got it used.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX is a great bike for what it is... It is NOT a highway machine, or a tourer... My 2011 came to me stock, and after 3 rides I decided the 250cc was not sufficient to haul my fat *** over stumps, rocks, etc...

Went to Bill Blues 351 kit and a TM36-68 pumper carb, and a slipon. NIght and day!!! This is the bike it should be!! The bike is a different machine. Smiles every time I go out.

Anyways, it's a great bike! I paid 3000$ Cdn for my 2011, in mint condition with 5000km on it... People buy them, then sell them cheap because it's not "the bike they thought it was". But it can be!!

Old 05-22-2016, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Seems many riders that are satisfied are either new riders or experienced riders who understand there is no replacement for displacement when it comes to power.

In other words the new rider doesn't come in with pre-formed expectations. They like the light easy to ride bike.

The experienced rider who is satisfied comes in realizing a 250 will NOT perform strong like even a 350 would. I am one of those. I have 50,000 miles running around on a 650 that has power out the wazoo, no way the 250 would remotely compare. I knew that, but no way the 650 can compare to the 250 when it comes to off road agility and ease of ridability. I am satisfied. I am playing with performance, but only reliable changes, no radical stuff. If I want radical I will go find a plated 450 enduro.

I will say it seems feel of power a rider feels seems to grow exponentially to displacement increase when it comes to motorcycles under 1500cc. I was amazed at what a simple 27cc increase in displacement when I went big bore on my 650, going to 678cc with no tricks and no high compression. Makes me wonder what it would be like with a 700cc set up.

I don't plan to screw too much with the 250 since I got it for the light weight and agility, not because it's a tractor or rocket. I will say some time I may have to go to either a 300, 331, or 351... maybe... and just because. Let's just see what the carb and pipe do. School's over and it's time to play in the garage.

Last edited by klx678; 05-22-2016 at 12:57 PM.